Freezing the Vizio Update Service - Any more experiences?

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
Just wondering if there have been any developments in the possibility of freezing the vizio update service causing issues when rebooting?

I am still having problems whenever i freeze the service and then reboot it is unfrozen - think I am gonna have to try another program -

Just wonderin :)

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I used Titanium Backup to freeze the update service with no issues (so far). I have restarted the VTAB at least six times since then.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Maybe the update service is tied to the system so probably is best to hide it and disabled the notification instead.

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
I am using app manager (the plus version). I can choose the service and then select freeze but it unfreezes on reboot

What is the difference in hiding the app?

If I remember off there is an update don't I have no choice but to install it?

I just don't want to lose root :)

Thanks

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

(edited - sometimes i hate spell checkers - app turned into ape - lol )

Last edited:

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I am using ape manager (the plus version). I can choose the service and then select freeze but it unfreezes on reboot

What is the difference in hiding the app?

If I remember off there is an update don't I have no choice but to install it?

I just don't want to lose root :)

Thanks

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

I doubt Vizio update will be able to run on the rooted tablet.

jamesgb

Nov 17, 2011
I froze the vizio update service on my rooted tablet using some application someone suggested in another thread. Now after rebooting the tablet I just get the recovery menu (android system recovery <3e>). So apparently freezing the service with the application I used breaks something.

Anyone know how to restore the vizio update service so the tablet will boot up again?

Thanks.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
For those who have had the problem with not being able to boot after freezing the update service:

1. What did you use to freeze the update service?
  2. What version of the VTAB software were you on?
  3. Were you using an alternative home launcher?

Maybe there are different methods to "freeze" apps?

Maybe what version you are on when you freeze the update service matters?

Maybe the problem only happens if you are booting directly into the Vizio default home app?

I used Titanium Backup.

My VTAB is on:

Android version: 2.3.2 GRH78C
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7+
Hardware version: Hardware ID: 5 (PVT1)
Software Version: V.I.A. Plus 1.4
Uboot version: 1.1.18
Build number: 1.9.56

I use an alternative launcher (Launcher Pro)

I do not have this problem.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I use Titanium Backup Pro.

Alternative launcher used (Zeam Launcher)

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
I use Titanium Backup Pro.

Alternative launcher used (Zeam Launcher)

Ditto. No problems so far.

fadefx

Nov 27, 2011
Do not use AnTek Taskmanager, it has a freeze option, but it seems that it does remove the app with a backup. I had a user reporting this on xda

--------------------------
tapatalked from vizio vtab1008

jamesgb

Nov 17, 2011
Yep, the AnTek App Manager bricks the tablet. I will hold on to it for a few more days to see if someone can come up with a fix, otherwise I'll just return it to Costco.

It has the option to restore from the SD Card at the recovery menu, so if someone had the ROM for it, I could probably re-flash it to factory defaults...

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Yep, the AnTek App Manager bricks the tablet. I will hold on to it for a few more days to see if someone can come up with a fix, otherwise I'll just return it to Costco.

It has the option to restore from the SD Card at the recovery menu, so if someone had the ROM for it, I could probably re-flash it to factory defaults...

James - were you using an alternative launcher?

Had you made any other mods to your VTAB?

Just trying to get as many details on this as possible to try to be clear on what the problem is.

jamesgb

Nov 17, 2011
No, I wasn't using an alternative launcher. I had rooted by tablet, but hadn't made any other changes. It started asking me to update to to VIA 1.5, so I was trying to get it to stop bugging me. Someone mentioned using Titanium backup, but that there were other free programs in the app store that could freeze programs, so I just grabbed one thinking they all worked the saame way.