fm radio support?

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
This page clearly states that this broadcom chip does have FM recive and transmit capability.
Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

maybe we can get a requests section up after the guys get it working for an end user.

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

hi thats true Claian but not in all chips and not used by S7 afaik, Ideos and most use that chip to wifi and bluetooth and use other more "protected" chip and software for broadband.
that is the main problem i m having to make that work....

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
The FM (Tx and Rx) it talks about are not FM radio, ie radio station AM/FM. It talking about the cellphone Frequency Modulation they operates on.

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Lost the long post i just typed... AHH

dublea,
It is in fact an FM "tuner", it has nothing to do with the "mobile" signal. (here in AUS we dont call it cellular)

Its the same chip that allows the Galaxy S to have an FM radio app.

i can see 3 possible problems.
1. No antenna. This is often acomplished by using the headphones but the device would need to be correctly wired internally to allow this.
2. Drivers. I have no idea if the official broadcom android drivers cover this aspect of the chip, or if a custom driver is used in the phones that have FM support.
3 Not connected. For all i know the S7 may not even be able to see the FM part of the chip. Even though it is there.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Had to research more when I saw your post. You are correct. I just couldn't find that info on the chip.

FM receiver and transmitter (76 MHz to 108 MHz FM bands);
Standards supported:
- European Radio Data Systems (RDS)
- North American Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS)

But I also read that the same chipset may or may not include the technology as rictec stated. SO, the chip within the S7 either doesn't have it, or is not connected as you stated. Considering the battery life of the device, this may have been why Huawei didn't utilize it. Either that or they got it at a cheaper cost w/o the FM function. It's purely speculation at this point.