Does an App Like This Exist?

LunaEros

Dec 26, 2013
Is there an app that checks all of Androids' system files to make sure they're working correctly like SFC does in Windows?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Is there an app that checks all of Androids' system files to make sure they're working correctly like SFC does in Windows?

I don't use windows, not for sure what it does, but no android doesn't have an app to check system files.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
For anyone who doesn't know, System File Checker in Windows checks to see whether system files are corrupt and replaces them with fresh copies if they are. Android doesn't have anything like this. To implement it would require double the system space to keep a backup of each file. Also, rooted users would not appreciate this feature. Any modifications made to system files would be reverted, no matter how benign the changes were.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
For anyone who doesn't know, System File Checker in Windows checks to see whether system files are corrupt and replaces them with fresh copies if they are. Android doesn't have anything like this. To implement it would require double the system space to keep a backup of each file. Also, rooted users would not appreciate this feature. Any modifications made to system files would be reverted, no matter how benign the changes were.

Thanks, yep that is something I wouldn't want.

LunaEros

Dec 26, 2013
But for someone just starting out with Android and even though I rooted it, for which I found a tool that made it very easy, having an app like SFC would probably fix my
constant rebooting problem. And I haven't made very many changes with rooting so that wouldn't be a problem either.

I sure wish there was.

Since no one could give me any ideas why my tablet was acting like it was in my other post, I didn't want to reboot it while it WAS working right and I started trying to
keep going with setting it up like I wanted for infotainment in my car and I must have done something it didn't like and now it's constantly rebooting again.

If someone could have helped me I might have found and fixed the problem before I continued.
I figured I would get more help over here since I can't seem to get ANY over at XDA.

Last edited:

LunaEros

Dec 26, 2013

Rooted users wouldn't have to use it since you have to run SFC yourself from the command line.
But it would help a moron newbie like myself.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Rooted users wouldn't have to use it since you have to run SFC yourself from the command line.
But it would help a moron noobie like myself.

I fail to see how it would help you, you modified your vold file which caused your problems, all the sfc would do is replace that, which you can do on your own, however that won't fix the problems you caused by doing it. you are going to have to reinstall the factory firmware. If factory firmware isn't avaible you will have repartition your internal sdcard, after redoing the vold file back to stock, a lot of work but it happens when one modifies files, and don't do them correctly.

Android on reboot reads and tries to use the modifications done to it, even if they are incorrect, android like Linux expects the user that is making the modifications to know what they are doing. The only safe guard is a nonrooted device, same for Linux, once root commands are applied the safety net is off.

LunaEros

Dec 26, 2013
Like I said I'm still new to Android.
I don't know what the vold file is but it sounds like it's a file that gets modified when you root it. Am I correct?
If so the problem didn't happen after I rooted it. It was later. It started to happen when I was moving files to the SD card to get more space
including the google services which I now realize was a mistake. I got that fixed but afterwards is when it started rebooting
anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 and a half minutes after the home screen showed up.
In trying to fix that from restoring from backup I got frustrated and was going to try the recovery.
I didn't want to for fear of having to reinstall and setup everything but I started to try anyway.
I apparently got that wrong because I couldn't find the 'dload' folder and figured it meant 'download' which I did find. (the android terminaology is a little diifuclt for a long time windows user to wrap their head around)
But I guess it actually has to be 'dload' because although it started what I assume was recovery, I saw a big green android robot with gears running under it about 5 to 10 seconds later it failed.
When I rebooted after that it started acting like it was fine again which is when I asked for help for a theory of what might be happening.
I left it on because I was afraid to reboot it again until I could figure out what happened and make sure it was fixed.
Also after it started rebooting on me again the first time it came up it said it couldn't find the sdcard I set the primary storage to so I took it out and checked it on the pc, put it back in, made sure it was seated and rebooted again
and now it finds it. It was finding it before it started rebooting again so I don't know why it did that.
One strange thing it's doing now is I have a Skyroam Gmate+ for voice service with T-Mobile and when it hard boots that won't initialize but when it reboots after that it soft boots and when it SB's it does initialize.

I'm trying to get around having to reinstall the firmware. I don't want to have to re-setup the whole system again, it took me close to a month to get it to where it was.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Not to belabor the point, but it's absolutely vital that you know exactly what you're doing before doing it. Otherwise you could end up far worse off than you are now. At least your issues can conceivably be fixed. Some users like you have rendered their devices completely unusable. Thus it really doesn't surprise me much that you'd not get help on XDA.

BTW, I too am a Windows guy, but I don't expect Android to behave like Windows. If I did have such an expectation I would have a Windows tablet.

LunaEros

Dec 26, 2013
I've got to learn somehow. And the Android lingo is cryptic for decades of windows knowledge and not many jumping in to put it in idiot-proof layman terms for me.
What I REALLY needed was a service that could help me figure it out for a fee. That way I might have been able to fix it instead of screwing it up worse.
Because I think I DID screw it up worse.

I was reading more about the Cyanogen ROM I want to eventually put in and installed the CWM Recovery he instructed to. It works great.
I installed that so I could use the low level backup to backup everything. At first I backed up to where the default was which I guess was the internal 16g.
It seemed to lock up near the end. I guess there wasn't enough storage. So I used the delete unused backup data and changed it to store it on my external 32g card.
It completed fine but when it started back up now the system is going crazy. As soon as the home screen shows it starts popping up notices that it can't start this and
it can't start that or this or that......
Like 30 of them. It took a half hour of rebooting and trying to move some crucial files I didn't have anywhere else onto the external from the internal so I could remove them with the PC.

I think I'm going to try to wipe everything and install HWMOD's Modified Stock ROM since that is the ONLY 4.0.3 I can find for my S7-303u that has almost the same build
number (C232B005) that's 4.0.3, baseband (314007) and kernal (3.08). Though his stated COMPLETE build number is different. Mine is (s7-301uv100r002c232B005).
I'm not sure how important that is. I'm thinking the build number equates to software version.
I've actually been wondering about that since it has 301u in it and my tablet has 303u printed on it. Does that mean 301u build isn't right for my tablet?

Well I've got to do something since it's so screwed up now. If I try that ROM and it goes well with everything working right I'll try to put the Cyanogen 10.1 Jellybean in since
I won't be worried aboutbeing able to put it back to the HWMOD. And I will not have put in too many things yet.
I've read it's got all the bugs worked out of it now unlike the Kit-Kat which still has some Wifi problems from what I see.

Hopefully I can get an opinion on these plans before the night is out in case it's a bad idea and it bricks the tablet.

Last edited: