NEED HELP - Hope I didn't just brick a new 7015A

eruby

May 17, 2011
Ok let me start by saying I am brand new to this. I started reading this forum before I received my 7015 in the mail. I decided to root it and load Tipster's ROM 5.19.11_HCV13.0_B20FHD. I thought I followed the instructions. I loaded ClockWorkMod Recovery. I Backed up my current settings. I downloaded Tipster's ROM. I unzipped it, copied the update.zip to my SD card. Loaded the update.zip from SD. When I rebooted, all I get is the white COBY logo. Nothing else. I thought no big deal, I'll just restore my backup. When I go to restore, I'm getting a MD5 mismatch. In the looking I did, it appears this is some sort of check sum to verify that the file was not changed or corrupted. Now I can't do anything. I can't even turn off my tablet. Right now I have 2 options: 1) regular boot to the white COBY logo screen and 2) boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery.

While I thought this would be a great mod, I'm now thinking if I can just get my tablet working again, I'll be happy. Can anyone help me? Please. Thanks.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Ok let me start by saying I am brand new to this. I started reading this forum before I received my 7015 in the mail. I decided to root it and load Tipster's ROM 5.19.11_HCV13.0_B20FHD. I thought I followed the instructions. I loaded ClockWorkMod Recovery. I Backed up my current settings. I downloaded Tipster's ROM. I unzipped it, copied the update.zip to my SD card. Loaded the update.zip from SD. When I rebooted, all I get is the white COBY logo. Nothing else. I thought no big deal, I'll just restore my backup. When I go to restore, I'm getting a MD5 mismatch. In the looking I did, it appears this is some sort of check sum to verify that the file was not changed or corrupted. Now I can't do anything. I can't even turn off my tablet. Right now I have 2 options: 1) regular boot to the white COBY logo screen and 2) boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery.

While I thought this would be a great mod, I'm now thinking if I can just get my tablet working again, I'll be happy. Can anyone help me? Please. Thanks.

First, don't panic it is hard to brick these. You probably just didn't wait for the new ROM to load. It takes quite awhile the first time. It will stay on the Coby screen for some time. Hopefully you didn't mess anything up by trying to recover in the middle of an update. Let it sit on the Coby screen for at least several minutes and see what happens.

eruby

May 17, 2011
Already did this. Sat on the Coby screen until the battery died. The update seemed to work. It had a faint picture of a droid popping out of a box. The load bar went across the screen and said complete. I was able to reboot in ClockWorkMod. Then nothing. Tried to load it again. Same result. I sure hope you are right that this is fixable. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Apr 28, 2011
First, don't panic it is hard to brick these. You probably just didn't wait for the new ROM to load. It takes quite awhile the first time. It will stay on the Coby screen for some time. Hopefully you didn't mess anything up by trying to recover in the middle of an update. Let it sit on the Coby screen for at least several minutes and see what happens.

popeye is right, It took mine 5+ minutes to load the first time.
If you have no other option, try this:
get the new HC V15.0-B22, put it on the sdcard, and install like the instructions say. And be sure to wait once applied until the homescreen loads and runs.
I am currently running it and I believe it is much faster than V13.0-B20.
Hopefully this helps.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Already did this. Sat on the Coby screen until the battery died. The update seemed to work. It had a faint picture of a droid popping out of a box. The load bar went across the screen and said complete. I was able to reboot in ClockWorkMod. Then nothing. Tried to load it again. Same result. I sure hope you are right that this is fixable. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

You should stay plugged in whenever updating. Try what chocolatetouch says. Again, it ain't dead so don't panic and start doing random stuff.

Apr 28, 2011
You should stay plugged in whenever updating. Try what chocolatetouch says. Again, it ain't dead so don't panic and start doing random stuff.

Random stuff= good idea. Just make sure not to do something that would ruin the tablet for good (like throwing it at a wall or something stupid like that). I would do a complete wipe of data, and whatever it says to do when installing HC for the first time. Since you have nothing important on there in the first place (since you were installing HC you had to wipe data).
Just try a few things and if they dont work, keep trying.

eruby

May 17, 2011
OK so in downloading the HoneyComb COBY OS 2.1a-UPDATE1-TC21-HCV15.0 B22P For 7015/7015A | 6.06.11 I noticed it's only 7.4M verses the B20 was 131M. This seems to be a patch. I have not loaded it yet. Think that's what I need to do?

I did try some random stuff and, though nothing worked, I'm worried I going deeper into issues.

eruby

May 17, 2011
I'm not even able to wipe data/ factory reset. When I try to do this, I'm getting an error E: can't mount /dev/block/mtdblock5. Everything I try is giving me some sort of error. Been working hours on this. And yes, have thought about throwig this against the wall but I am learning some stuff as we go so that's a good thing, right?

So if I do try to follow the instructions in loading HC for the 1st time, I guess I need to go to B20 as B22 is just patches? As info., I actually thought maybe the B20 I downloaded on 5/31 got corrupted so yesterday I downloaded it again. It appeared to load. I rebooted and got the Coby screen. That's when I left it on that screen for several hours - until a fully charged battery died. I have not done anything since.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2011
I'm not even able to wipe data/ factory reset. When I try to do this, I'm getting an error E: can't mount /dev/block/mtdblock5. Everything I try is giving me some sort of error. Been working hours on this. And yes, have thought about throwig this against the wall but I am learning some stuff as we go so that's a good thing, right?

I do not suggest throwing against a wall. Try to install the Full version, The patch works between HC, and you may not have HC for some reason fully installed, so it realizes that it isnt there and wont work. Try the Full, Extreme, or Lite (your preference) and if that doesnt work, I am not sure what to do.

sercero

May 20, 2011
Another option is to load update.zip from the coby website in your sd card.

Then you can apply it in order to get back to stock. From there you could try again.

Good luck

eruby

May 17, 2011
Another option is to load update.zip from the coby website in your sd card.

Then you can apply it in order to get back to stock. From there you could try again.

Good luck

Tried that as well. No luck.