how to add internet anywhere to Z91 upgrade, USB/ dongle, etc???

ddidominicis

May 4, 2012
I have a new Z91 upgrade, but the wifi even in my home is very limited. What can I purchase for the tablet to have internet anywhere? will those carriers at&t or verison things work? Or do I just need some sort of better antenna to plug into the tablet (what kind) to get better wifi. My at&t phone gets excellent internet reception anywhere? any help to get better internet would be appreciated.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Although I do not have any experience with your tablet, most Android devices struggle with USB 3G dongles due to lack of drivers to make them work.

The two most successful methods are to either tether (WiFi or Bluetooth) to a smartphone, or get a MiFi 3G/4G device.

I got a 4G Verizon Wireless MiFi and it works great. It allows up to 5 devices to connect to a shared 3G/4G signal. On 4G I have gotten up to 27 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.

The other option is to tether to your phone. Doing this, you are supposed to do it through your carrier. Depending on your phone, you may be able to do it natively, or you may need to jailbreak or root to get it to work with something like PDANet or FoxFi. If you tether without your carriers permission, they are not going to say much unless you are using a lot (1GB +) of data each month for tethering.

I recently got tethering in my AT&T iPhone and find it much more convenient so I do not have to keep my MiFi charged up and with me. Just switch it on on the phone. I have found that usually tethering is a bit cheaper, but it can also kill your battery on your phone in no time flat.

ddidominicis

May 4, 2012
This Wireless MiFi adapter, do you pay a monthly charge, and where do I get one? I have a smart phone and it does ALL the same stuff, but the 10inch tablet is easier on my eyes. If I have to use the phone, then I will just use the phone. It makes the tablet to be a waste of money. I wanted the tablet to read, but so far no books will open on the tablet or the background and letters are both white so almost impossible to read. I wanted the internet on the go to download more reading material. thankyou for your assistance.

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
MiFI is great but you should be able to get a 3G dongle that work with Zenithink. Two of my operators in Kenya is offering Android Compatiible 3G dongles so don't tell me that we are doing better than United States of America the birth place of Android ;)

If you have problems setting up the Dongle you might find this guide usefull: How to setup your 3G modem

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
This Wireless MiFi adapter, do you pay a monthly charge, and where do I get one? I have a smart phone and it does ALL the same stuff, but the 10inch tablet is easier on my eyes. If I have to use the phone, then I will just use the phone. It makes the tablet to be a waste of money. I wanted the tablet to read, but so far no books will open on the tablet or the background and letters are both white so almost impossible to read. I wanted the internet on the go to download more reading material. thankyou for your assistance.

The monthly charge would be similar to what you would pay for a USB dongle. Any wireless operator should have them for sale.

MiFI is great but you should be able to get a 3G dongle that work with Zenithink. Two of my operators in Kenya is offering Android Compatiible 3G dongles so don't tell me that we are doing better than United States of America the birth place of Android ;)

If you have problems setting up the Dongle you might find this guide usefull: How to setup your 3G modem

They exist. Looks like if you can find one in that list you should be good to go. I have not seen many people with ICS Transformers (TF101, TF201, TF300 and SL101's) having much luck with that. I know the MiFi is a guaranteed method. This should work too. Your mobile provider should be able to swap out for a MiFi if this does not work right away too.