Kinpad I600 7" Capacitive, Phone 3G GPS Wifi HDMI 2.2

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Unless Freescale migrates the iMX515 SDK to HC, all bets are off. Plus you guys will never see kernel source. That's the thing with Chinese tablets like this.

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Hey Guys,

Am I pleased I found you!

I bought my I600 from ShowChina/AliExpress and was very nervous, but it arrived just before Chinese New Year and had to shout at DHL UK before they pulled their finger out.

Overall I'm VERY happy with the product; just yesterday I had 15 minutes to kill so went in to look at a Galaxy S Tab; very nice screen but I'm sure my I600 is MUCH faster going to the Apps page.

Just downloading the update now.

Cheers,
Richard

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Unless Freescale migrates the iMX515 SDK to HC, all bets are off. Plus you guys will never see kernel source. That's the thing with Chinese tablets like this.

Can you elaborate?
Why would freescale have to migrate sdk for HC ? Because of the Microcontroller ? Drivers ? The processor is widley used and freescale works directly with google so I dont understand what you are saying. Googles OS is open source so cant we see the kernel?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Richard,

Im glad to hear we have another user who phisically has an i600 can you tell us if the unit has branding or not or upload some pics of yours for the users who are still waiting like me

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I don't know how to best explain this to you, but you are underestimating the work required to make an operating system work as it does say on Windows. You can't run anything with the source code alone, but you need someone to assemble it for you. During that process, things have to be modified to make things fit properly. These changes made do not necessarily get open sourced again. One of these components is the Linux kernel, which is one of the key components to the Android operating system. It is like asking someone to make a necklace from a gold bar, with no tools.

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Richard,

Im glad to hear we have another user who phisically has an i600 can you tell us if the unit has branding or not or upload some pics of yours for the users who are still waiting like me

Here you go!

I specifically asked for the product not to have any branding as I didn't like the blue ShowChina logo on the front, plus I was thinking about selling them here in the UK, I feel a bit uncomfortable using the Kinpad name (uncomfortable in that I don't want to get sued). Ignore the 'staple imprint' on the I600's screen, the screen is perfect it's just that my SonyEricsson W890i is getting old. You can see more here:
Horus Devices | Android

Just playing around with the site and Horus name at the moment; anyone got good ideas for a new MID product name (if I'm successful in selling more than 1000 of them I'll buy you a tablet of your choice)!

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• $DSC00162.JPG
    $DSC00162.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 288
  • $DSC00161.JPG
    $DSC00161.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 291
  • $DSC00163.JPG
    $DSC00163.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I think a good name would be lifepad .....lifetab.......or Lifebook Slate... considering that this hardware becomes a big part of ones life.......storing memories personal information and lots of things affecting your life. Thank you for the pictures

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I don't know how to best explain this to you, but you are underestimating the work required to make an operating system work as it does say on Windows. You can't run anything with the source code alone, but you need someone to assemble it for you. During that process, things have to be modified to make things fit properly. These changes made do not necessarily get open sourced again. One of these components is the Linux kernel, which is one of the key components to the Android operating system. It is like asking someone to make a necklace from a gold bar, with no tools.

So basically what you are saying is that the HC OS needs to be built around the hardware technology that this particular slate offers. I can completely understand that, But the slate already has 2.2 on it so who built the 2.2 system around the device hardware?

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
I think a good name would be lifepad .....lifetab.......or Lifebook Slate... considering that this hardware becomes a big part of ones life.......storing memories personal information and lots of things affecting your life. Thank you for the pictures

Great names and will keep you informed.

Before I placed my order I actually called ShowChina on the telephone; have you emailed or called them to chase your order?

Thanks very much,
Richard

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I hope I haven't overlooked anything but can somebody tell me what this "alleged" GPS of this device is all about?

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Last edited:

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
Problem is, MY Kinpad never found any satellites, no matter what! :(

That's why I asked, anybody else have that problem?

I am trying to find out if it's just MY device or a bug in general.

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Well mine's working (don't you just hate it when people tell you that) but haven't upgraded the OS yet; have you upgraded?

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Great names and will keep you informed.

Before I placed my order I actually called ShowChina on the telephone; have you emailed or called them to chase your order?

Thanks very much,
Richard

I didn't order mine from showchina I ordered through merimobiles. No tracking yet but its preorder and doesn't ship unti March 4th.

Last edited:

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
(don't you just hate it when people tell you that)

Usually YES but in this case I'm really happy about that info ;) I've done ALL the Updates, GPS never worked on my device with ANY firmware version :-(

Here is an example:
$GPSKinPad.jpg

If I am not mistaken, this yellow dot should be GREEN?

Whatever Software I have tried, a GPS unit is being found but I've NEVER been able to get this thing to find any satellites :-(