Egads! My A500 won't charge

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
The charger is plugged in. The charging symbo is showing, the device says it's charging, but the battery level goes up and down, mostly down, and I am not even using it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
UPDATE! Good news. I was using an alternate charger that I had bought as a spare. As I said, the thunderbolt symbol was showing and the word "chargiing" was on the screen, but apparently it wasn't working. I plugged it into the official charger, and - whew!!! - it charged! Hallelujah.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
That says something about CHARGERS doesn't it. If it is not right the tab will not charge. The two have to be a matched pair because the control cct in the A500 works in tandem with the built in regulator on the plug pack. If the plug packs output voltage is too low the control cct in the A500 will not operate and hence the battery will not charge.

When the percentage in battery gets to 20 to 25% charge tablet immediately and do not turn tablet off until you see the charge increase above 35%. That is for safety sake. Never leave your tablet uncharged - not even overnight.

These are all tips from the forum.

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
That says something about CHARGERS doesn't it. If it is not right the tab will not charge. The two have to be a matched pair because the control cct in the A500 works in tandem with the built in regulator on the plug pack. If the plug packs output voltage is too low the control cct in the A500 will not operate and hence the battery will not charge.

When the percentage in battery gets to 20 to 25% charge tablet immediately and do not turn tablet off until you see the charge increase above 35%. That is for safety sake. Never leave your tablet uncharged - not even overnight.

These are all tips from the forum.
Thanks for the advice! I am, luckily, an obsessive charger. That's why I always buy a backup. I started panicking when my battery level was going down to 58%. I will, however, endeavor to buy a backup an OEM charger from Acer, instead of eBay, this time.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice! I am, luckily, an obsessive charger. That's why I always buy a backup. I started panicking when my battery level was going down to 58%. I will, however, endeavor to buy a backup an OEM charger from Acer, instead of eBay, this time.
The one thing I dislike about the OEM plugpack is the short cable. I hope ACER has increased the cable length. But I have no choice the other chargers don't work - as you found out Barskin. I wonder if ACER will release a car charger for tablets???

Ami

Jan 24, 2011
Douvie said:
The one thing I dislike about the OEM plugpack is the short cable. I hope ACER has increased the cable length. But I have no choice the other chargers don't work - as you found out Barskin. I wonder if ACER will release a car charger for tablets???

I don't know, the charger that came with mine is longer than our ps3 charging USB cable, which is of a good length of course. So, to me it's sufficient. My own question regarding charging the Acer A500 is that I'd like to know if there are any car chargers available for it for use during long car trips. With my old tablet I used a dual-slot USB car/wall charger but since the Acer A500 don't roll with the USB charging that would not work at all.

Ami

Jan 24, 2011
Ami said:
I don't know, the charger that came with mine is longer than our ps3 charging USB cable, which is of a good length of course. So, to me it's sufficient. My own question regarding charging the Acer A500 is that I'd like to know if there are any car chargers available for it for use during long car trips. With my old tablet I used a dual-slot USB car/wall charger but since the Acer A500 don't roll with the USB charging that would not work at all.

Never mind! I found the stickie in the accessories section on USB charging and found the answer to my question! Lol!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Never mind! I found the stickie in the accessories section on USB charging and found the answer to my question! Lol!
Just be very careful. some things are a bit unorthodox which some have tried.

Just an inverter to plug into the cigarette-lighter socket of the car so you can plug the ACER plugpack into that. I use a power board plugged into the inverter.

Have fun Ami, with your new toy. We all are here - thats why we're here. ;)