Coby MID8065 Recovery System

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
I have the boot.img from cwm and recovery.img and system.tar from @tpain but dont know how I can restore. I was stupid and flashed the 7065 stock rom and then the 7065 boot and recovery because the stock wouldnt boot. Now I have 7065 rom booting but no wifi, bluetooth, and the display is wacky. Otherwise it works perfectly. Maybe I just need to replace the drivers for these?

So, I got the 8065 stock back but I guess it must be the boot.img file (different kernel) that makes the display wacky and wont load wifi and bluetooth. Maybe a compile kernel will help?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
So, I got the 8065 stock back but I guess it must be the boot.img file (different kernel) that makes the display wacky and wont load wifi and bluetooth. Maybe a compile kernel will help?

How did you restore the 8065 system files?

Try this:

adb shell

busybox df -h

Post the output here.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_68@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_68@android:/ $suapp_68@android:/ #df -h
Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
-h: No such file or directory
1|app_68@android:/ # busybox df -h
BusyBox v1.18.4 (2011-04-04 18:40:20 CDT) multi-call binary.
Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko
and others. Licensed under GPLv2.
See source distribution for full notice.

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
or: busybox --list[-full]
or: function [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
utilities into a single executable. Most people will create a
link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
[, [[, acpid, add-shell, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, arp, arping, ash, awk, base64, basename, beep, blkid, blockdev, bootchartd, brctl, bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat, catv, chat, chattr,
chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd, chpst, chroot, chrt, chvt, cksum, clear, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, crond, crontab, cryptpw, cttyhack, cut, date, dc, dd, deallocvt, delgroup, deluser, depmod, devmem,
df, dhcprelay, diff, dirname, dmesg, dnsd, dnsdomainname, dos2unix, du, dumpkmap, dumpleases, echo, ed, egrep, eject, env, envdir, envuidgid, ether-wake, expand, expr, fakeidentd, false, fbset,
fbsplash, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgconsole, fgrep, find, findfs, flock, fold, free, freeramdisk, fsck, fsck.minix, fsync, ftpd, ftpget, ftpput, fuser, getopt, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt,
hd, hdparm, head, hexdump, hostid, hostname, httpd, hush, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd, ifup, inetd, init, insmod, install, ionice, iostat, ip, ipaddr, ipcalc, ipcrm, ipcs,
iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel, kbd_mode, kill, killall, killall5, klogd, last, length, less, linux32, linux64, linuxrc, ln, loadfont, loadkmap, logger, login, logname, logread, losetup, lpd,
lpq, lpr, ls, lsattr, lsmod, lspci, lsusb, lzcat, lzma, lzop, lzopcat, makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, mdev, mesg, microcom, mkdir, mkdosfs, mke2fs, mkfifo, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.minix, mkfs.vfat,
mknod, mkpasswd, mkswap, mktemp, modinfo, modprobe, more, mount, mountpoint, mpstat, mt, mv, nameif, nbd-client, nc, netstat, nice, nmeter, nohup, nslookup, ntpd, od, openvt, passwd, patch,
pgrep, pidof, ping, ping6, pipe_progress, pivot_root, pkill, pmap, popmaildir, poweroff, powertop, printenv, printf, ps, pscan, pwd, raidautorun, rdate, rdev, readahead, readlink, readprofile,
realpath, reboot, reformime, remove-shell, renice, reset, resize, rev, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, rtcwake, run-parts, runlevel, runsv, runsvdir, rx, script, scriptreplay, sed,
sendmail, seq, setarch, setconsole, setfont, setkeycodes, setlogcons, setsid, setuidgid, sh, sha1sum, sha256sum, sha512sum, showkey, slattach, sleep, smemcap, softlimit, sort, split,
start-stop-daemon, stat, strings, stty, su, sulogin, sum, sv, svlogd, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl, syslogd, tac, tail, tar, tcpsvd, tee, telnet, telnetd, test, tftp, tftpd, time,
timeout, top, touch, tr, traceroute, traceroute6, true, tty, ttysize, tunctl, udhcpc, udhcpd, udpsvd, umount, uname, unexpand, uniq, unix2dos, unlzma, unlzop, unxz, unzip, uptime, usleep,
uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, vlock, volname, wall, watch, watchdog, wc, wget, which, who, whoami, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat, zcip

app_68@android:/ # df
/dev 427M 80K 427M 4096
/mnt/asec 427M 0K 427M 4096
/mnt/obb 427M 0K 427M 4096
/system 436M 269M 166M 4096
/factory 127M 22M 105M 4096
/data 2G 52M 2G 4096
/cache 511M 18M 492M 4096
/mnt/sdcard 4G 1G 3G 4096
/mnt/secure/asec 4G 1G 3G 4096
/mnt/sdcard/external_sdcard 7G 5G 2G 32768
app_68@android:/ # df -h
-h: No such file or directory
1|app_68@android:/ #

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The last few lines is your filesystem. Your busybox is different than mine.

