How to Extend the 14-Day Magazine Trial (?)

Discussion in 'Nook Color Technical' started by gadgetrants, Dec 26, 2010.

1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Asus OG Transformer, Droid 3
    I decided to do one of those 14-day magazine trials, and picked National Geographic Traveler. Of course it looks beautiful on the NC.

On a whim, I wondered if I could find it on the internal memory. Indeed, there was the magazine, stored in epub format in /media/B&N Downloads/Magazines. My NC is rooted, but I think the NC media directory also shows up on non-rooted NCs when you connect to a PC with USB:

$10-12-26-1.jpg

So I used the file manager (Root Explorer) to make a copy, and then pasted the copy in the corresponding folder on the SD card:

$10-12-26-2.jpg

Next, I navigated back to the B&N Library, and then from My Files, worked my way back to the folder on the SD card with the copy. Sure enough, there it was:

$10-12-26-5.jpg

To my amazement, when I clicked on it, it opened and displayed exactly like the original, including navigation tools like Contents and ArticleView (a nice trick for displaying the text of the stories).

$10-12-26-4.jpg

The question, of course, is what happens in a few days when I cancel the free trial? I assume the original copy will be deleted. I wonder what will happen to the duplicate on the SD card...? If it's protected with DRM, perhaps it will be encrypted and not readable...or.... :rolleyes:

-Matt

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    Hmm...well, regarding the DRM (copy protection) question: on a second whim I made a copy of the epub magazine file and put it on my PC. When I opened it up with the PC version of the Nook reader...it displayed pretty well. Ironically, in the PC ebook reader, it looks like the ArticleView (streamlined for reading) with no ads. Table of contents are intact, and hyperlinks also work. It may be a nice alternative to reading on the NC?

-Matt

3. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    A few things I've learned about magazine subscriptions:

(1) I canceled the National Geographic Traveler subscription (I think it can only be done on the B&N website), and it said "wait an hour." Nothing happened. I repeated several times, and finally today received a cancellation email.

(2) Apparently the trial copies are ours to keep (no DRM?):

eBook Help FAQs - Barnes*&*Noble

-Matt

4. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    ^Cool, maybe we can trade with friends or fellow Androidtablets.net users. *wink*wink*

5. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    Ah you know, this thread was so quiet I was afraid you (or others) disapproved of what I was...er, um...implying. *wink*wink*

Oh, by the way the issues are running 20-40MB. Too bad we can't just post them on the forum!

-Matt

6. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    Yes posting on this thread won't be the best idea but using megaupload or rapidshare and pm or emailing friends is another. :)