Hard Rest - Custom Rom and Wifi Issues

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
Hi Guys n Gals!

I recently bought a Dawa D9 (or Utopia G10). 2 Speakers, with screws.

Had a couple of issues with it after messing around with it, and decided to do a hard reset (reset with pin in the bottom). BAD IDEA!

The tablet then got stuck on the "Android" console text that apears on boot.
As i was not expecting it to "brick" with the few things i was doing with it, i had not made a backup of the current rom/system.img

Well, i consider myself pretty crafty when it comes to computers and the like, so i started a "manual-repair" of sorts, and started doing adb stuff to make it work again.
I found out i couldn't do anything in terms of adb shell commands - no ls, mount or the likes. I was lucky though and push and pull still worked. I Could NOT pull a system.img file from the tablet, so i was beginning to think one wasn't there (maybe it got wiped along with everything else, when i did the factory reset. Maybe it was never there, i don't know)

I then proceeded to flash the XAUMOD custom rom with dual speaker support, and was VERY happy when i saw that the tablet finally got past the "ANDROID" text.

At first glance all apeared as it was meant to be. Camera worked, sound worked, touch worked. It all seemed fine and dandy (and to top it off, the tablet felt faster!)

Then the problems started. I could no longer see the internal SDcard originally mounted to /sdcard, that instead showed my external SD (which originally mounted to /extsd) - easy fix though, as it was just a little digging around in the filesystem and uncommenting a couple of lines in vold.fstab.

I then tried turning on WIFI so i could get online (i don't have the 3G version!)
The wifi never started and displayed on screen "Unable to scan for networks"
I googled it and found it a general issue with alot of different phones/tablets.

Well a couple of hours later (i think im on 3rd right now) and im about to give up.
Any ideas about how to fix this? I tried factory reset, removing the wpa_supplicant.conf file and alot of other stuff (like tapping the wifi button repeatedly, turning the tablet of and on again - several times! etc.)

Looking at wpa_supplicant.conf file i saw that it believes the wifi component is called "wlan0" (which i cant find in the /dev/ folder)
Does anyone know what the component is, or even better, could get me a link to the original system.img & system.md5 that comes with the tablet. I already lost the data/setup i had on the tablet, so reflashing wouldn't be a problem.

Please help me if anyone is able, i would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
dkzeb

Last edited:

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
Hi Virtual2011

Thank's for the image files, it works again now.
Im looking into modding the xaumod firmware so it will work for the DAWA D9/Utopia G10

I'll share it when it's working :)

Thanks again man!

virtual2011

May 13, 2011
better get to work android 2.3.3 firmware on our tablet :) only need to be very careful (recovery does not work, the calibration screen is not working) ,

system can only be restored completely copying the internal miniSD card
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/17810-apad-imx515-android233/page__st__60]APAD imx515 android2.3.3 - SlateDroid.com - Page 4[/URL]

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
well, ill look into it - would love gingerbread, but if we are going to put in alot of work into porting/fixing custom roms, shouldn't we be looking at Honeycomb?
Any one got a good place to get started?

Also i spoke with my supplier who stated that Gingerbread was just around the corner as an official firmware update, so i don't know how relevant it is to go manual on it.

On another note, i have the xaumod working for dual speaker with screws (G10/DAWA D9)
Wifi works
Cam. works
sdcards mount correctly
i can sign in to google, and thereby gmail and market and all of that stuff.

So far it seems like its working correctly

Im packing the system.img now, so if anybody wants it just say so, and ill upload it.

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
hmm, don't know on hand, but i would assume you could rip out the working vpn settings from the factory rom, and put it in with the xaumod (thats what i did for wifi).
Most likely its an issue with locating the right components and setting it up (again that's what was wrong with wifi, it looked for it in the wrong place)

Haven't had an opportunity to check vpn with my own device yet, but i might have a little later tonight. So i might have a solution for it.

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
does anyone know how to put the DAWA D9/Utopia G10 into download mode?
is this at all possible?

virtual2011

May 13, 2011
hmm, don't know on hand, but i would assume you could rip out the working vpn settings from the factory rom, and put it in with the xaumod (thats what i did for wifi).

in the original firmware modules VPN and CIFS also do not work :(

virtual2011

May 13, 2011
does anyone know how to put the DAWA D9/Utopia G10 into download mode?
is this at all possible?

What is download mode?

you talk about how to switch to - Recovery mode:
press the volume button (pressing the need for two buttons) + power button = Recovery mode

video here HiApad (HOW TO RECOVERY FACTORY SETTING)

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
yeah thats recovery mode, i use that normally to flash images.
Download mode is a seperate mode, normally used with programs like ODIN (for flashing)
My problem is that when i try flashing system.img from recovery now, i get a "Installation System Aborted" error, and it then proceeds to flash but i don't really think anything is flashed, cause it hangs after calibration or the "Android." text.
Anyway i started the dissasembly of the tablet. How the hell do i get the internal sdcard out of the slot? its like its glued in there or something. Probably just a lock i didnt figure out, but did you try pulling out the internal sdcard?

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
ok never mind (im kinda stupid)
it actually says "lock" on the top of the lid (of the internal sdcard) so you just pull it downward and it will pop open :p

mikers

Jun 21, 2011
Hello.
I have a tablet Utopia G10.
After I flash the firmware from the tablet XAUMOD I had the same problem with WiFi and SDcard.
I flash the firmware of this tablet is here (2011.04.06) Download rt-e2a0a_2011-0406.rar for free on uploading.com
PS: I have a full image of the internal tablet SDcard (image size 3,7 GB). It is fullyworking.

hi
There, in that the link is 9 files, did the "update system" or "update all"?
Because I can not I upload all the time and I have a problem with wifi and SDcard.
I also pops up with "update system" - "write mmc error"
Any hint?

Last edited:

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
hmm, write mcc error is a new one to me, but it sounds like somethings seriously wrong with the sdcard/card reader on the tablet...

*@ virtual2011 - you were a big help before with the firmware files, you don't pr any chance have a complete image of the entire sdcard? i somehow messed my partitions up! :(
regarding the VPN stuff i'll check it out when i get the chance, but right now my tablet is pretty much bricked thanks to me playing around with a honeycomb system.img
so as it says in the next post, a complete image of original internal sdcard would help me out ALOT right now :p

Last edited:

dkzeb

Jun 18, 2011
btw mike are you using the xaumod? or standard firmware? and can you still boot up ur tablet?

i just scooped around the web and "write mmc error" supposedly indicates a corrupted mmc (multi media card)
you could try this out http://cuaryos.blogspot.com/2010/03/repair-mmc-error-write.html
i would note though that this will wipe the entire card along with ALL partitions (this includes recovery, system and well, really everything)
so you shouldn't do this unless we can get a hold of an image of the entire sdcard (which i'm currently also looking for, so if anybody has it please share)

Last edited: