Kinpad I600 7" Capacitive, Phone 3G GPS Wifi HDMI 2.2

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Just to let you know that I was with some people today who were very impressed with the speed of my Droid and couldn't believe the screen quality!

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I tried making contact with the Chinese re: GPS but no joy I'm afraid. Maybe Eprom can get a response from Merimobiles?

Here is a C&P form Merimobles very fast response from these guys and they have good communication. Paypal is also a plus. You may pay a little more at Merimobiles than factory direct, but in my opinion buying it this way is safest. Thank you Merimobiles.

In fact after questioning, there are mixed answers on this GPS subject.

Live Chat Answer:

Please wait for the next available representative…

Eprom101: Wanted to know if Order#: xxxx ships on the 4th, And does the kinpad i600 have 'true gps' or a-gps?

There is 1 person in queue ahead of you. Thank you for your patience.
Admin: One moment please
Admin: gps chip in the device
Admin: we have yours in hand
Admin: it will ship no later than the 4th

Website Review answer:

star5.gif
GPS
March 2, 2011Reviewer: eprom101 from United States Does the kinpad i600 have "true GPS" built in or does it use A-GPS.

ANSWER:
A-GPS, thanks

Was this review helpful to you?

Email Answer:
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gif

It has its own GPS chip inside.
Oliver

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Volusion Live Chat - when you were offline

Does the kinpad i600 have "true GPS" built in or does it use A-GPS?

================================================================
Powered by Volusion

Last edited:

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
It's good to see that there are updates being pushed out. Means someone is still developing for the Kinpad. Now if they would only enable overclocking.

Changing the subject.

Has anyone tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab rubber shell? I'm wondering if they would fit.

It seems to me that popularity is increasing extremely fast for the 7" slate or tablets which ever you want to call it, and soon their will be so many accessories for these devices the accessories will be a dime a dozen for a magnitude of different models. As far as I know....... I think any generic universal 7" shell will work. Keep into consideration the exterior buttons and connection points before you buy.

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
It has its own GPS chip inside.
Oliver

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Volusion Live Chat - when you were offline

Does the kinpad i600 have "true GPS" built in or does it use A-GPS?

================================================================
Powered by Volusion

I'm a bit confused. If it has its own GPS chip why is it A-GPS?

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I'm a bit confused. If it has its own GPS chip why is it A-GPS?

Yeap......I think alot of people here are confused Merimobiles tech support was correct to say built in chip and A-GPS .:confused::confused::confused::confused: Alot of people here, including me have had a misconception on the purpose of the "A-GPS CHIP" the tablet uses satellites to triangulate "not cell towers" your position while it also uses the internet to speed up the satellites projected path data download process and another reason is mobile devices low power and lack of a proper GPS antenna. Read through this post and it will clear things up.

AGPS – not a real GPS? Who said that?

pixel

how-gps-works.jpg

GPS vs AGPS
The Global Positioning System or GPS was a technology developed by the military to provide an edge in the battlefield. The GPS device receives information from any four of the 32 satellites that orbit the earth. It then calculates the distances from the satellites and derives its location by trilateration. Assisted GPS or AGPS is another type of GPS that relies on an assistance server, aside from the satellites. The assistance server provides additional information to the device that can aid it in the calculation of the location. This can be very helpful when the signal from the satellite is pretty weak.
GPS receivers have been around a lot longer than AGPS and standalone GPS navigation devices are being used in planes, boats, and most recently in cars. AGPS are common on mobile phones where the data link is already in place. The information from the assistance server can allow the device to provide the correct location where a standalone GPS receiver would otherwise no work. AGPS is also able to arrive to a fix much faster compared to GPS, especially the first time the device is booted. These desirable features make AGPS somewhat superior to GPS in terms of performance.

