Installed Android version?

FlyBoyBob

Oct 21, 2011
Hi - I am trying to install an app that "only works with Android 2.1 or greater", but it's not working.

How / where do I find the current installed version on my Pandigital Novel 7" white that I bought less than a year ago?

Thanks in advance for any help,
bob

FlyBoyBob

Oct 21, 2011
Settings->About

Tried that already, but nothing looks even vaguely like "Android version 2.x", or even "Android"

It might be buried cryptically in some of the "firmware" strings - I was hoping I was/am not the first to try to figure that out.

Thanks for the prompt response,
bob

FlyBoyBob

Oct 21, 2011
According to the Pandigital website my unit "...comes along with an embedded internet browser, Samsung’s ARM Processor 11, 256 MB DRAM and is powered with Android 2.0 version out of the box which is upgradable to 2.1 version"

The app I am trying to install requires "Android version 2.1 or better"

I did the upgrade, my unit says I "have the latest firmware", but the app does not install due to a "Parse Error"

The first thing I need to eliminate is the installed Android version - which Pandigital claims should be 2.1, unless I'm doing something wrong (entirely possible) or their website is wrong.

Are you saying that the version of the upgrade that Pandigital offers is not 2.1 as they say?
Still looking for a way to have the unit itself tell me what is installed....

bob

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
Reference slatedroid.com for more information than you care to consume about the WPDN.

FlyBoyBob

Oct 21, 2011
I've got the Pandigital Novel Reader that I rooted using files that I found on slatedroid and it worked like a charm. You want to get the file with Google Apps with it and then install the 2.1.1 supplement. Here is the link that you will need to do this. It is Alternate WPDN Firmware: OP-based "OPDN" (current version 2.1.1) - SlateDroid.com. Let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks! I have finally established that my device has Android 2.0 installed, despite what the Pandigital site says. I tried installing some free game apps and they all have a [Compatibility] function that reports 2.0. The other app (Homeseer HSTouch) I am having trouble installing says clearly that it must be 2.1 or better.

Problem not solved yet but I will try this 2.1.1 link.

Thanks again,
bob

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
Keep in mind, 2.1.1 is just kewlguy's designation. You'll be able to run *some* apps for Android 2.1. and not others. Good luck.

Oh. and FYI, that's what I'm running on my WPDN.