Download Unsuccessful

komobu

Feb 15, 2012
I use my A500 in class. We have WiFi, but when you attempt to log on, you get a sign-in page where you enter your name and phone number. Then you have to download this Bradford Dissolvable Agent file and run it. This is some type of virus protection for the schools network. When ever I try to download it, I always get "Download Unsuccessful" As a result, I cant get on the schools network. I am wondering if there is some setting that is stopping me from downloading. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciative.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have an easy but uncomfortable answer for you. There is no Agent for Android, only for iOS, Windows and Linux.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Same thing happened to me at the school I work at. Pick a browser and set its UAString to desktop. That is what fixed it for me. You'll need to download Bradford again through that browser.

Hold on, I apologize, I may have this backwards. I went through my notes and emails with my IT department and all I can confirm is that it may be related to the UAString. I didn't fully write down what I did to fix it.
Therefore, if your UAString isn't set to desktop, do the above. If it's already set, do the opposite. I'm leaning towards "B" now. I think if the string is set to desktop, the network is treating it as a PC/laptop and wants to install Bradford and nothing is going to work. By setting the UAString back to tablet, the network will treat it as a mobile device and you should be able to get on. You should only need to do this in the browser you're using to get onto the network. It also will not need to stay on tablet the entire time, just when you need to get initial access (if it boots you off).

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

komobu

Feb 15, 2012
Same thing happened to me at the school I work at. Pick a browser and set its UAString to desktop.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the help. I will try that...but I dont know what a UAString is or how to change the setting. Could you please describe the procedure?

Thanks Again

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Which browser are you using? It's usually under Advanced Setting.
For lack of a better explanation, the UAString is what the device tells the website it is. If it's set to "tablet", then the A500 tells whatever website your going to that it's a tablet (mobile device). The website now knows your device is a mobile one and will usually send the mobile version of the site to it. This is important for what kind of content is delivered.

#5 is this thread deals with the instructions for the stock browser:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-defaut-browser-redirecting-mobile-sites.html

Last edited: