Accidentally formatted boot..

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
And obviously, now it won't boot.. Anyone got some amazing advice for me? I do have a backup that I made before I started all this CR business.. I'm copying it over to my mSD to try and restore the boot.img.. Not feeling very optimistic right now.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
RaVenJ you should be ok considereing you have just been going thorugh the process of updating and playing with custom ROMs. I believe you made a bootable SD and have the Custom ROM you just flashed on it right? Maybe you only have one card and reformatted but in any case just make the CWR bootable SD place ROM of your choice on there and then boot, flash reboot and you should be right back to where you were.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
There is a flashable "restore boot" zip file that you can use to fix /boot with a bootable SD card. Looking for the link now...

...found it: -Download flashable repartition-boot-with-stock.zip here. If you have a bootable CWR SD card, put this file on it, and install it from recovery. Remove the SD and reboot. Should be ok again.

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Face, I owe you a beer man.. That got it booting (locked up at the N, cuz it had phiremod on it) and now I'm re-flashing phiremod..

Waiting for a blue bee to show up.. and there it is!

You guys are so awesome..

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I was thinking.. You guys should sticky this thread, cuz I know I'm not the only one to do that and have a pucker moment..

Almost got it back to where I want it. Then, I'm going to quit screwing around with it lol

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Woot!

i like the simple ones... :) (not like trying to get LocalStain back on track) ;)

consumedsoul

Apr 13, 2011
Face, I owe you a beer man.. That got it booting (locked up at the N, cuz it had phiremod on it) and now I'm re-flashing phiremod..

Waiting for a blue bee to show up.. and there it is!

You guys are so awesome..

Thanks all, this thread saved my bricked 1.1 nook. :) I'm stuck on the 'n' as well on boot, how do I re-flash from here?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Woot!

i like the simple ones... :) (not like trying to get LocalStain back on track) ;)

How did I miss this a month ago?

darth200x200.jpg

LOLOLOL

Pupalei

Mar 21, 2011
I was thinking.. You guys should sticky this thread, cuz I know I'm not the only one to do that and have a pucker moment..

Almost got it back to where I want it. Then, I'm going to quit screwing around with it lol

Thank you! This thread just saved me a LOT of work. I format 'boot' as a matter of course on my OG Droid, so I did it out of habit today on my friend's nook. Luckily, Googling "formatted boot nook color" brought this thread up near the top :cool:

Friend has CM7 stable up and running, installing apps. Thanks again.

adamtalbot

Jun 1, 2011
Hello folks, I thought this would be a good place to post my issue in the hope that somebody can help :(

I rooted my Nook (1.1) last night and tried to install CM7. Managed to root without issue and install ROM Manager. Flash CWM and rebooted in to recovery.

I flashed the latest CM stable version (7.0.3, I think?) and the latest gApps.

My device got stuck in a constant boot cycle and wouldn't fire up.

I re-rooted and tried again but had no luck. I messed about a bit and know for a fact that I've formatted /data and /system. I also, it seems, foolishly, formatted /boot.

Now my Nook won't boot unless I have an SD with a bootable .img of CWM installed. I am going to follow this guide, to revert to stock 1.0.1:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

... but want to ask in this thread if wiping /boot will make a difference to the process outlined in the link above. Should I do something first before installing 1.0.1 off the SD bootable CWM?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Adam

trancerobot

Jun 4, 2011
Today I deleted my /boot with ClockworkMod (3.0.0.6) in an effort to get the stock ROM installed. After that it wouldn't boot at all without Clockwork and I couldn't even get CM7 to work. Thankfully I found this thread and it fixed my /boot problem... but like for others in this thread, it would stop at the 'n' logo.

I had assumed I could install CM7 at that point, but my goal was to get the stock ROM installed (just to see if I could). I had ran CM7 for about two or three months prior, and just out of curiosity (and because I messed up my Wifi config files tryin' to get adhoc), I decided to see if I could get it back to stock in case I need to sell it.

So I downloaded some stock roms from various places. 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.2, nothing worked. I even tried a different version of Clockwork in case it was a bug.

Then I realized... hey, I already fixed this boot thing, and it is called "repartition boot WITH stock", maybe I can do a manual restore and factory reset from here!!

I attempted to do the reset first, since it's faster. I restarted it holding down the power and 'n' buttons. Factory Reset failed... so I went ahead with the Manual Restore. This resets the rom and involves holding down the power button 6 or 8 times, and it worked. Sorta. I was still stuck at the 'n' logo. So I figured... hey, lets try that Factory Reset again. So I tried it. And it worked.

It booted and I was greeted by the lady in the introduction video. I checked the version and it's 1.0.0. Clean, stock, and ready to go.
fixednook.jpg

This fixed two problems, and I'm very happy. I ascended from the brick-abyss victoriously.

Hello folks, I thought this would be a good place to post my issue in the hope that somebody can help :(

I rooted my Nook (1.1) last night and tried to install CM7. Managed to root without issue and install ROM Manager. Flash CWM and rebooted in to recovery.

I flashed the latest CM stable version (7.0.3, I think?) and the latest gApps.

My device got stuck in a constant boot cycle and wouldn't fire up.

I re-rooted and tried again but had no luck. I messed about a bit and know for a fact that I've formatted /data and /system. I also, it seems, foolishly, formatted /boot.

Now my Nook won't boot unless I have an SD with a bootable .img of CWM installed. I am going to follow this guide, to revert to stock 1.0.1:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

... but want to ask in this thread if wiping /boot will make a difference to the process outlined in the link above. Should I do something first before installing 1.0.1 off the SD bootable CWM?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Adam

Adam, all you have to do is use repartition-boot-with-stock.zip (as seen in post #4), and then Manual Restore and Factory Reset (in that order).

Here are some better instructions.
1) Manual Restore (Rom flash back)
2) Factory Reset

Let me know if that worked.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good job trancrobot you correctly figured out the restore procedure on your own.

@adam, yes you must fix boot first if you accidently wipe it. Once you do that it is just as trance said, first the 8 boot method which should get you to the n when booting and then the power + n button to reset.

JP

cooler5678

Oct 22, 2011
hey i still cant get my NC to work after accidentally doing a phone factory reset in Cyanogenmod 7. Ive tried everything here and now it wont even boot!!! it also erased my sd card and now i cant put the CWM file back on it because Win32DiskImager keeps on getting error 8 when i go to use it and the terminal in Ubuntu/linux wont put the files on the sd card for me!!! I really need the help but i just cant find it!!!