Absolute Noob

1tim316

Dec 27, 2011
Hey y'all, I'm the newest noob, and after reading a few threads, I do mean NOOB!! :D That said, HELP!! Oh yeah, I'm the grateful owner of a gTablet, and I'd like to flash a new ROM, but my tech knowledge seems practically nonexistent.Is there somewhere I can look to spell everything out for me? Like a 1-2-3, A-B-C deal? Is there a gTab ROM Kindergarten?I'd sure appreciate the help, HUGE-ly!!

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
First of all, you need to ask yourself why you need/want to flash a new ROM? Is there some function you want that can't be obtained by simply rooting it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
First of all, you need to ask yourself why you need/want to flash a new ROM? Is there some function you want that can't be obtained by simply rooting it?

I agree. Rooted my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 on day 2 of owning it. Put a new ROM on yesterday, (day 6....got it for Chanukah...) because I tend to hold my tablet in portrait mode (like a book) and many screens didn't rotate. (Mainly market!)

Tried different launchers, and they didn't help, so a ROM it was! ROM also upgraded my OS to 3.2 so that was a plus!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
And that's a good reason to ROM. You wanted a function that you couldn't get any other way. (To be perfectly honest, I bought an Eris on eBay solely to ROM it. I had my X well over a year before I ROMed it.)

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Still using my original Motorola droid! Took me a year to root it (had warranty....once that was up, rooted and Rom'd)

In that case, I wanted the darn led light to blink with screen ON! Available in Cyanogen and Rom's based on it. Was "native" on phone until 2.1....

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

1tim316

Dec 27, 2011
Muchas gracias!! I'm still learning my way around the site, so the links help greatly! And, I have a feeling the fun is only just beginning.. :)

1tim316

Dec 27, 2011
Is rooting the same as repartitioning? If not, do i need to do both?

1tim316

Dec 27, 2011
A huge Thank You!! Very helpful! I've now rooted and flashed CyanogenMod 1.7.. Fantastic!!! For any skeptical reader, the process is definitely worth it!! EVERYTHING is so much better, it's amazing :D

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Congratulations Tim, glad to hear everything worked out for you. Now you're officially no longer a NOOB.:cool: