Freezing the Vizio Update Service - Any more experiences?

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
No, I wasn't using an alternative launcher. I had rooted by tablet, but hadn't made any other changes. It started asking me to update to to VIA 1.5, so I was trying to get it to stop bugging me. Someone mentioned using Titanium backup, but that there were other free programs in the app store that could freeze programs, so I just grabbed one thinking they all worked the saame way.

I am not sure that they don't work the same as I do not know exactly how "freezing" works.

It is possible that the reason your VTAB is stuck is not the app you used, but the fact that you were still suing the default launcher.

Does any one know the technical details behind the "freezing" technique? Doing a bit of googling I see the Bloat Freezer offers two methods. How do they differ? How does AnTec's method differ from Titanium Backup's? I could not finds details of the methods used on the dev web sites.

foweler

Dec 6, 2011
I'm using the stock launcher and froze with Titanium Backup.
I just rebooted and still have a working, rooted vtab.

Thank goodness I chose to root the day the update came out so I could read in the nick of time the need to freeze the update service.
And thank goodness I chose to buy TB Pro.

My wife's vtab got the update. She doesn't need root anyway. Well, tethering would be nice but oh well.

Anyone working on a new method for root?

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
This is just strange but the program I froze the update service with (App Manager Pro) says it freezes the service but when I reboot and go back it shows it as unfrozen. I still have not received the update though - I do use an alternative launcher (launcher pro) - so not really sure what gives- I am not complaining though - I still have root -