A question for all asus tablet users

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
How long have you have your tablet, and have you had any problems with the tablet or the keyboard dock (if yours has one), does it have enough power to do what its advertised to be able to do, are there any glitches in its design or how its built? Is it solid or fragile? I want to know because i am considering getting one at some point and i just want to make sure they they are good...

Last edited:

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
The main problems with the ASUS tabs have been software related. ASUS is very good at rolling out updates though that eventually fix the issues. I've got a TF101-B1 and have had it since March 2012. I love it and don't regret buying it even with all the others that have come out recently. Most people that buy them absolutely love them, however, with every product there's an exception. When they release their line of Windows 8 tabs next year I'm planning on making that my next purchase.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have had a TF101 since June of 2011. It does what I ask of it, and more. The first one I had there was a speaker imbalance issue (left speaker about 50% volume of the right). Exchanged with Newegg, no issues. The keyboard docks had a battery drain issue that Asus did chip upgrades for, just send it in. I had no issues with that, took about 10 days to swap that out (and 7 of that was when my tablet was exchanged through Newegg).

Most of its shortfalls are software related, and not just with Asus. Granted, the Nvidia driver issue with ICS where it had random reboots and sleep of deaths for many users was frustrating, but also a lot of that was users not wiping their devices when upgrading to a new OS.

Other issues - Flash player not working for all flash items (like facebook games), M$ Office suites not fully compatible, etc.

Keeping in mind that it is a tablet and not a Windows PC, it is an awesome device. I have it up and running JellyBean and it is smoother than ever.

Build quality, it has a few creaks, but for what I paid for it I think it is pretty good. It has taken a few tumbles and has some scars, but it still works great despite being dropped a few times, sat on once and so fourth.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Pretty much what everyone else has said. I've had more for almost a year now. Mine feels solid with no creaks, never been dropped or has it given me any problems. I highly recommend them. I heard so many pros and cons about the keyboard, number one being that alot of people wind up not using them as much as they thought they would that I never bought one. If you get one I recommend a good case for it in case you do drop it.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I had a TF101 and sold it to a customer when I purchased my TF201. Both had docks. I have since sold quite a few TF201s to customers, with docks. I now either directly support or in part support over 20 Transformers and all but about 4 have docks. To this point not one has experienced a problem I couldn't fix and the problems were few, like not being able to get an update or having it turn completely off. Most of the problems were solved with finding the app that was typically at fault.

So far none have needed any repairs and a few are getting pretty old. I even had one customer who bought a TF101 and has upgraded to a TF700T because his wife, an iPad2 owner, couldn't keep her hands off his TF101;)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Have had TF101-B1 since Dec 2011 and evaluating TF700 for past week. Everything said above covers my experience. I am still getting 14-15 hours with dock and 5-6 hours without dock on my 101. For all intent, if I had the 101G, it would be perfect. I have bumped up my storage to 96Gb with 32Gb SD on Dock and 32Gb MicroSD on unit.
If I have one annoyance, it is the noticable impact of games when you have too many other elements running in background. TunedIn + Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds. You can still play and listen, it is just higher latency for some processes and video.

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
So, would you say an Asus tablet is probably one of the best ones out there, or are ther better options? I know when i go into best buy the only tablets tha dont lag when you play with them are the Asus, acer, and samsung... And Since i am planning on getting a new tablet sometime in the future (debating on android vs. windows rt/windows 8 still, but right now i am more concerned with the hardware holding up). I have an asus quadcore laptop (a gaming pc) and it has been good to me for the past two years, but my mothers pc, which doesnt have a quadcore or as much ram or anything, has had a fair amount of issues in the past 2 years... Now, i have no doubt that half of the problems are my mothers fault, but some were asus'. Like i said, i want to make sure the hardware and software are the best i can get... For a fair price.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
It is hard to say if any tablet is the best without the possibility of the opinion being biased. I would have said yesterday that the tf101 was the best. But today I got to play around with the Tab 10.1 the tab is a solid. Light weight and very,very thin. I am being offered a trade for some tools. I may go for it.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It is hard to say if any tablet is the best without the possibility of the opinion being biased. I would have said yesterday that the tf101 was the best. But today I got to play around with the Tab 10.1 the tab is a solid. Light weight and very,very thin. I am being offered a trade for some tools. I may go for it.

You're right. The TF101 by today's standards is getting old. Next month someone else will come out with a another newer better tablet than the Tab 10.1 then it will be old too. That's technology for you.

But you DID compare the TF101 not the TF700T which may have been a different story.

But you couldn't rip my TF201 out of my cold dead hands. ;)

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The same could be said for my TF101 - good luck getting it from me! Your best shot would be to trade it for a new black Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

Or I suppose a "new iPad" 32 GB or larger would be a good trade too so long as it is new in box....So I can sell it for $500+ and then go get a new TF300T or TF700T with dock!

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
True, I have no intention of getting rid of my TF101. It is a great tablet. Unless, of course, you have a black camaro you just have to part with.....!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
True, I have no intention of getting rid of my TF101. It is a great tablet. Unless, of course, you have a black camaro you just have to part with.....!

I will trade you for this 1969 black Camaro SS:

1969CamaroSS396black.jpg