NOOKcolor Owners thread

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,
Just stopping in to say hello in the NC section. Most of this is a cross post from the main forum where I've been hanging out and trying to absorb Xaueious' excellent overall tablet advice, but wanted to join in the fun here. The NC was actually down about 5th on my list, but, a chance encounter in a restaurant line last night means I just happened to lay my hands on a helpful young lady's nook. Wow, excellent hardware and screen. So nice that I stayed up late last night after I got home and read the _entire_ color nook section of this forum, and am already on it again this morning. May have to blow through my Sunday studying yet more. I need to review it all again less tired, but I think I should be able to get the rooting done ok. Less sure about ability to handle getting 2.2 on there, but am going to go read some more now. I have an urge to take my laptop to a local B&N, buy the NC, and do it on the spot in their cafe today? Realistic? Or maybe all but the 2.2? Would be fun to go get it, work on it there, and then be able to say it was rooted and marketplaced before I even left BN. I don't know how many people actually frequent the forum here on a Sunay, but I might be logging on for help.
Thanks again so much for the help so far.
Regards
Roger
Austin, TX

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
But my experience is that every time a new firmware appears, two things happen: (1) people freak out, and (2) the forums get choked with "Will I LOSE ROOT?!?!?!?!" :p

Admittedly, it's been pretty mild for the Nook over here--I'm sensing more anxiety at XDA. But what tends to happen in these situations is that the devs sort it out (2-4 weeks) and we settle back into a peaceful state. :)
-Matt[/QUOTE]

Boy,you've got that right!
I've spent quite a bit of time hanging out over at XDA and people are all over the place. Some seem to have been successful in installing the 1.1 over the 1.01. root, but there are a bunch of really frustrated people who can't figure out what they did wrong. (I'm sure that I would be one of the latter group if I tried this now.) Although I'm really impatient to get my NC rooted again, I will wait until the developers come up with something a little more fool-proof. I have discovered how little I know about the Android OS and all of the available apps and what they do, so I'm really, really glad that I found this group. I hope you guys (Matt, Rico, and Steve) stick around because I absolutely am going to need some help when I get my NC rooted again. BTW- can I assume that the verb "flash" means something along the lines as "install"? or install from an SD Card?

Sue

rrd257r

Jan 30, 2011
Hey All,

Got my Nook Color on Christmas and a couple weeks later (after following quite a few of Rico's posts and recommendations) decided I felt comfortable Rooting it. The process was basically flawless. While I don't want to derail the thread, I was wondering two things.

First, can I get my name on this list? This forum looks like my kinda place!

Second (Kinda geared toward Rico but any advice would be appreciated), and I don't want to derail the thread in anyway shape or form so feel free to PM me, but would you mind enlightening me to the most fool-proof way to overclock my NC to 1.1 Ghz? I've got SetCPU installed to throttle it under different circumstances with various profiles, but it currently reads the Max setting at 800Mhz. I've read a bit about various kernels, but it seems Rico is running something that's pretty stable. Any info would be much appreciated.

Really looking forward to getting to know all of you (and my NC) a lot better!

Cheers
-Ry

-EDIT-

Felt the need to mention that gandgetrants is another one of the reason's I felt compelled to join this forum. You guys seriously rock.

Seriously now.... I'm done.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi all,
Just stopping in to say hello in the NC section. Most of this is a cross post from the main forum where I've been hanging out and trying to absorb Xaueious' excellent overall tablet advice, but wanted to join in the fun here. The NC was actually down about 5th on my list, but, a chance encounter in a restaurant line last night means I just happened to lay my hands on a helpful young lady's nook. Wow, excellent hardware and screen. So nice that I stayed up late last night after I got home and read the _entire_ color nook section of this forum, and am already on it again this morning. May have to blow through my Sunday studying yet more. I need to review it all again less tired, but I think I should be able to get the rooting done ok. Less sure about ability to handle getting 2.2 on there, but am going to go read some more now. I have an urge to take my laptop to a local B&N, buy the NC, and do it on the spot in their cafe today? Realistic? Or maybe all but the 2.2? Would be fun to go get it, work on it there, and then be able to say it was rooted and marketplaced before I even left BN. I don't know how many people actually frequent the forum here on a Sunay, but I might be logging on for help.
Thanks again so much for the help so far.
Regards
Roger
Austin, TX
Hey Roger, looks like we're on the verge of welcoming you as a bona fide Nook owner. I'd encourage you to take the leap, but I fear you'll run through the B&N like a madman yelling "I DID IT, I DID IT!!" and get hauled away to the loony bin. ;)

My advice at this point is:

- buy it, play with it while stock for a bit
- update to 1.0.1
- root with the autonooter

I'm not sure why, but mine hasn't been hit with the 1.1 update yet (which should knock out root). My hunch is that I installed ROM Manager, which might prevent an OTA update, but even if it comes, I'm happy to wipe and reinstall if I have to. I can't guarantee you that doing the same will keep you locked into 1.0.1, but the worst that can happen is you roll back to stock firmware and start over.

