NOOKcolor Owners thread

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks to Matt, Rico, and idontknow for the welcomes and the advice. I did install Zeam (found the default button, Matt) but I can't figure out how to uninstall Softkeys. I keep feeling that I've got too many apps trying to do the same thing. I really would like to settle on one launch and get rid of the rest. On that same subject - can I uninstall some of the apps that came preloaded on the Color Nook? I'm thinking in particular of the Chess game. I've done some searching, but can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it.

-Ashley, there is a 20 minute (or so) YouTube video about how to root the NC. It is pretty accurate and takes away a lot of the scariness once you see it done.

-stelv, I love your screen shot!

My NC goals for the day are to check out AppBrain and see if I can uninstall a few of the preloaded apps that I don't want.
BTW - I just received my new cover for my NC - made by Roocase. It is just what I was looking for.

Sue

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Sue! There are a couple different ways to remove apps. One route is to pull up NookColor Tools, and then go to All Settings -> Manage Applications. From there you'll see a list of most apps, though the stock B&N ones may not show up. Other routes include built-in task/app managers in Titanium, AppBrain, and the Market.

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I would suggest Titanium Backup too. With Titanium Backup Free you can usually freeze and uninstall apps.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I did install Zeam (found the default button, Matt) but I can't figure out how to uninstall Softkeys. I keep feeling that I've got too many apps trying to do the same thing. I really would like to settle on one launch and get rid of the rest.
Sue

Hi Sue...Softkeys and Zeam do very different things...Softkeys make up for the fact that our NC's don't have the proper hard keys that Android wants (primarily a back button) since some apps run fullscreen, you can't get to the notification bar and would have to press the 'n' to get back to it. I didn't care for softkeys, so I installed Button Savior and liked it better...then I went into NookColor Tools > All Settings >Manage Applications > Softkeys, then it gave me the option to uninstall it there.

(When you go into Manage Applications, the back button found on the notification bar goes away, so it helps to have another app like softkeys installed first...otherwise it can get confusing getting back to the All Settings screen)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi matt, I 'm still trying to get a perfect screenshoot,ifollowed your suggestions to someoneelse and I got rid of the audio icon but I see in the pic. 2n buttons and 2 softkeys. DO I see double today? No,I don't think is me... .what can I do to fix that. No urgency here .
Grazie in anticipo
gloria

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Hi my name is Dave, and I just bought a Nook Color...

I've had it long enough to register it with B&N, and I am starting the root process per nookDev's... pray for me. :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

I've had it long enough to register it with B&N, and I am starting the root process per nookDev's... pray for me. :)

It will b all good. If u have any problems just ask us for help.

Sent from my Droid

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi matt, I 'm still trying to get a perfect screenshoot,ifollowed your suggestions to someoneelse and I got rid of the audio icon but I see in the pic. 2n buttons and 2 softkeys. DO I see double today? No,I don't think is me... .what can I do to fix that. No urgency here .
Grazie in anticipo
gloria
Hi Gloria, can you post an example? I think I know how to get rid of the softkeys images, but not sure about the n buttons!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010

Like Stelv said, there's nothing to it! The place where some people get hung up is in writing the autnooter image to their sdcard (probably best to avoid using WinImage and a cell phone!), otherwise it's almost like getting a shot: quick and nearly painless!

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
... (probably best to avoid using WinImage and a cell phone!)...

-Matt

What are you saying Matt? LOL

Gloria, when you go to take your screenshot, make sure your screen looks the way you want, press the 'n' button and quickly tap the Vol-...just a quick tap, then let go of the 'n' button and you should be good from there.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Welcome the the Nook section. If you have any questions, no matter how small, just ask and we'll help you out. :)

It's pretty hard to break the NC, software-wise, so have no fear rooting and adding other things to your NC.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
HAHA, its all good. I personally wouldn't suggest doing it that way either...I was just impatient and it happened to work with my model of phone.

Welcome to the craziness Dave!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Have you guys noticed the forum is blowing up like crazy lately! The word about the NC must be spreading. Welcome all : )

sent from my rooted nook color