Le Pan II upgrade

prorodeolover

Jan 27, 2012
I am new to this forum and I have been trying to find a Thread on how you upgrade the Le Pan II from 3.2 to 4.0 and I can't find any. Has anybody done it? How did you do it and did you see a change in the tablet?

Thank you

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There is no upgrade to 4.0 for Le Pan (or pretty much any other device) at the moment. Only a few new devices shipping with 4.0 have it and a few premier devices scheduled to get updates in the next couple of months.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
The LePan 2 is said to be scheduled for a ICS update but there have been no dates given. So if you have one just keep checking in Settings somewhere to see if/when it is available.

Quote from a thread in the AdroidForums, I guess this is where I heard it.
http://androidforums.com/lepan-2/482843-lepan-2-le-pan-tc978.html

Le Pan II is supposed to get ICS sometime in March. I have had one for about 2 weeks now after having a Le Pan TC970 for about a month before that. I really loved the 970 but it tended to freeze and have to be reset at least once a day and the fact that no upgrade was possible I opted to get the Le Pan II for 262.00 at Amazon. I think I will be happy with this one for a long while. All the little bugaboos people have been griping about with the 970 seem to be solved with the II with the possible exception of The Promised HDMI output. It says it is possible with a 30 pin adaptor but they do not have one available. THere has been a firmware update for the II already and HDMI out has been eliminated in settings options. I don't really care because I probably won't use that feature anyway.

There were no links given in the post so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

prorodeolover

Jan 27, 2012
If what you say is true, than isn't this false advertisement because on the Le Pan web site when you click on Le Pan II the very last description of the tablet says Upgradability and it tells you that it is upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and that is why I bought this one rather than the TC970. My tablet should ship to me around February 6th, is there a way to find out if mine was upgraded? I would like to know if other people bought the LePan II for this reason as well?
[h=1][/h]

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
They are promising it will be upgraded. But the upgrade is not available yet. The Le Pan II is a great tablet and I love mine. You will find however Le Pan tends to promise more than they are able to deliver sometimes. Example HDMI output is advertised as possible through a 30 pin adaptor but they don't have an adaptor available. Go figure. Le Pan is a work in progress and that is part of the appeal to those of us that like to tinker.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
If what you say is true, than isn't this false advertisement because on the Le Pan web site when you click on Le Pan II the very last description of the tablet says Upgradability and it tells you that it is upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and that is why I bought this one rather than the TC970. My tablet should ship to me around February 6th, is there a way to find out if mine was upgraded? I would like to know if other people bought the LePan II for this reason as well?

If you reread what you said their sight says, it says the tablet is upgradeable to, not that it will be shipped with. So far as I know the only LePan confirmed as being shipped with ICS is the LePan3.
It only states that the tablet is upgradeable to ICS, and as I said, they say that an upgrade to ICS is in the works so you just need to be patient. I'd like to see a ICS OTA update on my Vizio 1008 but I doubt it will ever happen, and if it doesn't it is fine because it does everything I need it to do as it is.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
They are promising it will be upgraded. But the upgrade is not available yet. The Le Pan II is a great tablet and I love mine. You will find however Le Pan tends to promise more than they are able to deliver sometimes. Example HDMI output is advertised as possible through a 30 pin adaptor but they don't have an adaptor available. Go figure. Le Pan is a work in progress and that is part of the appeal to those of us that like to tinker.
That's the way I see it too.

I get the impression that Matsunichi (the real manufacturer of the tablets; 'Le Pan' being just a trade name with appeal to North American markets, imo), they are probably a smaller company. And I imagine their engineering department would correspondingly be small.

Look at the pace of new device releases and you can see they are harried, the people doing the work are under pressure to prepare and support the new, upcoming products. And the currently selling, excellent product which the TC970 is, gets dropped in priority to barely some bug fixes and small updates.

Changelogs for the firmware revisions are not even provided - how silly is that? You have no idea what the new firmware version offers, compared to your current version. Making a decision of going thru the painful, destructive process (all user apps and settings blown to bit heaven, gone, kaput) is difficult, if you don't know even what you would gain by updating.

That's pretty Mickey Mouse. :p

Matsunichi is also trying to hold back users from getting admin, root level access to the devices they paid full price for. Imagine the uproar if Microsoft ever tried pulling a similar stunt!

The upgrading of the LPII to ICS will come, who knows when, and it should be a large package. Wonder if it wouldn't be better to offer it as a downloadable package, which people could get and then place in their SD cards, to safely start the process when the file is complete and at hand.

The current experience with failed updates for LPII owners doesn't bode well - Matsunichi doesn't seem to have the required server and bandwidth to provide the OTA updates as they should.

iamtribble

Dec 8, 2011
I have often wondered why they chose to name it Le Pan versus Le Pad. If you search Le Pan, you get results for frying pans, lol.

LePan_Fan

Jan 12, 2012
I have often wondered why they chose to name it Le Pan versus Le Pad. If you search Le Pan, you get results for frying pans, lol.

I've wondered about the name also. I've read reviews where the person reviewing the Le Pan has stated that it's a new PC tablet from France!

jmmoran

May 4, 2012
Any word on the ICS update for the Le Pan II? My company just got one and I am in the dark on how to upgrade.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
They truly are seriously in the final stages of development. They have LPIIs running ICS in the factory. It is in the final stages of testing and debugging. I am sure it will only be a few more weeks. I have a contact in the company.