Try this: cat /proc/partitions

post output

Last edited:

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_68@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_68@android:/ $cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

31 0 8192 mtdblock0
31 1 8192 mtdblock1
31 2 8192 mtdblock2
31 3 8192 mtdblock3
31 4 8192 mtdblock4
31 5 524288 mtdblock5
31 6 131072 mtdblock6
31 7 524288 mtdblock7
31 8 2359296 mtdblock8
31 9 4784128 mtdblock9
250 36 4501504 avnftlj
250 37 4475520 avnftlj1
253 0 7774208 cardblksd
253 1 7770112 cardblksd1
app_68@android:/ $

I've been looking at the install-recovery.sh file. I also just found the source file that does this. Now I know what happened. When I flashed the 7065 rom i replaced the install-recovery.sh file and that repartitioned the recovery to fit the new recovery. Now i flashed the 8065 rom. There is a mismatch with size or sha1. I'm reading the source if i can somehow find out the sha1 to set correctly or something. heres a link to that file https://android.googlesource.com/pl...ry/+/android-4.3.1_r1/applypatch/applypatch.c i know its for 4.3 but i dont think its different from the 4.0. Ill try to find the 4.0 one.

found 4.0 https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../+/android-4.0.4_r2.1/applypatch/applypatch.c

These files might help us find the magic header to unpack the boot and recovery images :D

File that reads these images. https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bootable/recovery/+/android-4.0.4_r2.1/applypatch/utils.c

Seems this might help me: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...+/android-4.0.4_r2.1/applypatch/applypatch.sh
Modify it since it can be run on the device and run it? Seems that if there is not enough space, it puts it somewhere. I think i remember seeing a recovery folder in my device before i screwed it up.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I don't have my computer setup right now to check, but your partitions look similar to my 8065.

What method/commands did you use to reinstall 8065 software?

Last edited:

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
oh. I but the system.tar in cwm recovery and "recovered" from that with boot img. then I zipped that system again (as a zip file) and put that in the stock_7065.zip (decompressed of course) and flashed that(left the update_script alone).

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hmm, vampirefo said the 7065 recovery changed your partition. Maybe there is a way to restore it.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
It just dawned on me. The reason I cant flash the stock recovery image I think, is because It cant even be opened by cwm. cwm doesnt know how to unpack the image to the recovery partition. so, unless we get this recovery and boot image unpacked I wont be able to boot with the right kernel. Maybe I can build my own kernel? hm

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
It just dawned on me. The reason I cant flash the stock recovery image I think, is because It cant even be opened by cwm. cwm doesnt know how to unpack the image to the recovery partition. so, unless we get this recovery and boot image unpacked I wont be able to boot with the right kernel. Maybe I can build my own kernel? hm

Can you boot from ext-sd ? Put 8065 boot.img on micro-sd. rename to uImage_recovery. Place in 8065. Boot to recovery. This should boot the tab with stock boot.img, bypassing the tablet boot.img and cwm recovery. You could try this with the stock recovery as well.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
I must have tried that 2 billion times. doesnt work. The cwm for the 7065 boots via that method though.
OK... now it just reboots :/ I guess because of the 4ming time limit for stuff like that. I know you posted a bootloader image somewhere. What does that do? would that maybe get this to boot of the boot.img right?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I must have tried that 2 billion times. doesnt work. The cwm for the 7065 boots via that method though.
OK... now it just reboots :/ I guess because of the 4ming time limit for stuff like that. I know you posted a bootloader image somewhere. What does that do? would that maybe get this to boot of the boot.img right?

Thanks a lot. Your boot.img looks good. we will see what vampirefo thinks.

The bootloader starts everything on the disk. Check out the thread here for more info.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...en-4-unbricking-using-amlogic-flash-tool.html

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
so. good news. :p
my tablet now sort of boots with the modified boot.img i have. my partitions are probably still messed up. I know that the tablet runs install-recovery.sh everytime it boots. maybe it getting stuck there because it doesnt work? Anyways, I can tell it boots because the screen is bright then, it dims. This mean that the boot.img is being run. Then its stuck there. doesnt go on. I will try to restore the 8065 dump i have and see if that helps. Still using 7065 recovery img.

UPDATE: I just noticed it reboots after a while. maybe it thinks its booting into recovery?

UPDATE2: seems to have done something. I cant read from data again. (didnt do that before I bricked the tablet).

Last edited:

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
I have a feeling @tpaine that your system dump might also be corrupt. since you have root, cant you just mount the system as RW and then just zip up the system folder using a file manager?