The data link required by AGPS can result in extra charges to your mobile phone if you do not have an unlimited data plan. These charges can vary depending on the pricing structure that the mobile phone company follows as some charge based on the amount of data while others charge based on the length of time that it is connected. Another problem with AGPS is the coverage of the mobile phone company. Although some AGPS receivers are capable of functioning as a GPS receiver, most are unable and would stop functioning once you go beyond the coverage area. GPS receivers are not restricted to the range of cellular sites and you can get a fix just about anywhere on the surface of the earth.
Summary:
1. GPS relies on the satellites alone to calculate its position while AGPS relies on both the satellites and an assistance server
2. AGPS receivers are mostly equipped on mobile phones while most standalone devices have GPS
3. AGPS can be more reliable than GPS in certain situations
4. AGPS can be faster in calculating the actual location than GPS
5. GPS is generally free while AGPS can incur additional charges
6. Some AGPS devices are capable of working as stand-alone GPS receivers once they go beyond network coverage

Hopefully this clears up the misconception of AGPS, and dismiss the myth that a AGPS is not a real GPS.

Last edited:

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
It's good to see that there are updates being pushed out. Means someone is still developing for the Kinpad. Now if they would only enable overclocking.

Changing the subject.

Has anyone tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab rubber shell? I'm wondering if they would fit.

I keep meaning to actually measure my kinpad and see who that stacks up against protective casings for Galaxy Tab. As it is now it fits nice and snugly in my coat pocket but what will I do once the weather starts getting warmer!

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
Nice post Eprom, hopefully that clears up the GPS vs A-GPS question so thanks very much for that.

So it appears that Mr Dasher is the only person who has GPS functioning on their kinpad. Neither ColonelZap nor myself have it working with IGS or CoPilot. Xaueious suggested we flash system.img but I have to admit I'm not keen on doing this, or is this pretty much risk free and easy to do?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

barisg

Mar 3, 2011
I have asked several questions to the manufacturer (Show China) and get honest responses. Please find the summary below;

1. Manufacturer use DHL for the shipment,
2. The product has no brand name in the front and in the back,
3. It has no back camera and the resolution of the front camera is 2 Mpixel. However on the specs page it is listed as 0.3/2 Mpixel.
4. It has no DVB-T Chip onboard, despite the specs on the manufacturers web page (listed as optional),
5. It has GPS receiver but it could just use maps.google.com for positionning and cannot provide any navigation function (It is A-GPS)
6. Factory price is 380$, AliExpress price is 402$ and the samples will be ready by March 8th.
7. ShowChina does not call the product as Kinpad!

Last edited:

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
Nice post Eprom, hopefully that clears up the GPS vs A-GPS question so thanks very much for that.

So it appears that Mr Dasher is the only person who has GPS functioning on their kinpad. Neither ColonelZap nor myself have it working with IGS or CoPilot. Xaueious suggested we flash system.img but I have to admit I'm not keen on doing this, or is this pretty much risk free and easy to do?

Any other suggestions?

I'm appologize for the confusion but I'm pretty sure that my GPS is only working as A-GPS because it's not functional when Wifi / 3g data is disabled. I'm able to use the Gooogle map apps but GPStest software doesn't work even with Wifi/3G enabled. I'm currently using the last ROM download.

barisg

Mar 3, 2011
I wonder about the video recording and HD video play functionalities. Also, can someone make a comment about the front cam's quality or even post a picture taken from that cam?

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I'm appologize for the confusion but I'm pretty sure that my GPS is only working as A-GPS because it's not functional when Wifi / 3g data is disabled. I'm able to use the Gooogle map apps but GPStest software doesn't work even with Wifi/3G enabled. I'm currently using the last ROM download.

I am unable to test AGPS currently as I have not received my unit yet. But from my understanding AGPS uses satellites but also connects to an internet based navigation server to receive your postion because the signal strength is weak in mobile devices because of the compact design. "no exterior GPS antenna" This leads me to believe that the software installed or app installed would need to be AGPS compatible.

Last edited:

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011

Any other suggestions?

If you go to this website Welcome to Eavoo! <---- click here..... has full installation instructions. It really doesn't look difficult... rather easy as far as the installation instructions read.

I have also added a PDF file for those who would like to save a hard copy. :cool:

Attachments

• $i600 upgrade.pdf
    409 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
I wonder about the video recording and HD video play functionalities. Also, can someone make a comment about the front cam's quality or even post a picture taken from that cam?

I think the camera is only 0.3MP but will check tomorrow and post picture (have to leave now), HD video play is impressive (no built-in HDMI though).

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
It would be very helpful if someone would download all of the firmware revisions, verify the files and upload them. Someone may need the older updates at a later time. I would do this but I dont know which link or which files.