CM7 SD vs eMMC performance?

envygreen

Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with both the SD bootable CM7 and installed to eMMC? I'm hesitant to bother installing to eMMC if I'm not going to see any real performance increase over my SD card bootable version.

So, what's the verdict?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I haven't run CM7 off of sdcard. But I have run Nookie off sdcard and internally. It runs faster for me internally, but make sure you have a clockwork backup of your system before you erase your internal memory. It's also good to have a spare bootable Clockwork Recovery sdcard too.

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
I've been meaning to run some tests, but been too lazy to order a faster SD card - so it is eMMC for me for now.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i would say your trade off is speed vs flexibility - eMMC is always going to be faster - but SD gives you multiple boot options

Does anyone have any experience with both the SD bootable CM7 and installed to eMMC? I'm hesitant to bother installing to eMMC if I'm not going to see any real performance increase over my SD card bootable version.

So, what's the verdict?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i would say your trade off is speed vs flexibility - eMMC is always going to be faster - but SD gives you multiple boot options

Plus it sounds like you are happy withthe current speed or you wouldn't be hesitant to change unless you were getting a "real performance increse." If you are happy with your setup no need to change. Soon enough you'll probably have the urge to do so for other reasons (don't we all) and then you can just pop out your current card and go for the latest greatest on emmc when you decide what's next for you.

envygreen

Mar 11, 2011
Well, I already had a full backup made, just in case. So... yeah, just flashed and updating my apps from Titanium/Dropbox.

I still have my class 6 card with my install that I've been using as my daily, but the one I just flashed, I used the Dalingrin test build of the OC kernel. I see that there's an 1150 option instead of 1100 that I had before... Still, I can set 1100 for the comparisons before I try it out at new new max. Will update once I've had a chance to try both side by side.

envygreen

Mar 11, 2011
well, side by side comparison is complete (including using the same OC kernel)

SD - Quadrant about 1800
Aside from scrolling through my apps, this worked just fine and I had no complaints.

eMMC - Quadrant about 2000
app scrolling is (mostly) very smooth. Apps seem to be just a touch more responsive, and load times shorter. it feels 'snappy' but if you handed one of each to my wife, she wouldn't care, but I do. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well there you go. Nice comparo and about what I though would be expected particularly with the apps. You hadn't mentioned the class of the card before (or I didn't catch it) and that would really be the biggest factor.

envygreen

Mar 11, 2011
I still have my class 6 card with my install that I've been using as my daily...

Class 6 8 gig SD card :)

I think that the take-away is that unless you're committed to moving to CM7 as your daily driver, there's really no reason to not use an SD bootable. It's really very good. But if you're making the jump, you won't be sorry.

trisa

Dec 12, 2011
According to Quadrant Scores my class 4 16GB Sandisk card is a bit faster. 2182 vs 2360 for the scores. My subjective feel for the speed is that they are the same. So if you get a good Sandisk card I don't think it matters. But you gain some extra storage by loading on EMMC. With partioning most all the extra space for DATA, I can load most games to internal storage freeing up some of the sdcard.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
According to Quadrant Scores my class 4 16GB Sandisk card is a bit faster. 2182 vs 2360 for the scores. My subjective feel for the speed is that they are the same. So if you get a good Sandisk card I don't think it matters. But you gain some extra storage by loading on EMMC. With partioning most all the extra space for DATA, I can load most games to internal storage freeing up some of the sdcard.

Yes, a good SD card (not necessarily a high class) returns similar performance to running from internal memory. Not only can you take advantage of internal storage but you have the option of having an SD card you can swap in and out for essentially unlimited storage. If you are running from the SD card you can't take swap it in and out and you are limited by a max constraint of 32GB no matter what.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
I have a question when you boot to cm7 on your SD card nook reads and saves there. But when you boot to the nook internal it will save to the first partition where the boot is. Any way to have it read and save to the 4 partition?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum