Coby Kyros 1042 suprisely bricked

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
This is Frank Garrett.
So my brand new tablet got bricked with no reason (...just for fun dammit) and i have already googled absolutely everything that could possibly help me but with no results. So it brought me to making this thread - the last thing i am trying to do before throwing out the tablet.

Well my tablet just got really laggy once and i tried to delete some applications that i've installed there, and after i did reboot it as usual. But it didn't launch as it should. Instead it gives me the "COBY" logo and that it - it just stays with this freaking logo all the time till it gets turned off. So i've tried to get it into the Recovery mode - but with no result either. It either does not doing anything but showing "COBY" logo, or just gives me black screen.

So i have absolutely no idea what to do (adb?, livesuit?) or is it even possible To Do anything, because i'm not sure if its totally broken or else...
Help me please.

rtype540

Oct 23, 2012
I am suffering from similar problem I used livesuite and an img to bring it back to life but it seems I havent figured out how to recalibrate the touch screen so I sit here with a usb mouse connected to my Coby Mid1042
this is the specs of my android tab if yours matches

• Processor
    CPU Type Allwinner Cortex™-A8
    CPU Speed 1.0 GHz

• Memory
    Memory Type 1GB RAM

• Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Type Flash
    Hard Drive Size Built-in 8GB/Expandable up to 32GB

• Display
    Display Size 10.1
    Display Type Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen
    Display Resolution 1024 x 600 (WSVGA)
    Aspect Ratio 16:9

• Networking
    WLAN Type WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

• Connections
    Audio Input Built-in Microphone
    Audio Output 3.5mm Headphone Jack & Built-in Speaker
    Video Output High Speed HDMI, type C (mini), Supports 1080P and 720P
    USB Port USB 2.0 High Speed Full Size and USB 2.0 Mini-USB Connector

• Hardware
    Webcam Type Front Facing VGA 0.3MP

• Media/Format Support
    Audio Format Support Plays common internet formats
    Video Format Support Plays common internet formats
    Photo Format Support Displays common internet formats

• General
    OS Support Android 4.0
    Certifications ETL, FCC

• Power
    Power Input/Output AC 100-240VAC INPUT, DC 5V output
    Battery Type Rechargeable Li-Poly

this is the IMG file I used to get this far.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4i5pidfnaja2pfu

and the version of Live-suite I used as well

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4i5pidfnaja2pfu

good luck and if you figure out the screen problem drop me a note thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Shirik: Something says to me that you used Livesuite to try and install a ROM. If you did, you're screwed. Livesuite and ADB require USB debugging be enabled in the firmware, and since there is no firmware you can't enable USB debugging. Therefore you have no means to restore your tablet.

@rtype540: Unless someone can get you the correct drivers it's unlikely you will be able to resolve the problem you're having with the touchscreen.

@Shirik and rtype540: You should have read the sticky posts at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum before trying to do anything. However, you didn't, and now your only alternative is to contact Coby and pay $15 each for the privilege of returning the tablet to them for an exchange, if you cannot get your tablets functioning correctly.

Last edited:

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
No i did not, if i did i'd surely mention that...

Speaking of which my tablet is doing some wierd thing - after being turned on for about one or two hours "COBY" logo changes to Android loading screen. Well i didnt take a chance waiting more then 10 hours for what happens next but still.

Is it possible to somehow use livesuit on it? Its kinda dead on usb and everything so i don't know

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well, I apologize as my intent was not to offend. It's simply that damage done using Livesuite seems to be (unsurprisingly) common lately. If you at least installed ClockworkMod recovery in place of the stock recovery before you had problems, there is an avenue to fix things. Otherwise, you're screwed since the tablet cannot complete its booting process, and therefore you don't have access to USB Debugging.

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
Otherwise, you're screwed since the tablet cannot complete its booting process, and therefore you don't have access to USB Debugging.

yup looks like thats my case. Is there a little chance it would start in a week? At least it gets ti the Android logo in a hour...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
yup looks like thats my case. Is there a little chance it would start in a week? At least it gets ti the Android logo in a hour...

It's possible, if kernel panics it will force a factory reset and your tablet would then boot, this really depends on what you removed.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Shirik said:
Yes i tryed with no success, not 100% if i did it correctly tho

You can only send commands once it gets past coby screen, your post stated you did get past coby. When you get to that point again type adb shell

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
You can only send commands once it gets past coby screen, your post stated you did get past coby. When you get to that point again type adb shell
ok i just did - it briefly showed me two lines about daemon mounter usb port, and then its immediately disappeared. And i see the adb.exe is running. Well i'm not sure sorry about that

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I dont know anything about widows, sounds like you don't have adb setup or something.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Shirik said:
Nevermind - i got it: "Device not found"...

Well that rules adb out. Now only two choice hope for kernel panic and that you didnt remove critical files.

Or
Livesuite which can render your tablet useless. It's useless now also so no real loss there.

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
Guess my best option is to leave it alone for a week or two haha. Maybe it will come back to live somehow...