Kinpad I600 7" Capacitive, Phone 3G GPS Wifi HDMI 2.2

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Is this "flashing", if so I did this on Tuesday and made no difference to GPS?

Probably needs AGPS compatibile application. As GPS & AGPS communications are different. GPS apps do not look for data server. AGPS apps look for data server. Has anyone tried DRoute Im unsure if it will work but its worth a try.

From what Ive learned these last couple of days about the GPS on this unit,.. I will not be using this feature very much. Im going to stick with my car GPS navigation. There are some promising apps being developed for 7" devices but most have been developed for cell phones currently and have small screen resolution. This gps unit is not even close to a replacement for my car navigation.

Last edited:

barisg

Mar 3, 2011
I am unable to test AGPS currently as I have not received my unit yet. But from my understanding AGPS uses satellites but also connects to an internet based navigation server to receive your postion because the signal strength is weak in mobile devices because of the compact design. "no exterior GPS antenna" This leads me to believe that the software installed or app installed would need to be AGPS compatible.

No. The manufacturer confirmed that the device does not have any GPS antenna and related source codes in the software due to copyright issues. The system has to use Wi-Fi or 3G for internet connection and has to connect to google maps for the positioning function. This device does not support navigation function.

Is this "flashing", if so I did this on Tuesday and made no difference to GPS?

It does not make any difference as this device does not have GPS antenna.

I think the camera is only 0.3MP but will check tomorrow and post picture (have to leave now), HD video play is impressive (no built-in HDMI though).

1. Did you try with 720p or 1080p?
2. Does it play MKV with subtitles?
3. Did you try to connect the device to your LCD Tv by 30 pin to HDMI out? If yes, can you comment about the interface on the Tv screen and post any picture?

Last edited:

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
I think the camera is 1.3Mp as the image size is 1600 x 1200, 96 dpi with a Bit Depth of 24?

Quick video of my back garden is 9MB (much better than I was expecting) where should I upload it to?

Played ‘star trek trailer 3 HD 720p’ on YouTube which was impressive (with sound).

Downloaded Aliens DivxHD Preview file from Movieberry.com which was very impressive (plus it had sound).

Downloaded Terminator 2 Preview in full 1080p (H.264) and as the Kinpad is only 1024 X 600 I wasn’t expecting it to be much better than DivxHD, but the image quality was so stunning it blew my socks off - only issue was no sound! Had the same problem on my PC which was down to an AC3 codec.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this sound issue with Android 2.2?

Didn’t try subtitles and don’t have a 30 pin to HDMI cable – almost bought a Malaka ZPad Dock but not sure if this is up to the job. Any suggestions?

Movieberry looks GREAT but they appear to be getting some bad press re: billing.

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
No. The manufacturer confirmed that the device does not have any GPS antenna and related source codes in the software due to copyright issues. The system has to use Wi-Fi or 3G for internet connection and has to connect to google maps for the positioning function. This device does not support navigation function.

Thats the excuse they always use when they are lying or when they cant answer your question correctly ...........lol

They said the same thing to me about a completely different subject. "copyright issues" T-mobile users stuck at "edge" speeds no support for 1700Mhz uplink sync. So if you want 3G speeds AT&T is the only option. So AT&T is my first choice....It would be interesting to hear some input on what T-mobile speeds look like on the kinpad. Also would be nice to see that 1700Mhz on one of the future firmware updates.

Looks like the camera supports 2MP here are the release notes from the latest firmware.

"Added Setting function for camera , and add the new feature to support ¡°2 million pixels, 1280X1024, 800X600, 640X480¡±"

Last edited:

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
I just noticed that Merimobiles has delayed shipping the of the kinpad until March 15th. What's up with that? They've been promising to ship since Christmas. Does any one have the inside scoop on this?

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I just noticed that Merimobiles has delayed shipping the of the kinpad until March 15th. What's up with that? They've been promising to ship since Christmas. Does any one have the inside scoop on this?

I was told 3-2 & today 3-4 by Phillip @ merimobiles that without a doubt that the kinpad I ordered was physically in their hands will be shipped no later than the 4th of March but he also told me it has built in GPS. Although they conveniently could not give me a tracking number when I contacted them through live chat today. The support person said he would get me a tracking number but of course I received no tracking number through the merimobiles website and no reply email. I will update you guys on merimobiles customer service performance when I find out more about if they truly sent it , which will probably be monday morning before I can get any information. ARRHHH! It may be due to the Chinese factory can only produce smaller amounts of product per month, so they can only handle X amount of orders so they are shipping on first come first served basis. Has anyone here successfully ordered a kinpad through merimobiles?

Live Chat Answer:

Please wait for the next available representative…

Eprom101: Wanted to know if Order#: xxxx ships on the 4th, And does the kinpad i600 have 'true gps' or a-gps?

There is 1 person in queue ahead of you. Thank you for your patience.
Admin: One moment please
Admin: gps chip in the device
Admin: we have yours in hand
Admin: it will ship no later than the 4th

Last edited:

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
I had originally ordered a kinpad from Merimobiles but with the delays i decided to switch it to a Zpad. I eventually did buy a kinpad from ShowChina.

Getting the Zpad was an adventure. To make a very long story short they had screwed up my order and didn't ship the Zpad with 3g. After a lot of back and forth i eventually got the Zpad with 3g . From my experience Merimobiles, if anything, is extremely over-extended and disorganized but as far as other Chinese suppliers they'll one of the best. From what i've seen around the web the delays are probably beyond their control.

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
I had originally ordered a kinpad from Merimobiles but with the delays i decided to switch it to a Zpad. I eventually did buy a kinpad from ShowChina.

Getting the Zpad was an adventure. To make a very long story short they had screwed up my order and didn't ship the Zpad with 3g. After a lot of back and forth i eventually got the Zpad with 3g . From my experience Merimobiles, if anything, is extremely over-extended and disorganized but as far as other Chinese suppliers they'll one of the best. From what i've seen around the web the delays are probably beyond their control.

Ill bet it was an adventure.......this isnt my first rodeo with Chinese dealers. Ive been down this raod before with chinavasion it eventually was worked out after waiting what seemed like forever. I also ordered a ceton infiniTV 4 that was a waiting game . I hope the others buying from merimobles have a faster delivery time. So far other than the tracking number merimoibles have answered all of my questions pretty fast......now if they speed up the ordering process I would give them 100% feedback. Im planning of buying a HD camera from them next if all works out with my kinpad purchase.

Last edited:

Airvan

Mar 5, 2011
Hi there!

Heiko here from Frankfurt, Germany!
I ordered a i600 from ShowChina in the middle of December. After paying with Wester Union, ShowChina told me, to send it on the 8th January...
Finally I got it in the first week of February, shipped by DHL and, unfortunately, to a wrong address.

After charging the tablet for the first time I started the device.
The capatitiv touchscreen is amazing with high contrast and clear colors.

During my review I found some strange issues, please let me explain:

1. Sometimes, when I connect the Tablet with the origin USB-cable, the Computer and the Tablet crashes and were powered off immediately! I have to remove the power cable and the battery of my notebook to be able to power it on! In addition I got a data loss on both devices. After restarting the Tablet, all settings were lost, it looks like a factory reset.
  2. The 30 pin plug has two latches with should snap-in to secure a save connection between Tablet and USB-port of the PC/battery charger, but the right pin don't! Plase see attached photo. This problem could create a short circuit!
  3. After 8 hours of testing, I had to charge the battery of the device. After approx. 2 hours, the display told me, that the charging process has been finished! I powered on the device and I was back on my home screen => perfect! I powered off the device. After 10 minutes I wanted to start the tablet again, but nothing happens. The first attempts only showed the "Welcome"-Screen combined with the vibration shake. After the 3rd attempt nothing more happens, the tablet is death! I tried to use the reset-button and the "press and hold Volume + and Power-button" without any success. I tried to reconnect to USB => first attempt without success, second attempt the PC crashes like I mentioned in point 1! As well a further charging brought no success
  4. I removed the USB-cable out of the connector and I was able to smell Lithium-ion battery!!! It looks like my device has a dangerous battery problem! I have a lot experience with LiIon- and LiPo-batteries and it can be life-endangering if such a battery explode!
  5. In addition I couldn't find the ear plugs and the HDMI-Cable in the package.
And now I am waiting for a new device...
ShowChina told me, that they will have new tablet in stock not before the 20th March!
I'm really, really angry, guys :(

Best regards
Heiko

Attachments

• $i600.jpg
    $i600.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 296

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Have you tried updating the firmware using the .swan supplied on the website ? Or is it not able to do this. Im not an Android tech but it sounds to me like corrupted OS. Could be a problem with your PC's usb voltage check it with a voltage meter.

Last edited:

Airvan

Mar 5, 2011
Hi Epron!

Yes, I have the actual firmware update file on my micro sd-card, but unfortunately the tablet is death. There's no vibration shake or any sign of life :(
All this connected with the power socket...

eprom101

Feb 15, 2011
Arh!.....yeah thats not good......Hey It might work good as a door stop! I wouldnt worry its under 1yr warranty just ship it back and make sure you insure the package and get the best tracking and fast delivery you can get because you are in for a wait and be ready for some confusion. I could be wrong but when I sent an item back to china it was a headache.

Airvan

Mar 5, 2011
Hi!

I could send it back to ShowChina but I already saved confidential data on the flash drive of the tablet, like access to my mail files, twitter etc...
In addition I don't know how destroyed the tablet is. Maybe they only have to replace the battery and they get access to all of my files :(
In this way...

Best regards
Heiko

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
No GPS - what a disappointment, but something I can live with.

Another disappointment is the supplied charger - cheap and nasty, which is a shame as I am pleased (not to mentioned surprised) at the very good build quality of the table itself. Have tried a number of alternative chargers - the first one ($3) burnt out after around 40 minutes. The second one (Veho - $6) looks very nice, appears to be of good quality but simply didn't work. Now looking at more upmarket chargers around $20.