I did a stupid thing..

Sam

Jan 22, 2010
I flashed Cyanogenmod7 to my NC and was messing with settings.. I changed the lock screen setting to use the menu button to unlock, rather than a slider, and of course it doesn't work. All I'm getting is the lock screen (you know with the clock and slider, but without the slider) and the menu button doesn't do anything. It still boots/reboots locked, so that didn't work..

Am I gonna have to reflash, or do you guys know something I don't? (Likely the case here) ;)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You can try booting into recovery and installing cm7 right over top without wiping or anything. Should restore default settings. I am not sure though if it will mess anything up. I do this on droid when I want to remove a theme or add stock kernel back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sam

Jan 22, 2010
yeah, I would try that, but I was using a buddy's sd card that I don't have with me now.. I wish it was easy peasy like the droid, I do the same thing with mine...

Jan 28, 2011
Sad to say I did the same thing the other day. Need to flash it again. Power off then back on holding the n button and you're set. If you have titanium backup and had your launcher screens saved, you can get it back pretty quickly with minimal effort. Now if you don't have CWM on your sd card, you'll need to get the sd card from your buddy.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
YOu can also just download the button-remapping zip that someone made (and I can't remember where it is off hand) over at XDA that remaps one of the volume keys to the menu button and viola, you're fixed. Then I recommend changing that lock screen. You can always remove the key mapping when done if you don't want it.

Sam

Jan 22, 2010
thanks guys. i hadn't gotten too far into the setup stuff, so it wouldn't be a huge bother to reflash it. thanks again for the help!

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
YOu can also just download the button-remapping zip that someone made (and I can't remember where it is off hand) over at XDA that remaps one of the volume keys to the menu button and viola, you're fixed. Then I recommend changing that lock screen. You can always remove the key mapping when done if you don't want it.

I just did the exact same thing as the OP. I'm trying to search for a fix and came across this post. Now how do I get this ZIP you speak of? I know this is an old thread, but can someone please help me with easier instructions?

EDIT: Found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965023 Still lost, trying to figure this out on my own. I downloaded the first file. Now trying to figure out whats next.

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I just did the exact same thing as the OP. I'm trying to search for a fix and came across this post. Now how do I get this ZIP you speak of? I know this is an old thread, but can someone please help me with easier instructions?

You'll have to go to the XDA-developers forum and search there. That's where the zip file is located and Faceman said he couldn't remember exactly where. Everything else you need to know is in the above posts or can be found with a quick forum or Google search. Good luck! :)

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Sue, I edited my above post. I found the file, and some kind of way, got it onto the nook (on my auto nooter side). It worked, volume buttons became menu and back. But when I put the cm7 card back in, the volume keys aren't doing anything again. So... I still need help. The instructions with those files over on xda seem like they might not work for cm7 on a sd card??

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I've been working on this for over an hour and searching everywhere. I guess what I need to know now, is how do I get this file onto my cm7 card, when its locked and I can't access the card at all?

I was hoping that since it worked on my Autonooter running on emmc, I hoped it would carry over when I booted to cm7 on SD. But it didn't. Still need help :(

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I even tried copying the key editor files from my autonooter, to my pc desktop so that I could copy them from desktop to cm7 card. It won't even let me do that. Probably because I can't "enable usb mode" to transfer files because I'm locked out. I really screwed this up. Anyone? JP?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, I'm not quite following. So you wanted to remap your buttons which you did on autonooter. Then you wanted to do the same thing on CM7 bootable. So you inserted the boot card but the button remaping didn't apply when booted into CM7 (as it should not).

How did you get locked out of CM7 and what do you mean by locked out? If you can't enable usb mode you can use Samba or Dropbox or another similar app to wirelessly move files between the nook and the pc.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Hi JP. I created my issue exactly how Sam did in the OP. I was messing around in the settings and changed the lock screen setting to usse the menu button to unlock, rather than a slider. Now my SD cm7 nook is locked upon power up and I cannot unlock it, because there is no menu button.

To fix it, I tried to use the volume remapping suggestion above, but how am I supposed to get that onto a "locked" device? I see you suggested Samba or Drop Box. I didn't have either of those apps before, so now again, how do I get them onto a "locked" device. I can't do anything with my "locked" device.

Everything I've read, sounds like people with this issue were able to fix it because they had CM7 on internal memory. I have it on SD card and have no idea how to fix. Please help me or just tell me to throw it away and buy a new card if that's what it's going to come down to.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I just tried the dropbox idea. Didn't work because I cannot physically install it onto the cm7 card with it being locked. I downloaded it from the market webpage on my PC but again, cannot install. So back to trying to manually transfer the key editor files onto my cm7 card- I get a pop up message on my PC saying that there is not enough space on boot. Because it's reading the SD card as a boot card and shows there is no available storage space. Maybe if there is a way to fix that, I could get somewhere. Any other suggestions?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I've been working on this for over an hour and searching everywhere. I guess what I need to know now, is how do I get this file onto my cm7 card, when its locked and I can't access the card at all?

I was hoping that since it worked on my Autonooter running on emmc, I hoped it would carry over when I booted to cm7 on SD. But it didn't. Still need help :(

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

Take the card out, put it in your computer and copy the file over. Then put it back in your Nook and boot up while holding the power and N button.