How to install su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip on stock MID7022?

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

I'm new here, and just got my MID7022, so it's stock, and I probably want to remain stock for awhile.

I've gotten Market installed using the APKs from one of the threads here (install about 6 APKs, in order).

Now, I'd like to be able to temp root (preferably) the MID7022, mainly so that I can use Titanium Backup.

I've been googling, and found links for su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip, and I downloaded that, but (a) how do I install that, and (b) once I install that, what do I do with it (how to use it)? I'd rather not install CWM yet, as I'm guessing/I think that installing CWM would replace the stock MID7022 recovery partition?

Can I just:

1) Rename su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip to update.zip
2) Put the renamed update.zip on /sdcard on the MID7022
3) Power on while holding Power + the round button (back button?)

Also, as I said, how do I use su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip? Is it only to give me 'su' when I use a terminal or adb (which would be ok... I'm use to command line stuff :))?

Sorry for all the questions!

Jim

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I'm new here, and just got my MID7022, so it's stock, and I probably want to remain stock for awhile.

I've gotten Market installed using the APKs from one of the threads here (install about 6 APKs, in order).

Now, I'd like to be able to temp root (preferably) the MID7022, mainly so that I can use Titanium Backup.

I've been googling, and found links for su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip, and I downloaded that, but (a) how do I install that, and (b) once I install that, what do I do with it (how to use it)? I'd rather not install CWM yet, as I'm guessing/I think that installing CWM would replace the stock MID7022 recovery partition?

Can I just:

1) Rename su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip to update.zip
2) Put the renamed update.zip on /sdcard on the MID7022
3) Power on while holding Power + the round button (back button?)

Also, as I said, how do I use su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip? Is it only to give me 'su' when I use a terminal or adb (which would be ok... I'm use to command line stuff :))?

Sorry for all the questions!

Jim

Flashing su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip will not give you a temp root. I heard z4root gives you a temp root but I havn't tested it. If you want to use that zip i recommend you flash clockworkmod and create a backup before flashing the file. To flash a file you have to put the zip inside the micro sd card and rename it to update.zip

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Flashing su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip will not give you a temp root. I heard z4root gives you a temp root but I havn't tested it. If you want to use that zip i recommend you flash clockworkmod and create a backup before flashing the file. To flash a file you have to put the zip inside the micro sd card and rename it to update.zip

Hi,

I used z4root on my Gtablet, but, at least with the APK I have, z4root doesn't work on my MID7022. I really don't want to install CWM unless I have to :(...

Jim

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I used z4root on my Gtablet, but, at least with the APK I have, z4root doesn't work on my MID7022. I really don't want to install CWM unless I have to :(...

Jim

I can't say if z4 root worked for me since I have never tried it but I can say that you can backup the stock recovery before installing clockworkmod and restore the stock recovery since I have succesfully restored the stock recovery. Hope this makes you more comfortable about getting clockworkmod

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
I can't say if z4 root worked for me since I have never tried it but I can say that you can backup the stock recovery before installing clockworkmod and restore the stock recovery since I have succesfully restored the stock recovery. Hope this makes you more comfortable about getting clockworkmod

Hi,

I went ahead and did the dump to backup the recovery, and then installed CWM4. Then, I was able to boot into CWM (recovery), used that to backup my MID7022, and then used CWM to install the su-...zip file.

I then installer superuser from Market, and now, when I go into terminal (or adb), I can "su" and get to root.

I then installed Titanium Backup, and that requests root, and I grant it, but TB is listing no apps :(...

In researching that, it seems like it's because there is no busybox.

So, I installed Root Explorer, and searched, and I don't see busybox anywhere?

I thought that busybox is suppose to get installed with either Superuser APK or with su??

Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, how/where did you get busybox?

Thanks,
Jim

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

Well, I think that I've got things working. Here's a more detailed summary of what I had to do to get root, busybox, and Titanium Backup working on my MID7022.

1) I renamed the dump zip to update.zip, copied it to my external sdcard root, then did recover boot (power + round button on front) to install the dump zip, which backed up my recovery partition, then I installed CWM the same way (rename CWM zip to update.zip, copy to external sdcard root, recovery boot), per: http://androtab.info/telechips/firmwares

) I used CWM to backup my system to the external sdcard

3) I then copied su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip to the external sdcard, and used CWM to install it

4) I installed Superuser from Market.

5) At this point, I "had root", i.e., I could go into terminal, and do "su", but Titanium backup was not showing any apps :(...

