Kinpad I600 7" Capacitive, Phone 3G GPS Wifi HDMI 2.2

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Usually YES but in this case I'm really happy about that info ;) I've done ALL the Updates, GPS never worked on my device with ANY firmware version :-(

Here is an example:
View attachment 1379

If I am not mistaken, this yellow dot should be GREEN?

Whatever Software I have tried, a GPS unit is being found but I've NEVER been able to get this thing to find any satellites :-(

What app is that? Im using google maps/navigation and thats working?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Has someone bothered to take apart the thing and figured out if the mainboard is still the PCB board by Shenzhen Richtechie found in the 8" Freescale iMX515 tablets? If it's at least similar, you should have a recovery mode where you can flash system.img. If it isn't picking up any GPS signal, I'm guessing it needs a firmware fix.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
What app is that? Im using google maps/navigation and thats working?

That's GPS Test Plus but I think there is also a free version available on the market (just search for "GPStest"). Just to make sure we are on the same page here, I'm talking "real" GPS, not A-GPS.

Can you get a GPS position WITHOUT a simcard inserted or with google maps as well?

Edit:

If it isn't picking up any GPS signal, I'm guessing it needs a firmware fix.

I've tried every firmware version that has ever been released, GPS never worked on my device :(

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
That's GPS Test Plus but I think there is also a free version available on the market (just search for "GPStest"). Just to make sure we are on the same page here, I'm talking "real" GPS, not A-GPS.

Can you get a GPS position WITHOUT a simcard inserted or with google maps as well?

Edit:

I've tried every firmware version that has ever been released, GPS never worked on my device :(

Just run GPS Test and get the same as you! Hopefully they're still working on it and is why eprom is still waiting. I will see what i can discover on monday. Everything else has been very impressive.

Last edited:

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
Just run GPS Test and get the same as you!

Also a yellow dot and no Satellites? :( Makes me wonder if this device only supports A-GPS?

Here's a similar screen from my Witstech A81G tablet, this is how a successful GPS fix looks like:

$sat.jpg

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Just run GPS Test and get the same as you! Hopefully they're still working on it and is why eprom is still waiting. I will see what i can discover on monday. Everything else has been very impressive.

As far as the specs go....this device says to have built in GPS, which means true GPS receiver chip built in. I do not know if usa, canada or european satellites use different signals. I think that may play a part of wht GPS isn't working, but the more I think about this it doesn't make sense, if you consider how many chinese generic GPS, & car stereo GPS devices are on the market for places other than europe. Its probably firmware issue......I hope because the TRUE GPS is one of the reasons I purchased i600.

Here are the specs off of merimobiles and the specs say nothing about GPS it says "MAP, REAL TIME COMMUNICATIONS" I dont really understand what "REAL TIME COMMUNICATIONS" means, could possibly mean "INTERNET GPS" in real time. I refuse to go by any other specs than this because the china site have alot of other options listed that buyers are saying do not exist. For instance the manufacturer told me TV and front + rear cams were available for people who were only buying bulk orders of 1000 or more. I dont believe these options exist because I dont think one buyer will buy 1000 of these in 1 shot.

Product
Kinpad I600 7" Android 2.2 Flash 10.1, Capacitive 3G 800MHZ, Send SMS,MAKE/RECEIVE CALLS
Warranty
1 Year, click here for detailsCPU
Freescale IMX51 800MHz ARM Cortex A8
OS
Android 2.2 Froyo, Flash 10.1
Memory
512MB DDR2 Ram, 8GB Nandflash built in
Extend Memory up to 32GB via micro sd card

Screen
7" Capacitive Multi-touch
1024*600
Audio
Power Amplifier: CODOEC+Class DX2
3.5MM headphone jack
Built in Microphone
Supported Audio Formats: MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV
Video
Support MKV (H.264) RMVB/MPEG-4/FLV

