[How To] Manually Update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo"

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I am still debating since I would lose the USB Host feature.

Updated - This update DOES NOT affect external devices using the HOST port - mouse, keyboard, or USB drives connected to the Host port are recognized.

What you do lose is the ability to mount the SD card on computer after the update via the OTG port. The update maybe missing UdiskMountService.apk or other infoTM specific files that provided this functionality. Still researching this.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
An alternative method to determine the "hwver", without the need to use adb is through the use of a Terminal Emulator application.

The Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich is a VT-100 compatible terminal emulator for Android devices without the need to root. Additional information: jackpal / Android-Terminal-Emulator wiki

After installing the application - From the shell prompt $ type "cat /proc/cmdline" without the "" and click the enter/return key in the bottom to get the "hwver".

Once the "hwver" is determined the remaining steps of the update process can be followed.

Last edited:

cliffordtrue

Nov 27, 2010
An alternative method to determine the "hwver", without the need to use adb is through the use of a Terminal Emulator application.

Android Terminal Emulator version 1.02.24 by Jack Palevich is an application that is reported to work on an unrooted or rooted device.

After installing the application - From the shell prompt $ type "cat /proc/cmdline" without the "" and click the enter/return key in the bottom to get the "hwver".

Once the "hwver" is determined the remaining steps of the update process can be followed.

I know you addressed the Model number showing the same on different units in settings/About, but on the bottom it also shows the Hardware Version. Does show the same for the different units as well? I have the SYNET7LP version with HDMI (Also verified before using ADB) with the DG2.2 upgrade. Not sure if the DG2.02 version shows the hardware version or not.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if the DG2.02 version shows the hardware version or not.

Hardware version wasn't displayed on the "About device" screen in DG2.02. Both the ""firmware_version" and "device_model" were hard coded into Settings.apk.

Code:
.line 61
    const-string v1, "firmware_version"

const-string v2, "DG2.02"

invoke-direct {p0, v1, v2}, Lcom/android/settings/DeviceInfoSettings;->setStringSummary(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

.line 66
    const-string v1, "device_model"

const-string v2, "SYNET7LP"

invoke-direct {p0, v1, v2}, Lcom/android/settings/DeviceInfoSettings;->setStringSummary(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V
In DG2.20 they are also hard coded.
Code:
    .line 64
    const-string v9, "firmware_version"

const-string v10, "DG2.20"

invoke-direct {p0, v9, v10}, Lcom/android/settings/DeviceInfoSettings;->setStringSummary(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

.line 67
    const-string v9, "device_model"

const-string v10, "SYNET7LP"

invoke-direct {p0, v9, v10}, Lcom/android/settings/DeviceInfoSettings;->setStringSummary(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V
Therefore a SYTABEX7 or a Disgo 6000, once updated to DG2.20, using this method will report they are "Model number SYNET7LP".
However, new in DG2.20, the "Hardware ID" will be programmatically "/proc/cmdline" identified and displayed.

Last edited:

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
Since updating my music player and image gallery are not pulling media files. I have downloaded 4 different music players and none will pull my mp3s into the program. I can use my file manager and go to each mp3 and play them that way, but that is not very practical.

Last edited:

belam

Apr 12, 2011
I updated my synet7lp and when it finished it went dead, could not get it to come back on. Is there anyway I can get it back to working

belam

Apr 12, 2011
Tried the factory reset and it did nothing. I used the iuw, don't remember what the msg were but it went thru saying it was installing. I beleive it said reboot but to tell the truth I think I may have put the wrong one in by mystake. I click on the wrong one but it installed but it will not boot or come on or nothing.

belam

Apr 12, 2011
Looking back the one I put in was 11.2.1.8.2.1.ius and I don't remember what the ver was.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
So first thing you need is the pointer calibration file. Someone here who has rooted their tablet should look it up, on all other infotmic tablets the file is /data/misc/tscal/pointercal

Once that is available, I can help with the other steps.

Ok. so I pulled the pointercal file from my stock EX7 DG2.01 Kv 2.6.32.9 Zhouli@judy-pc #31 Hwvr 11.2..1.5

ZumoDrive - pointercal

zumodrive has been weird lately. if the main button to DL in the middle of the page doesn't work [eg error] try the other Dl link in the right column

sbartgis

Apr 13, 2011
Windows 7 64-bit w/OTG = fail, Windows XP w/OTG = win

The speed is much improved and the battery charge indicator isn't on permanent animate/charging. Seems zippier too!

So my whole reason for undertaking this exercise was to run my company's UI (in Flash) on this low-cost tablet. No matter what browser I use, or site I visit or SWF I download... no love from Flash. The list of installed applications shows Adobe Flash Player 10.1.105.7. You cannot uninstall it. You cannot update it.

Anyone know how to make it do something?

jwssr

Apr 11, 2011
sbartgis... having the same problem ....I tried Opera Mini....which I use on my Gingerbread htc G1 Dream(they said this couldnt be done!).

I have just put 2.2 on my sylvania tab , following the great advice on this thread....It took me maybe 15 mins to accomplish.
A huge thanks to all contribute to this thread.

I can get youtube with flash to work fine....some other sites fail....

My wifi drops off and only a reboot will restore....although on this thread....I read where reload drivers may fix it...Im trying that.

Best of luck..

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
My wifi drops off and only a reboot will restore....although on this thread....I read where reload drivers may fix it...Im trying that..

Let us know how that goes. and what file you used. :)