CMP738b Is there a clean dump of this?

sasykes

Dec 10, 2011
First, thanks for the posting the update images. I have two of the b models, got them about a month ago and both have working wifi. I updated both of them using flush's image. Now one has working wifi and the other has the wifi error. Even after flashing the original rom this device still has the wifi error. Seems to me that flush's update killed the wifi on this one as I've been using it for about a month with no issues. Only after the update did the wifi fail.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Try turning it off then back on. It fixed mine when i had that problem. If that doesnt work return it and get another one. The Wifi hardware isnt very good on the CMP738B.

sasykes

Dec 10, 2011
Tried turning the WIFI off and on several times with no luck. Just wanted to post the results here so that others will be warned that you can kill your WIFI with flush's rooted ROM. Also, it seems that if you flash the original ROM image after you flash flush's rooted ROM, it doesn't let you flash flush's rooted ROM anymore. Unless I did something wrong, it doesn't seem to recognize the update.img file on SD card after flashing the original image.

pra4snw

Dec 11, 2011
So, I followed the instructions on this post (big thanks!), but the device would never boot to the sdcard containing update.img. I replaced the file a couple of times, even formatted the card to no avail, it would keep booting to the device.
While I had the device's home screen open, I ejected the sdcard and inserted it. At that point, I got a message informing me that the sdcard contained an image and would I like to update? I answered yes, and the unit rebooted and 5 minutes later it booted back to the Android splash screen that displayed for about 5 minutes, then I chose the Zeam desktop.
So far, all seems fine. I was able to set up the device and access Google Market and download several apps.

Now for my questions:
I bought a couple of these for my kids so that they wouldn't be hogging my RAZR to play games. I downloaded Angry Birds, but it runs too slow to be very playable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the device so graphical apps will run smoothly? I did shut down and restart to kill any possible memory hogging apps and it didn't make much of a difference. Would a Memory Manager help at all?
Or is it just too slow for these types of apps?

Thanks.

Jhaea

Dec 11, 2011
First, thanks for the posting the update images. I have two of the b models, got them about a month ago and both have working wifi. I updated both of them using flush's image. Now one has working wifi and the other has the wifi error. Even after flashing the original rom this device still has the wifi error. Seems to me that flush's update killed the wifi on this one as I've been using it for about a month with no issues. Only after the update did the wifi fail.

Yep. it ruined my wifi, too. Everything was working fine until I did the update. Returning is not an option for me since I've already returned one (would not turn on) and they said I'd just get my $$ back. My hubby loves it--what can I try?

pra4snw

Dec 11, 2011
This tablet is to slow to run that kind of games. It only has 800mhz chip speed.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks for the info. Too bad, because that's what I really got them for. Other than that, they seem like cool little devices. Maybe I'll hold onto one, I'm sure that I can find a use for it.

pra4snw

Dec 11, 2011
Yep. it ruined my wifi, too. Everything was working fine until I did the update. Returning is not an option for me since I've already returned one (would not turn on) and they said I'd just get my $$ back. My hubby loves it--what can I try?

It sounds like you may have done this already, but you can try returning it to the original ROM and see if that restores wifi. Just rename CraigCMP738BOrigRom.img to update.img and follow the same steps. It can't hurt at this point.

You can try returning it to a different store and tell them you want to exchange it because it is an Xmas gift. Most people who work at drug stores don't care. If they question it, just tell them that the original store have none in stock. My store clerk even warned me that they have gotten some returns for defects or that people didn't like them. She said I could return for money back or exchange, whatever I wanted to do.

spastictoad

Dec 13, 2011
My wifi shows error after flashing, too. I think I left the wifi on when I flashed. That could be the cause...

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
I've been trying this with no success whatsoever. How many files go on the SD card to root? Just one? Once the file's downloaded to the computer, I just "rename file" and rename it as update.img or just as update and save as an .img file?

I must have tried rebooting a dozen times with the file redownloaded each time. Nothing seems to work. I tried ejecting the card and putting it back in, all the tablet does is "prepares SD Card" and goes to the normal start up screen.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to enjoy this Craig tablet. As a stock tablet, I want to throw this thing out the window!

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
This worked, but I'm now one of the masses with Wi-fi error messages. Other than turning the system on and off a few hundred times (my usual method, and it didn't work this time), has anyone had any success with fixing the wi-fi after a root?

alanalain

Dec 16, 2011
TO WHOEVER: LOOKS LIKE WIFI HAS TO BE TURNED OFF BEFORE ROOTING SINCE WIFI SEEMS TO STILL WORK FOR THOSE WHO DID ROOT WHEREAS OTHERS (as me) END UP WITH A PERMANENTLY DEAD WIFI (even after root reversed to original) MAKING THIS *@#!* TABLET USELESS. I guess here again we get what we pay for and by the time we spent all ours trying to root and de root this tablet we might as weel have put those hours to work somewhere else and we would have had widely compensated the time loss by earning enough to buy a good tablet with android market on it, like the small SAmsung (cause at this size doing the job is there still anyone else today ?)
I will not write insuts in this very nice blog but imagine all the one you know, plus the one I know (in three languages) and you'll hardly be close to what I think of those tablets makers and droidmarket Ceos alike for not supplying the regular android market with any tablet that has droid based operating system. Amazon ? Slide ? What the ... ? Anyway to all those like me that grieve on their tablet (mine was for a friend as gift and I wanted to enhance it... I might as well send him a paper pad and Crayola by now). have a good hollyday and Merry Christmas...

I've been trying this with no success whatsoever. How many files go on the SD card to root? Just one? Once the file's downloaded to the computer, I just "rename file" and rename it as update.img or just as update and save as an .img file?

I must have tried rebooting a dozen times with the file redownloaded each time. Nothing seems to work. I tried ejecting the card and putting it back in, all the tablet does is "prepares SD Card" and goes to the normal start up screen.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to enjoy this Craig tablet. As a stock tablet, I want to throw this thing out the window!

regena

Dec 28, 2011
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I had the cmp738b rooted(with wifi off) then wifi error.Yes returned to store. New one cmp738b but noticed in menu>settings>about device it says cmp738a under model number not ure if this is the problem. anyways I have android 2.2.1 and used z4root to root the device and have working wifi. Used titanium backup to remove security guard and now have market.

I used z4root 1.3.0 if anyone wants the z4root, let me know I will email it to you.