New APPs that we need - is ASUS listening?

donmcdougall

Sep 4, 2011
1. The ability to move an app from table memory to storage
2. A longer cord for the charger That is it for me.:cool:

Magani

Aug 31, 2011

I agree with #1 but there's nothing one can do but wait for ASUS to get their act together.

However, there is something that can be done about #2 (it bugged me as well!). Race down to your local computer store and buy a USB 3.0 extension lead. Plug one end into the wall wart and the other into the existing power lead. I did this 2 days ago and it solved my frustrations of pulling the lead out every time I tried to move the TF.

NB: It MUST be USB 3; USB 2 won't cut it!.

Cheers,
Magani

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010

#1 is really not necessary when using Android Honeycomb (as opposed to the earlier non-tablet versions of android Froyo 2.2 and Gingerbread 2.3 which used Apps to SD) as the entire tablet internal memory is available for app storage. Seriously, 16 to 32 GB of internal tablet memory should be plenty for all your apps. Data, docs, and multimedia can still be stored on microSD (or SD and FAT32 USB Flash or HDD storage if you are using the keyboard dock). Re #2 - A USB 3.0 extension cable can be used to extend the charger cable as noted above.

Sent from my SPH-P100

donmcdougall

Sep 4, 2011
It does not take a lot ofapps to fill up 1GB. I find myself managing the programs that I have to keep 1/2 or more of my memory avalable

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It does not take a lot ofapps to fill up 1GB. I find myself managing the programs that I have to keep 1/2 or more of my memory avalable

Not sure why you are referencing 1GB - as I stated above, the Transformer automatically uses all of its internal memory (not just RAM) for app storage, so you have either 16 or 32GB (depending on which model you have) available for your apps. It works better than apps2sd on Froyo and Gingerbread phones because you don't even have to think about it.

Ironhide

Aug 8, 2011
Installed apps don't affect available memory. They affect storage. Those are 2 different beasts.
The only way installed apps are going to affect available memory is if they are persistant and run all the time. And if you have so much installed and running that it eats up all available RAM on your tablet, may I suggest that a tablet is not the device you are needing. You seem to need a real notebook or even desktop computer.

boeing777

Aug 22, 2011
I was just in a store in HK looking at the tf. The guy seemed to have no ****ing clue as he didnt even know if there was a mic on it, but he did say I would need to upgrade the ram. Is this true? Maybe he thinks you only have 1GB to store apps like above?
Thanks
B777

Fusioncept

Jul 24, 2011
You don't need to upgrade the RAM. 1gb is plenty to run Honeycomb smoothly. I have the 16gb version and there is plenty of space for apps.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
I have to agree with you regarding the length of the charging cable. Even just a couple feet more would definitely suffice. Luckily the solution is simple as Magani mentioned.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Yeah, I definitely agree about the charging cable - hopefully ASUS will build a lengthier one for the Transformer 2 and hopefully it'll be compatible with the original TF for those who keep theirs (I myself will likely be upgrading, depending on overall cost)!

At least we can extend it until then. A definite kudos to ASUS for using the latest tech (USB 3.0). I guess its not too hard for them, consisting their expertise with motherboards.

As for App2SD, I personally don't see the need - I'd want the response time of the internal storage (I went through supreme and dowager to get to that word - Swype needs to work on it's words ;)) for my apps. 16GB is plenty of room for any amount of apps you might need IMHO.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Get an ipad 2.
Please, don't spam these threads. Be aware of the topic at hand. Actually, wait a minute - my tablet doesn't have App2SD! It's junk...I'm gonna get an iPad 2. Oh, wait, the iPad 2 doesn't even have an SD slot...huh. Interesting. ;)

Anyway, I'm hoping ASUS will include a better charging cord with the next tablet - hopefully 6 feet or so. Having a magnetic extension would be nice - that way, you could keep a shorter cord, extend it when needed, and not have to worry about ripping the connection if you pull it (kinda like the MacBook system, except implemented completely different).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

donmcdougall

Sep 4, 2011
Some apps use a lot of memory, they also take up memory. My phone lets me store apps on the SD card, I would like to use internal storage here the same way. Do I NEED to - Nope - but I want to.