Regarding 2.2, I don't think that's ready for primetime yet. A reasonable estimate is that B&N will release their version of 2.2 in the next month or two. At that point we'll probably have two choices: use B&N's 2.2 or install a modified version (kind of the way things work right now with 2.1). If you're OK with waiting for that, I'm all but sure you'll be happy with running 2.1 on your Nook in the meantime.

Keep us posted!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
BTW- can I assume that the verb "flash" means something along the lines as "install"? or install from an SD Card?
Sue
Yep!!! My sense is that "flashing" (wooops, double entendre...) means modifying the instructions that run when you boot the Nook (the Read Only Memory, i.e., ROM). So the subtle difference is "install" usually means "add a program" while "flash" means "change what the Nook does when it boots." But for all practical purposes it's the same thing. :)

Also, some things can only be flashed by copying them to the Nook's internal memory, while others can be flashed from either internal memory or sdcard. Of course, when you're flashing, the instructions should be clear where the file goes!

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Ahhh yes, sorry for my flashing jargon Sue. I'm an EE who used to be pretty into hardware, naturally, and I still let engineer terms float into my everyday speech.

Thanks Matt. Just realized I have $25 in BestBuy rewardzone certificates (\[from when I bought my Android phone which is what led to this whole mess ;) ], so I think I'm going to buzz buy best buy and grab an NC there - plus, a convenient place to pick up an extra micro SD card.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ahhh yes, sorry for my flashing jargon Sue. I'm an EE who used to be pretty into hardware, naturally, and I still let engineer terms float into my everyday speech.

Thanks Matt. Just realized I have $25 in BestBuy rewardzone certificates (\[from when I bought my Android phone which is what led to this whole mess ;) ], so I think I'm going to buzz buy best buy and grab an NC there - plus, a convenient place to pick up an extra micro SD card.
Wonderful, Roger. I actually wanted to plug BestBuy...I ended up returning my two first Nooks and they were very, very easy about it. You'll get either a 15- or 30-day (the latter, I think) no-questions return window (and smack the salesguy if he says "restocking fee"). You should have peace of mind while you play, and remember that you can easily return to stock.

I hope you didn't giggle (or roll your eyes) when you read my 4th grade version of flash vs. install (it's not you Sue, it's my skill/knowledge level!). If you want to edit, modify, or get it up to the 10th grade level feel free and I'll revise my explanation!

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
I have nothing to contribute to improving it. I haven't done much pure EE work >5 years, and when I last did, it was low level hardware stuff, flipping bits and loading registers and such. While that's all very technical, it doesn't mean I know the first thing about how to go about this whole procedure (rooting, flashing new kernals) any more than anyone else. It only means I have a better idea what's happening at a very low level, but that's only of academic interest, and of no real practical value. I'll be learning from you folks. :)

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, is the Nook going to come with the relevant USB cable to plug into my laptop, or do I need to pick one up while at Best Buy? I've already loaded my powercord and an extra micro-SD adapter into my laptop bag, so I'm about ready.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
it comes with a power plug with a detachable usb cable - for power and connecting to PC - you can also use microusb cables to charge it albeit slower than the BN cable

OK, is the Nook going to come with the relevant USB cable to plug into my laptop, or do I need to pick one up while at Best Buy? I've already loaded my powercord and an extra micro-SD adapter into my laptop bag, so I'm about ready.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Roger, it wasn't your jargon that was difficult. Over on the XDA forums, every other word is "flash"! I'm trying to look up as many words as I can, but there are way too many definitions for "flash" and none of them were what I was looking for. Thanks for definition, Matt.

Sue

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Second (Kinda geared toward Rico but any advice would be appreciated), and I don't want to derail the thread in anyway shape or form so feel free to PM me, but would you mind enlightening me to the most fool-proof way to overclock my NC to 1.1 Ghz? I've got SetCPU installed to throttle it under different circumstances with various profiles, but it currently reads the Max setting at 800Mhz. I've read a bit about various kernels, but it seems Rico is running something that's pretty stable. Any info would be much appreciated.

Real quick... Rico has a great thread HERE that goes step by step in overclocking...Check his second post in that thread. Hope that helps and welcome to the awesome insanity! :)

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Fair enough. Flash can mean several things, but I'll limit it to the two that I think won't offend a lady.

1) Adobe's Flash Player, which is a video player

2a) Noun, Flash is a certain type of non volatile memory, with common examples being usb drives, xd cards, and stuff built into your motherboards

2b) Verb, writing to (storing information on) the above.

In yet more computer jargon, it is an "overloaded term"

clear as mud?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Fair enough. Flash can mean several things, but I'll limit it to the two that I think won't offend a lady.

1) Adobe's Flash Player, which is a video player

2a) Noun, Flash is a certain type of non volatile memory, with common examples being usb drives, xd cards, and stuff built into your motherboards

2b) Verb, writing to (storing information on) the above.

In yet more computer jargon, it is an "overloaded term"

clear as mud?
Awesome, I love it!

-Matt