Google Play on Coby Kyros 7042!

browningj

Apr 22, 2012
HoldIng down Volume Up and The home key Down, and pressing the power On Until coby splash screen got me into recovery mode. Hope It helps.

Power cord was also plugged in, but that shouldn't matter.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
So I was following the instructions and now I am stuck. When I put the SD card into the pad it says it is there and the size and usage. When I use the ES File Explorer (came installed) to install the Z4root.apk I cannot see any of the files on the card even though it shows SDcard and location. If I try to go up it drops me out of the program. Am I doing something wrong? The card has pictures on it and I cannot see them either.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Okay, SuperOneClick will not root the Coby w/ICS currently. There has been further discussion using a different method:

INSTALLING GOOGLE PLAY ON COBY MID7042, MID8042, MID9042, MID9742, MID1042, MID10245 TABS
( This is a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" ICE CREAM SANDWICH TABLET )
( "ALLWINNER A10 " is the CPU that runs the tablet)

Here are some instructions for Installing GooglePlay on an ALLWINNER A10 ICE CREAM SANDWICH tablet.

The downloaded file contains the files needed to install GooglePlay on your Coby ( MID??42) Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet which is really just a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" IceCreamSandwich Tablet.

Download the following file to your PC Desktop > Unzip the File > Find the ReadMe file and follow instructions. Download "IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z" from HERE

-------------------------------------------
"""" If you can not unzip the file, Download the free 7Zip Program. from HERE
Install 7Zip program to your PC. Then Right-Click GooglePlay Script file you downloaded above and Extract To: the choice that matches the filename """"""
Open the ReadMe File and Follow instructions.

Alternate Download Method: Right-Click and SAVE AS
Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

user_online.gif

I have not tried this yet as my pad is less than a week old and I am not ready to Brick it yet :) Until I become more familiar with the system, I have Amazon and 1Mobile loaded and between those two I have plenty of Apps to keep me busy for awhile.
Don

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
Okay, SuperOneClick will not root the Coby w/ICS currently. There has been further discussion using a different method:

INSTALLING GOOGLE PLAY ON COBY MID7042, MID8042, MID9042, MID9742, MID1042, MID10245 TABS
( This is a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" ICE CREAM SANDWICH TABLET )
( "ALLWINNER A10 " is the CPU that runs the tablet)

Here are some instructions for Installing GooglePlay on an ALLWINNER A10 ICE CREAM SANDWICH tablet.

The downloaded file contains the files needed to install GooglePlay on your Coby ( MID??42) Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet which is really just a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" IceCreamSandwich Tablet.

Download the following file to your PC Desktop > Unzip the File > Find the ReadMe file and follow instructions. Download "IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z" from HERE

-------------------------------------------
"""" If you can not unzip the file, Download the free 7Zip Program. from HERE
Install 7Zip program to your PC. Then Right-Click GooglePlay Script file you downloaded above and Extract To: the choice that matches the filename """"""
Open the ReadMe File and Follow instructions.

Alternate Download Method: Right-Click and SAVE AS
Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

user_online.gif

I have not tried this yet as my pad is less than a week old and I am not ready to Brick it yet :) Until I become more familiar with the system, I have Amazon and 1Mobile loaded and between those two I have plenty of Apps to keep me busy for awhile.
Don

This does not seem to work... Tried but had error message of unable to push/copy directory not found.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Yes downloaded the ICS gapps package. Tried multiple ways to get into recovery mode. Old Kyros models allowed you by Holding down - Vol key and hitting the power button. Does not work.
Used ADB console - typed adb reboot recovery. Did not work, just rebooted the device.

To get to recovery vol + and the back button (the silver one that used to be a HOME button) then while holding those two hold power until the COBY shows up. That will take you to revocery on the gen 3 7042.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
do not install the one listed in this thread
it will brick the tablet

do the method patriotswrath posted

ZmanNYC2

Nov 4, 2011
I got my 7042 last week...IMHO google play isn't necessary. I've gotten lots of great apps from amazon app store, where I downloaded Netflix for free, and it runs almost flawlessly, with just an occasional hiccup, but that could be my internet service and NOT the device itself. Angry birds runs without a hitch. There are tons of free apps and many paid apps if you don't find it for free. I am VERY happy with this tablet, and with all the apps at amazon. My HTC Evo View has access to google play, and I don't see any disadvantage with the Coby's lack of access.

Try it!

luis607

May 17, 2012
i have tried just manually installing the apps required for google play. However when I open google play and type in the account information it is unable to connect with google services to login. I will factory reset the device and try again, but I may be missing a step.

Also I am having the same problem with Adobe Flash Player install. Appears to install fine via .apk file, but when you open it just shows the blue puzzle piece. Went to adobe to use their verify flash player install and it says flash player is not installed. Once again I may be missing a step but it seems the actual apps are not fully installing.

Any suggestions?

downloaded this file seperately installed them in this order with es file explorer do not open the vending apk untill after you reboot tablet,this work for me on 7042.
1.one time installer
2.setup wizard
3.google service framework
4.vending market apk.3.3.12

rtcy2008

May 20, 2012
Found this on another forum, don't have one of these tablets yet so maybe someone who does wants to give it a try?

Source: Coby Kyros MID9742 - Android Forums

Edit: There's also a decent amount of troubleshooting in the linked thread, I reccommend having a good read before you do this.

According to ESET NOD 32 this Superone2.3.3 has 2 trojans in it! so beware

C:\Users\rt\Downloads\SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip » ZIP » Exploits/psneuter - Android/Exploit.Lotoor.AK trojan
C:\Users\rt\Downloads\SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip » ZIP » Exploits/zergRush - Android/Exploit.Lotoor.AN trojan

:mad:

rtcy2008

May 20, 2012
downloaded this file seperately installed them in this order with es file explorer do not open the vending apk untill after you reboot tablet,this work for me on 7042.
1.one time installer
2.setup wizard
3.google service framework
4.vending market apk.3.3.12

what web site did you download these files from ?

I have not figured out how to use the built in es file explorer I did download one from 1mobile and that worked ok, need to get more familiar with how this OS works and how to start apps and kill them

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
According to ESET NOD 32 this Superone2.3.3 has 2 trojans in it! so beware

C:\Users\rt\Downloads\SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip » ZIP » Exploits/psneuter - Android/Exploit.Lotoor.AK trojan
C:\Users\rt\Downloads\SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip » ZIP » Exploits/zergRush - Android/Exploit.Lotoor.AN trojan

:mad:
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SUPERONECLICK (Except for the fact it wont work to Root ICS Tablets, YET)

Most/Many Hacker Tools and Exploits (used in sites like XDA and this site) will be detected by Virus/Trogan scanners as potential threats.
In order to Root most devices, you have to Defeat / Exploit the device's Locks and Security that are set up to keep you from
Rooting the device to gain access to the System file folders.

Again, the very essence of a Hack is to Out Maneuver or Defeat the devices built-in protections, HENCE, -- The Threat Warning.

luis607

May 17, 2012
what web site did you download these files from ?

I have not figured out how to use the built in es file explorer I did download one from 1mobile and that worked ok, need to get more familiar with how this OS works and how to start apps and kill them

Do a google search for " How install android market on coby Kyros 7022" it is a youtube tutorial done by daprospecta give him the credit he has all the link for downloads and gives you step by step instructons this worked on my 7042 I myself did a google search for all the apks put them on the sd card used ES Eplorer to install them tuned off tablet restarted then open the market app.