Features and highlights
  • Android 2.2 Froyo
  • Built in 3G WCDMA UMTS/HSDPA (2100MHz), GSM/EDGE (850,900,1800,1900MHz)
  • Make phone Calls
  • Receive phone calls (use like a regular phone)
  • Sens SMS, Receive SMS
  • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (ability to make calls), file transfer,
  • Microphone support
  • Freescale IMX515 800MHz ARM Cortex A8
  • Gsensor
  • Light Sensor
  • Front Fascing camera
  • Standard 30-pin port (supported by many devices)
  • Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
  • Excellent Ebook reader
  • Internet browsing, HD Video, Lnline Music, Map, Real-time communications
  • Flash 10.1, access all flash websites and online flash games
  • 7" size perfect to bring with you anywhere
  • Slim body
  • 3.5mm audio jack
  • USB port
  • Built in Battery 3300mAh
Dimensions
197*126.5*13.8mm weight: 0.350kg
Camera
Front 0.3 MP
Battery
Built in Battery 3300mAh 5 hours
Package

Content
  • Kinpad I600
  • USB cable
  • Power charger

Last edited:

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
At least I now know the difference between GPS and Assisted GPS (A-GPS), GPS is true GPS and doesn't require any data connection, whereas A-GPS requires a data connection (so you need to be sure you’re on an appropriate mobile tariff that covers adequate data use).

It does appear that GPS chips have been able to handle GPS and/or A-GPS for a while now so it will be interesting to see what Merimobiles/ShowChina have to say about this.

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
I tested the kinpad gps with the wifi and sim enabled using the installed software and it all appears to be working (the little green satelite dish appears). I then installed the suggested gpstest software which did not work. Thinking it may be a software issue with the gps software I disconnected the the wifi and sim and retested. At this point all the previous software apps didn't work. Even a basic compass program i had installed, which just requires simple gps info (no maps, etc.) didn't work. This is my first adventure with Android so I could be doing something wrong.

This isn't a deal breaker but still a disappointment. Hopefully they provide a fix or at least clarify what "gps" means in regards to the Kinpad so we don't waste our time trying to figure it out.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I just put this GPS Test app on a device that definitely does NOT have GPS (this is the Wopad) and it looks like this:

$CIMG5048.JPG

As you can see, there is a RED dot and "GPS off". No surprise ;)

Our Kinpad on the other hand gives us a YELLOW dot, so I thinks it's save to assume that a GPS unit IS on board, it "just" won't find any satellites.

Since I am not the only one having this problem, I can assume that it's NOT just a hardware defect on my device.

So, MAYBE it's just a question of a firmware fix after all?

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
At least I now know the difference between GPS and Assisted GPS (A-GPS), GPS is true GPS and doesn't require any data connection, whereas A-GPS requires a data connection (so you need to be sure you’re on an appropriate mobile tariff that covers adequate data use).

It does appear that GPS chips have been able to handle GPS and/or A-GPS for a while now so it will be interesting to see what Merimobiles/ShowChina have to say about this.

Thanks for posting the differences. I have some clairity on that subject now. Another question is how much data A-GPS uses. If indeed the i600 uses A-GPS those of us end users who have a limited amount of data per-month may need to be careful not to use the A-GPS feature too much as it could be a data hog.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I can't even think of anything useful that can be done with A-GPS ONLY? As far as I know A-GPS is just a VERY ROUGH positioning bei triangulation of cell phone towers, never ever precise enough to be used for navigation. It is only supposed to ASSIST the real GPS to find the satellites a little faster.

But I still think the kinpad HAS GPS bulit in, it's just not working with the firmware right now.

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
I can't even think of anything useful that can be done with A-GPS ONLY? As far as I know A-GPS is just a VERY ROUGH positioning bei triangulation of cell phone towers, never ever precise enough to be used for navigation. It is only supposed to ASSIST the real GPS to find the satellites a little faster.

But I still think the kinpad HAS GPS bulit in, it's just not working with the firmware right now.

I installed IGO and Copilot on my Kinpad. The GPS worked with IGO and found my location. I have not tried it with Copilot yet. So I believe the GPS is functional you just need software app to utilize it.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I installed IGO and Copilot on my Kinpad. The GPS worked with IGO and found my location. I have not tried it with Copilot yet. So I believe the GPS is functional you just need software app to utilize it.

WOW! Which firmwareversion do you have on your device? I only tested it with Copilot and it didn't work :-(

Do you get a satellite fix with google maps as well? I can only get my postion with google maps via wifi.

Edit: And what about this GPS Test app? Is that showing satellites for you as well?

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Ideally I (and plenty of others) want it to work with Google Maps/Navigation. I see there's plenty of people complaining that GPS was working on Android 2.1 but now intermittent or not working on 2.2. I've tried a couple of workarounds but no joy.