Need help with my Sylvania Mini Tablet

thomasmc

Aug 25, 2011
Okay, I got the apps back on there. (it was a different method for me but the info helped. My tablet has 2.2 on it) but now I cant add any apps to the app home screen. I can add widgits but no apps. I can add apps to the app drawer though.

That's one of the limitation of the stock launcher. You can only add widgets to the home screen, and apps to the app drawers. You can't add anything to the Search screen.

I switched to Go LauncherEX, which is MUCH more configurable, and easy to install. It just replaces the the stock launcher. After installation, you will get a window popup when you tap the Home button, asking whether you want to use Go or Infotmic. You can select either, but if you check the "always use" box first, then you won't be bothered with that popup in the future.

MannyGamazo

Aug 25, 2011
I do like Go Launcher EX but I can't change the orientation on it. When I go to settings, I have to flip the tablet upsided down...

thomasmc

Aug 25, 2011
I do like Go Launcher EX but I can't change the orientation on it. When I go to settings, I have to flip the tablet upsided down...

You just need to change a setting. When you are at the home screen, tap on the menu icon in the bar, then select Preferences at the bottom of the screen. Tap Operation Settings, then tap Screen Rotation to enable Auto rotation.

While you're there, check out the other options, this launcher is very configurable.

MannyGamazo

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, I figured it out. I edited the post in quick edit but it didn't update.

Thank you so much to all for all of the info.

Now my only gripe is getting the original angry birds and the facebook app onto my tablet. (I have searched endlessly for the facebook app and I can't find the original one!!!)

Also, I can only donwload apps from the market app, not if I go to the market from my web browser right? (Right now, if I try downloading apps from the market through my web browser, they are queued to go to my LG Optimus.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Oh, I didn't think I had to say this, but you should only be buying switching power supplies, not linear which are obsolete.
Even this low end tablet comes standard with a switching power supply, but I imagine that Fry's and Radio shack still sell the obsolete linear type.

Linear power suppliers have an iron core transformer, and thus are rather heavy, a switching power isn't heavy at all.

A switching power supply should never get hot, maybe slightly warm, but definitely not hot..

thomasmc

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, I figured it out. I edited the post in quick edit but it didn't update.

Thank you so much to all for all of the info.

Now my only gripe is getting the original angry birds and the facebook app onto my tablet.

Have you tried installing the Amazon Appstore? just google it, and go to the page, then put your email address in the form. They'll send you a link to download/install their app.
I know they have angry birds, don't know about facebook.

Amazon gives a different paid app for free every day. Most are games, but also some utils. I've found a few that I like.

MannyGamazo

Aug 25, 2011
Oh, I didn't think I had to say this, but you should only be buying switching power supplies, not linear which are obsolete.
Even this low end tablet comes standard with a switching power supply, but I imagine that Fry's and Radio shack still sell the obsolete linear type.

Linear power suppliers have an iron core transformer, and thus are rather heavy, a switching power isn't heavy at all.

A switching power supply should never get hot, maybe slightly warm, but definitely not hot..

Okay, I have no idea how to tell the difference between the two power supplies nor did I know that there were two different ones. How can I tell if my is a switching power supply? Mine has the ability to switch voltages and has 6 power tips. The tips need to be inserted in certain directions depending on the device.

I'm not electric savvy but as far I know, that what a switching power means to me.

thomasmc

Aug 25, 2011
Okay, I have no idea how to tell the difference between the two power supplies nor did I know that there were two different ones. How can I tell if my is a switching power supply? Mine has the ability to switch voltages and has 6 power tips. The tips need to be inserted in certain directions depending on the device.

I'm not electric savvy but as far I know, that what a switching power means to me.

As john_tartar said, an old time power supply uses an iron core transformer, and is quite heavy. That's why people called them "bricks". The newer switching supplies just use an electronic circuit, and are very light. You can also identify which it is by looking at the tag on the device. If it shows a single input voltage like "Input 110v 60hz" then it is the old type. If it gives a range like: "input 110-250v~50/60Hz" then it is the newer switching type. You can use the newer type overseas with just a simple plug adapter. The old type you have to bring along a transformer to change the voltage down to 110.

MannyGamazo

Aug 25, 2011
Okay, I'm having trouble finding where the default orientaion settings are (I used Go Launcher for abit and then switched to LauncherPro. I must say I like Pro better)

I can find the option in my launcher but not the default location where I can change the option. How do I get there?

MannyGamazo

Aug 25, 2011
When you tap on the Home icon in the top bar, it should ask which you want to use. You can check 'always use" then select the one you want.I don't think there is a place in settings to do that.I believe there is an app called Home Switcher or some such, but I didn't need it.[URL]http://chomp.com/q/search?q=launcher+switcher&platform=android&price=free&category=[/URL]
No, it still doesn't work. I have it activated in LauncherPro. It says I need to activate it somewhere else. I'll check out home switch though.