6) From searching this problem with TB is usually because of missing busybox, so I installed Busybox (Eric...) from Market.

7) I also installed "Root Check" from Market. That confirmed that I had root and that I had busybox.

8) However, TB still showed no apps :(...

9) I noticed that TB showed it was using busybox.1-18.4-Titanium, but prior to installing busybox from Market, when I searched, I couldn't find a busybox anywhere, so I suspected that TB was trying to use a non-existent busybox.

10) So, in TB Preferences, I changed it to use the system busybox (same version, as it turns out), and VOILA, TB could finally see my apps.

I'm now in the process of having TB backup all of my apps. I've also emailed TB support to see what they say about why TB apparently didn't install its own busybox when I installed it from Market.

I guess that I'm just "spoiled" by my experience with the Gtablet and with z4root. This just seemed like a LOT of work, but I got to where I wanted in the end, so I'm semi-happy :).

Hopefully, this info will help some other MID7022 newbie in the future...

Jim

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
I have tried all methods, Gingerbreak, rageagainisthecage, Psnesuter. None of them work. I think the only way to root is through clockwordmod.

Oct 11, 2010
Good to know info. I was surprised at the easy root method but what is odd to me was no root required to install cwm. then use cwm to gain root. usually its root first. :)

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

Well, I think that I've got things working. Here's a more detailed summary of what I had to do to get root, busybox, and Titanium Backup working on my MID7022.

1) I renamed the dump zip to update.zip, copied it to my external sdcard root, then did recover boot (power + round button on front) to install the dump zip, which backed up my recovery partition, then I installed CWM the same way (rename CWM zip to update.zip, copy to external sdcard root, recovery boot), per: http://androtab.info/telechips/firmwares

) I used CWM to backup my system to the external sdcard

3) I then copied su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip to the external sdcard, and used CWM to install it

4) I installed Superuser from Market.

5) At this point, I "had root", i.e., I could go into terminal, and do "su", but Titanium backup was not showing any apps :(...

6) From searching this problem with TB is usually because of missing busybox, so I installed Busybox (Eric...) from Market.

7) I also installed "Root Check" from Market. That confirmed that I had root and that I had busybox.

8) However, TB still showed no apps :(...

9) I noticed that TB showed it was using busybox.1-18.4-Titanium, but prior to installing busybox from Market, when I searched, I couldn't find a busybox anywhere, so I suspected that TB was trying to use a non-existent busybox.

10) So, in TB Preferences, I changed it to use the system busybox (same version, as it turns out), and VOILA, TB could finally see my apps.

I'm now in the process of having TB backup all of my apps. I've also emailed TB support to see what they say about why TB apparently didn't install its own busybox when I installed it from Market.

I guess that I'm just "spoiled" by my experience with the Gtablet and with z4root. This just seemed like a LOT of work, but I got to where I wanted in the end, so I'm semi-happy :).

Hopefully, this info will help some other MID7022 newbie in the future...

Jim

Thx for your method on getting titanium backup working I have been playing around for three weeks and could not figure out why people like it so much until now. I have a few questions about tiranium backup
1. Why are some app names in red?
2.why do some names strikethroughed?
3. After backing up why are some smiley face red and others yellow?
Thanks in advance

Oct 11, 2010
I found titanium backup free u must run the first three backupps in batch mode, user apps, system apps and all apps and data for all to back up properly. :)

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Thx for your method on getting titanium backup working I have been playing around for three weeks and could not figure out why people like it so much until now. I have a few questions about tiranium backup
1. Why are some app names in red?
2.why do some names strikethroughed?
3. After backing up why are some smiley face red and others yellow?
Thanks in advance

Hi,

I haven't used TB very long, but there's a user guide here:

http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TB+-+User's+guide

According to that, it says:

"Tapping the “Backup/Restore” button brings you to the application list – or rather the list of available “items”. Here you can see which applications and settings are available on your phone, and what has already been backed up (the symbols to the right tell you the latter – hit your phones menu button and select “Legend” for details on what they mean)."

I didn't know that, but that "Legend" should explain what things mean.

Jim

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I haven't used TB very long, but there's a user guide here:

http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TB+-+User's+guide

According to that, it says:

"Tapping the “Backup/Restore” button brings you to the application list – or rather the list of available “items”. Here you can see which applications and settings are available on your phone, and what has already been backed up (the symbols to the right tell you the latter – hit your phones menu button and select “Legend” for details on what they mean)."

I didn't know that, but that "Legend" should explain what things mean.

Jim

Thx will try it out