YouTube version 5 released!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
nexusae0_youtube_thumb.png

So, you may be wondering why an app update gets a topic like this, well because Google has been hard at work getting a totally new YouTube experience ready for us.

The UI is a card style layout and is very clean. I have used it and it is pretty sweet. The Tablet layout has been done very well. It has slide out navigation bar in portrait and the bar is always present in landscape which IMO just makes sense.

The best new feature is in app multi-tasking. You can make a video smaller by swiping down and to the right, tapping the down arrow in the top left or by hitting the back button. You will be taken to the previous screen and you can browse for more videos. Sadly the little video does not keep playing if you switch to other apps and the audio does not continue (maybe next update?) You can just swipe the little video back up to the left to make it bigger again.

Source: AndroidPolice

Last edited by a moderator:

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
GizJuvt.png

1pMbgEF.png

Other new/different items - HD and CC buttons are in the 3 stack menu button on the top right hand corner of the video, the auto-rotate settings work better (mainly for phones) and you can also search for playlists now instead of just videos or users.
6jdR4lX.png

Q81ANlE.png

Two other items to mention - the TV Queue UI has been updated

And finally this update give you a new icon seen here:
wOLMIQr.png

This update is being rolled out in phases. If you don't want to wait your turn, hit up the source link to get your very own copy to install yourself. Be sure to tick the UNKNOWN SOURCES in your settings before installing.

Last edited by a moderator:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Loving the new YouTube 5.0 app. Was using extensively last night, used it quite a bit with my Chromecast (can’t tell you how much I love my Chromecast). Seems to be a bit faster with projecting video on the Chromecast as well, almost instantaneous now where before it was a few seconds delay.
One thing I did notice though on the app I am not liking too much is when viewing in landscape mode and all the menus are minimized, tapping the screen to activate the Pause button and a few others seems to adjust the screen size to make it a bit smaller and it almost causes a sort of glitch whereas before, tapping the screen in full screen mode didn’t affect the aspect ratio at all and would just pop up the pause button.
Overall though its a very nice update, works as well as you would expect from a Google app.