How to root a Kyros 7127/8127 with Android 4.0.3 ?

Elite

May 11, 2012
Hi there,

i got a brand new Kyros 8127 and did the Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 provided by Coby.

This is a nice device but totally useless without gapps.

So i tried the SuperOneClick Root approach described by thekwa, but this works only for Gingerbread and not ICS.

Any idea how to get at least clockworkmod on this machine?

Fastboot does not report any device right now (adb shows the device).

Also placing any update.zip to /sdcard/tflash does not work. The SD card is now mounted to /flash , but placing the an update.zip here does also not work.

Any idea, or things i should investigate?

skietala

May 11, 2012
Coby did not release an ICS 4.0.3 upgrade for any of their models, when asked all they say is "
Unfortunately the units themselves are only built to support the Android version that they came with. We are constantly striving to bring you the best OS available.". so out of curiosity where exactly did you find this update?​

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
Hi there,

i got a brand new Kyros 8127 and did the Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 provided by Coby.

This is a nice device but totally useless without gapps.

So i tried the SuperOneClick Root approach described by thekwa, but this works only for Gingerbread and not ICS.

Any idea how to get at least clockworkmod on this machine?

Fastboot does not report any device right now (adb shows the device).

Also placing any update.zip to /sdcard/tflash does not work. The SD card is now mounted to /flash , but placing the an update.zip here does also not work.

Any idea, or things i should investigate?

Google Unlock Root and give it a shot.

Elite

May 11, 2012
Thanks for the idea with rootunlock.com , but all of these known root exploits (i know of) work only for Android < 4.

So zergRush, rootunlock and similar exploits do not work.

Any other ideas?

Elite

May 11, 2012
FYI, the build properties:

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=CaribbeanSunset_v1.1
ro.build.display.id=CaribbeanSunset_v1.1.0002
ro.build.version.incremental=0002
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=Mon May 7 04:15:56 CEST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1336356956
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=marvin
ro.build.host=heartofgold
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=MID8127
ro.product.brand=Coby
ro.product.name=coby_mid8127
ro.product.device=em86
ro.product.board=em86
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Coby
ro.product.locale.language=de
ro.product.locale.region=DE
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tcc88xx
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=em86
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=coby_mid8127-user 4.0.3 CaribbeanSunset_v1.1 0002 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Coby/coby_mid8127/em86:4.0.3/CaribbeanSunset_v1.1/0002:user/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties
ro.system.hdmi_max_resolution=fullhd
ro.system.hdmi_active=true
ro.system.hdmi_portable=true
tcc.hdmi.720p.fixed=0

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
qemu.sf.lcd_density=120
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
wifi.interface=wlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
persist.sys.timezone=Europe/Amsterdam
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Elite

May 11, 2012
That explains it, is that release in german or english?

I am using the german version and did not try to change it into english, but in the other thread somebody flashed its 70xx device and could switch to english without a problem.

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
The way I got the 7022 to have root was by flashing the recovery by fast boot and upon the first reboot going into recovery and flashing a zip file that installs super user. It worked with a side effect of the custom recovery also not being rewritten by the system upon boot.

To see the chain of events read my thread on ICS on 7022.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk 2

Elite

May 11, 2012
Two more failures:

unlockroot did recognize the device and reported no error. But the pushed superuser/su/busybox was not installed on the system and rooting did not work.
I have no clue if they (creators of unlockroot) have some debug mode for more output to see whats happening...

Also the idea of piratesscareme did not work, flushing CWM via fastboot as recovery (ok, no error), boot into system, reboot into recovery did not work. Just the open droid with warning was shown...

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
Two more failures:

unlockroot did recognize the device and reported no error. But the pushed superuser/su/busybox was not installed on the system and rooting did not work.
I have no clue if they (creators of unlockroot) have some debug mode for more output to see whats happening...

Also the idea of piratesscareme did not work, flushing CWM via fastboot as recovery (ok, no error), boot into system, reboot into recovery did not work. Just the open droid with warning was shown...

Unlock Root creates a log in the install directory. All the tools are there as well. You might want to try copying ICs compatible Superuser and SU to replace the existing in the tools.

Elite

May 11, 2012
Using the latest Superuser.apk/su together with unlockroot also does not root the device.

Is there anybody out there who was able to root a 8127/7127 with one of the methods mentioned above?
I am really not stupid to use adb/fastboot, but as long as there is no working root, its not possible to install a not correctly signed CWM...

uncle_feo

Feb 4, 2012
Using the latest Superuser.apk/su together with unlockroot also does not root the device.

Is there anybody out there who was able to root a 8127/7127 with one of the methods mentioned above?
I am really not stupid to use adb/fastboot, but as long as there is no working root, its not possible to install a not correctly signed CWM...

Why did you write 7127/8127 ?

Update for 8127 only