Youtube not playing videos

ahamade

Mar 9, 2011
Hi guys, I am running CyanogenMod 7 3/15/11 nightly and Dalingrin's OC kernel 3/16/11. I can not get youtube videos to play. The app opens but the video's do not play.

Anyone got any idea how to make this work?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Be sure you read the description (and current issues) of the rom you installed.

For now, CM7 does NOT have hardware video decoding working... so no YouTube app. You can get it to work by using a browser with the user agent set to 'desktop' though. Performance varies.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
As of Dalingrin's experimental build and now nightly 22, it DOES work but it is capped at a max of 8-16fps so it's choppy. But they are making progress!

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Dolphin HD + Flash 10.2 = Magic combination for Utube playing! :) :) As the other guys pointed, I tried that yesterday and it works. :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Using my HTC Desire (which has a functional Youtube app) and my NC (which has to go through Dolphin HD to see Youtube) on my home network, the NC playback was horrible while the Desire's playback was perfect. I also checked using my wife's NC (which also has to use Dolphin HD) and it was also horrible. Frankly I'm amazed that the developers can't manage to do what the original autonootered NC could do with the Youtube app..

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, I did the tried watching with my NC using CM7 v4.1 and v5.0, as well as UD 3.1.2 (my wife's, and what I'm currently running..) None have had decent results. If Youtube was more important to me, I'd go back to a plain old autonooter because everything I've see out of a ROM completely sucks. Very disappointing.

ahamade

Mar 9, 2011
I upgraded to Nightly 22 and Dalingrin's latest kernal and now Youtube works. Yeah its choppy but least it works. Appreciate the help guys.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Also, someone put together a YouTubeXL app that works pretty damn well, even on CM7, and it should work with any rom. I'll find that link again...

...here we go:
I noticed how youtube/xl worked pretty well over on the Nook CM7, so I made my 1st app, hot out the oven! =) Skipping ahead through videos doesn't work so well but all other native controls work fine.. Feedback? Ideas? Props?

I attached the .apk on Cyanogenmod Forums..
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/16323-cm7-discussion-of-nightlies/page__st__440#entry157411

I have installed this to my NC and it works real well.

Last edited:

aludal

Dec 12, 2010
Regular YouTube works on n22...n23 fine, smooth (= good FPS >30...40) on HQ (almost HD) if one forks audio via BT to a, say, laptop, by krweby method. Before the ALSA framework will be patched, it's a reasonable alternative. NC's internal speaker is mono and lousy chirper anyway, lol You can find some writeup and the krweby's demo clip in my blog.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I am running cm7 22, and YouTube definitely does not work, not in the browser or the app. My movie files won't play either.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
aludal how did you get your bluetooth to work? Mine dies nit scan at all it momentarily tries to turn on but then turns off again

i am on CM7 - 23 nightly - Daligrin's Froyo OC 1.1GHz

Regular YouTube works on n22...n23 fine, smooth (= good FPS >30...40) on HQ (almost HD) if one forks audio via BT to a, say, laptop, by krweby method. Before the ALSA framework will be patched, it's a reasonable alternative. NC's internal speaker is mono and lousy chirper anyway, lol You can find some writeup and the krweby's demo clip in my blog.