Anybody successfully root their tablet?

jdmcc

Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

I recently bought a WonderMedia tablet as my first Android device and am very pleased with it. The only hitch is that the wifi only works when I am virtually on top of the router, so I use an Ethernet link instead. I read somewhere that a simple edit to a system file (the txpower fix) may be beneficial, but I need root access to edit this file. I have tried Z4Root which says it has successfully rooted the device (but it hasn't) and Universal_Androot which says it cannot root this device. So my question is this: has anybody successfully rooted this device (details below) or managed to boot from an SDcard or a USB drive to allow unimpeded access to the on-board system files?

On the other hand, has anybody tried this fix and found it of any use?

Thanks in advance

WonderMedia WM8650, 2G internal, 256 MB RAM
Android OS 2.2, Kernel 2.6.32.9-default, Build generic-eng2.2 Froyo Ver1.5.1-20110708.045253
Screen 7", LED: Green/Red, Headphone socket: black, Vibrate: no, Touch screen: two-finger

Nov 1, 2011
sounds like a Eken, find the manufacturer get the stock rom and replace the android2.2-froyo.tgz in the stock folder (/name of folder/firmwareinstall/packages/) with a custom rom (or leave it as is its up to you)
then add the attached file to the /firmwareinstall/packages folder
move the firmware install folder then to your sdcard and dont forget the wmt_scriptcmd file then flash :D
WM8650_enable_root.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

jdmcc

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply, sorry its taken so long to respond, but I've been away.

I think I understand what you have outlined, but I'm not ready to risk bricking my tablet yet. I read elsewhere that the only way to be 100% sure what tablet you've got is to open it up, but after viewing a couple of videos on YouTube using very sharp instruments and possibly gardening tools (I didn't spot any videos showing how to get the thing back together, by the way!), I'm not ready to go down that route yet. If you start up from the prepared sdcard, is there an option that will just allow you access without flashing? All I'd really want to try at the moment is to mimic what you can do with a live linux cd, such as Ubuntu - boot up from the cd to give you unfettered access to the operating system files on the hard drive/device.