Coby Kyros 1042 suprisely bricked

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Shirik said:
Guess my best option is to leave it alone for a week or two haha. Maybe it will come back to live somehow...

Yes won't hurt anything, every now and the force boot it via reset button. If you can force a kernel panic, the tablet will reset itself to factory.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Shirik said:
you mean that small button on the tablet's back?

If it says reset, then yes each tablet has them, some on back some on side. Just depends on tablet.

Russ450

Mar 11, 2012
I have had this problem, and I know how to fix it!! Press the reset button on the back of the tablet and immediately hold the big silver button on the front until a screen with lots of selections come up. Use the Volume up/down buttons to scroll and highlight "Factory reset" or something similar. Once highlighted, press the big silver button. The tablet will delete everything. This may take a little while. After done, it should boot! Please reply telling if it works or not!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Factory reset doesn't help when the OP deleted apparently critical files from the system directory.

Russ450

Mar 11, 2012
Factory reset doesn't help when the OP deleted apparently critical files from the system directory.
Look, I've had this same issue. I have figured it out and you have not. Please let him try it. I think that it will work and you are just being rude. This issue usually happens when you have Google Play or the Android Market downloaded incorrectly.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There is a difference between being blunt and being rude. This is blunt: you figured it out for a Generation 1 or Generation 2 tablet, according to the MID7016 in your device marker. The OP's device and yours are so radically different, using completely different processors as well as different versions of Android that I can guarantee it won't work. To me it's clear you didn't read the thread at all since our resident developer has already given him advice on what to do to try and resolve his problem.

Rude will be in the PM I'm about to send you.

izzyoo7

Nov 23, 2012
I have a few questions that i think were not answered in all the thread i have been reading.
I Just purchased the coby 7042-4 with the A8 cortex cpu.

#1 >For one i am confused why is Steve custom hack instructions uing livesuite method indicate that it is for a A10 CPU??? I have yet to see a 7042 with the A10. is this a typo?
#2>if it is not a mistake, is there a version of custom ROM and recovery that works on the A8 cpu? i think all of this people that got there tablet bricked is because the flashed it on the wrong cpu
#3> Clearly i am planning to not use the livesuite method of steve. but rather @Traveller1701 method using Clockworkmod Recovery and the script http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...eate-full-rom-backup-few-other-questions.html
This seems to me the most safe method. however i have more questions on this method. @Traveller1701 explained it on other thread but a bit confused on what need to happen first to use this method, also if this method work with A8 or A10 cpu or both

#4> could you please explain and give instructions line by line of what steps are needed to install google app store on a stock 7042 tablet that is un rooted
- how backup a recovery rom
-how to restore recovery rom img files or zip..?? should any break
-how to use the cobeadb.zip you created

I really appreciate all the effort you have put in answering everyone's questions

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The 7042-4 is an A10, An A10 simply means it's an A10 rather than a A13 allwinner tablet.

A10 means allwinner 10 which is exactly what processor the 7042 has.

izzyoo7

Nov 23, 2012
@vampirefo. thanks for your quick reply. I ask because every the specs state A8. Also i had additional questions on the thread. I am a windows user.
Can anyone answer the questions above. i do not have alinux box

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Question 1 was answered already. Custom ROMs that do not require Livesuite, as well as a Windows root utility, are available in the READ FIRST sticky posts at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum.

To install Google apps, download the 20120429 package from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps, copy it to the MicroSD card, boot into ClockworkMod recovery, and install it using the "update from zip" function of the recovery. Didn't know that your tablet has ClockworkMod available for it? Read the stickies at the top of Generation 3 Development. :)

Shirik

Jul 15, 2012
Hello everybody - i got it fixed, thanks to my friend. He used the livesuit method, which for some reason didn't work on my laptop pc... SO its working again and i'm happy

izzyoo7

Nov 23, 2012
@traveller1701.
The issues is tha there is lots information but scatered in multiple thread that lead to confusion. Already many people have bricked there tablet.
What i was looking was one thread that explain it all. From a unrooted tablet to add Google app store.
I am promise if that was clear i would not ask . This will help everyone that are asking the same kind of question. I get that you are a Linux user but there is lots of windows user.

What come first? How to use the adbcobe.zip you created? Can we have for the love of god. One thread that answer it all

I have read the first sticky thread in the coby3 develop. That was really well detail. Although I don.t get the point in the thread to you state to first make a recovery and then later you say to download a cw recovery backup?
Thanks for your dedicated support

Last edited:

izzyoo7

Nov 23, 2012
Look, I've had this same issue. I have figured it out and you have not. Please let him try it. I think that it will work and you are just being rude. This issue usually happens when you have Google Play or the Android Market downloaded incorrectly.

@Russ450 this forum is to have constructive criticism. and not argue. you can go on facebook for this. unless you have something to say about the tablet, noone wants to hear about it

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The entire point of the development index sticky was to keep all the information easy to find. Which is why there are links all throughout it covering how to do virtually everything that needs to be done. Everything is there, but absolutely MUST be read in its entirety. In short, the order of operations to root should be:

1. Download root tool and ADB drivers. Extract both to a directory.
  2. Install ADB drivers using the instructions in that post.
  3. Root.
  4. Create System dump.
  5. Install ClockworkMod recovery.
  6. Make a nandroid backup in CWM.
  7. Install Google apps or a custom ROM if available.
  8. Make another nandroid backup in CWM.
  9. Reboot and enjoy.

After that, people can apply tweaks if they wish.