Clear.fi A Question

Daviduk11

Aug 22, 2011
Hi guys,
Just bought my A500, and just loving it. I saw on it an app called Clear.fi. I have seen the tutorials and would like to have it on my home network. From what I gather it is embedded on Acer devices but can be used with non Acer products. I have on my network an Acer Aspire laptop about 18 months old, obviously the A500 tablet and also a home built computer running Windows 7, plus another Acer laptop for my wife, and our non Acer smartphones. From the tutorials I was given the impression that I would need clear.fi installed on each device but I cannot find anywhere to download the software for Windows 7. Can anyone help to enlighten me or do I have it all arse about face? What do I need to be able use clear.fi to stream media across all my network?
Thanking you all in advance,

David

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I found this but could not find the software.

clear.fi Client
is developed by Acer Incorporated and is used by 2416 users of Software Informer. The most popular versions of this product among our users are: 1.0 and 1.1. The name of the program executable file is . MediaSharingSetting.exe

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Hi David,

What do you see when you tap clear.fi ? I see all computers on my network that are shared.

Clear.fi supports the following DLNA media formats:
  1. Video:
    • DVR-MS, WMV, MPEG1, MPEG2-PS (.mpg), MPEG2-TS .mpg, .ts, .m2ts), H.264 (.mpg, .ts, .m2ts, .mts)
  2. Image:
    • JPG, PNG, BMP
  3. Audio:
    • MP2, WMA, WAV, PCM

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Yes, I see that also, however I have not tried to connect to them because I have no need to. All my videos, photos and music are either on a portable drive or sd card that I can access from my Iconia.
The only time I could access my home network is when I'm at home.
Why would I want to watch or listen to something on my Iconia that I can see on a larger screen on my computer?
I do know that you first have to set a folder in your computer with settings to share on your network.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Why would I want to watch or listen to something on my Iconia that I can see on a larger screen on my computer?

I agree however I don't watch movies on my PC but on my HDTV via my Boxee Box samba shares. I do use clear.fi occasionally on my a500 to view pictures that are on my networked computers.

Daviduk11

Aug 22, 2011
Hi Guys sorry for the delay. What I see when I click on clear.fi on my A500 is rather dull white screen with the devices it can see. However it cannot see any media on them. This is not the screen which is shown on tutorials. What do I need to do to get this screen and what do I need to do on my windows 7 system? I am trying to find info on how use clear.fi but without sucess. Any help would be appeciated.

David

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You have to run Clear.Fi on your PCs as well.

Some Acer PCs come with the software, but as of this time, I don't think that Acer has made it generally available.

Acer Clear.fi | Facebook

Because of this, it is largely shovel-ware (useless crapware installed by manufacturers just to appeal to the masses) at this point.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
You have to run Clear.Fi on your PCs as well.

I do not have clear.fi on my computers and I do not own any Acer computers other than the a500 Tablet, all are Dell's and HP's. clear.fi works great for me.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I do not have clear.fi on my computers and I do not own any Acer computers other than the a500 Tablet, all are Dell's and HP's. clear.fi works great for me.

Well then what ARE you running on your Dells?

Because Clear.fi needs a DLNA agent on the PC in order to work, and that far from universally available.
Are you running windows media player with streaming turned on?

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
I have Clearfi working on two of my Win7 PC's. Here is what I did:
1. Go to Control Panel on your main PC, in my case, a HP desktop. Open up Homeshare and click on "Choose what you want to share and view the Homegroup password"
2. Check what media you want to share, and hit "next"
3. You should see a password appear on the screen. You can write this down, but it is only used by other Win7 computers to view media from other Win7 computers.
4. Hit "Finish"
5. Click on "Change advanced sharing options"
6. Under "Home or work" under media streaming, click on "Chose media streaming options" and make sure it is set to "Allowed", then hit OK.
7. You can go into "Homegroup" on your other Win7 PC's and enable media sharing on them also.

On my Iconia in Clearfi, I can see my laptop and desktop that I store my stuff on!

Hope this helps!

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Well then what ARE you running on your Dells?

Because Clear.fi needs a DLNA agent on the PC in order to work, and that far from universally available.
Are you running windows media player with streaming turned on?

I ARE (lol) doing the below:

My network is shared thru Workgroup and no password. I selected the no password allowed option in my initial set up of the newtork. This is true for my win7 Dell & win7 HP also my Vista Dell & Vista HP. Oh almost forgot about my WinXP Dell.

I can view all my pictures & play all my video's and music on these shared computers with my a500. To play the video's takes way to long for them to open so I don't but do the pictures and music.

Could do this when I bought the a500 cauz my setup is so I can stream on my Boxee Box

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well see, the above two posts clear up a lot, because I couldn't get Clear.Fi to do anything either. This kind of info is good to know.

I still don't see a need for it in my case, Not being much of a movie watcher (at least not on small devices). Also, having scored a Google Music account, I can pretty much do music streaming anywhere.

Still its good to know the missing pieces are right under my finger tips. :cool:

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
So you now understand that it isn't "shovel-ware", that is good.

I don't watch movies on the small screen either but I can see that it would come in handy at certain places if you have some movies on your sd card. I have a couple on mine in different formats just to be able to answer questions here.

Yes Google Music is extremely nice, makes for a pleasant potty, lol

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Nope, its still shovelware.
Can you uninstall it without rooting?
If you do uninstall it, will your next OTA update work?

If its so good, why not put it in the market and let people choose?