NOOKcolor Owners thread

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
it comes with a power plug with a detachable usb cable - for power and connecting to PC - you can also use microusb cables to charge it albeit slower than the BN cable
Waaaaaaaay back in December, when Rico and I bought our Nooks, we kinda tossed this issue around. Since I was confused at first, I want to note to Roger (my apologies if you recognized this): remember that the MICRO interface is not the most common one. If you grabbed a USB cable at random, it will probably have the MINI connector.
$271px-types-usb_newsvg.png
The Nook's cable is the same type of USB cable used by my Motorola Droid (while my wife's HTC Droid Eris uses mini-USB...go figure), so I have two extra micro-USB cables at hand.

(This is a bit of folklore, but late last year, there was a story circulating that B&N "required" using their cable to charge. The user manual may even say as much. There is no evidence to support this claim. HOWEVER, the wall-charger that comes with the Nook supplies 1.9 amps, which is the fastest way to charge it. I sometimes charge via laptop, but I don't think I'd mess with regular USB wall chargers, which are normally 1 amp.)

-Matt

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
FWIW - When I first got my NC I misplaced the oem wall charger and tried to use several of my other chargers instead. The only other charger I could get to actually charge, was a Samsung.

Sue

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
FWIW - When I first got my NC I misplaced the oem wall charger and tried to use several of my other chargers instead. The only other charger I could get to actually charge, was a Samsung.

Sue
How do you only have 8 posts? Haven't you been here longer??? :p Are there TWO people named Sue???

On topic: Have you tried a USB port on a computer (not that that's special or anything)? It should work, if slowly.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Waaaaaaaay back in December, when Rico and I bought our Nooks, we kinda tossed this issue around. Since I was confused at first, I want to note to Roger (my apologies if you recognized this): remember that the MICRO interface is not the most common one. If you grabbed a USB cable at random, it will probably have the MINI connector.
View attachment 1016
The Nook's cable is the same type of USB cable used by my Motorola Droid (while my wife's HTC Droid Eris uses mini-USB...go figure), so I have two extra micro-USB cables at hand.

(This is a bit of folklore, but late last year, there was a story circulating that B&N "required" using their cable to charge. The user manual may even say as much. There is no evidence to support this claim. HOWEVER, the wall-charger that comes with the Nook supplies 1.9 amps, which is the fastest way to charge it. I sometimes charge via laptop, but I don't think I'd mess with regular USB wall chargers, which are normally 1 amp.)

-Matt

Yes and this is why all my Htc chargers, which I have do not work.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ciao Matt, I kind of knew the tecnical meaning but Idontknow the doube meaning of"flashing"....now I'm curious!
I'm thinking to root my phone also,my chiuaua dog is going to be next...I don'nt want to go to another forum,I'm comfortable here...could I find here somebody to guide me trough my LG phone rooting?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Chihuahua???!??!?!! :eek: OMG, too funny!

Sorry I can't help you with the LG (or the dog), but another meaning of "flashing" is...well, imagine a guy who is wearing a long black coat. ;) Can you see, in your mind's eye, what he is running around, doing?

Sort of like this:

$ManFlashinginTrenchCoat.gif

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ciao Matt, I kind of knew the tecnical meaning but Idontknow the doube meaning of"flashing"....now I'm curious!
I'm thinking to root my phone also,my chiuaua dog is going to be next...I don'nt want to go to another forum,I'm comfortable here...could I find here somebody to guide me trough my LG phone rooting?

I do not know how to root a lg phone either but if it is a verizon android lg phone droidforums.net has some lg sections.

sent from my rooted nook color

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Hi guys. I just read the 188 posts to this forum again to see if any more info would sink in. Lol
A couple questions: I tried abt 10 different USB cables to charge my NC, Motorola& LG and none of them worked. Even the one I got with my Droid2. Should the battery charging thing pop up when I plug it in? And I read, somewhere, that the NC wont charge when plugged into your computer.?
Also, having been over at Xda and reading all the horror stories abt the Update, I have not turned on Wifi since. Not really sure what will happen to my NC. Any senarios?
This forum is great! Love all you friendly people :)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi guys. I just read the 188 posts to this forum again to see if any more info would sink in. Lol
A couple questions: I tried abt 10 different USB cables to charge my NC, Motorola& LG and none of them worked. Even the one I got with my Droid2. Should the battery charging thing pop up when I plug it in? And I read, somewhere, that the NC wont charge when plugged into your computer.?
Also, having been over at Xda and reading all the horror stories abt the Update, I have not turned on Wifi since. Not really sure what will happen to my NC. Any senarios?
This forum is great! Love all you friendly people :)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App
Wow, you've got a heck of a lot of stamina!!! :) I got a couple of answers:

(1) Any old micro USB cable should work. When you say yours don't, are you plugged into the proprietary B&N wall charger, or something else?

(2) Charging will work on a computer USB port, depending of course on the power output of the port. But my laptop ports charge the Nook...just very slowly!

(3) You've come along just as that pesky update has appeared...so sorry to say it, but keeping wifi off for a few days may be your best option. :(

Glad you're liking it here. We need to try a giant all-member group-hug at some point! :p

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Ha, I wouldn't have had extra 'correct cables' either, hadn't my recently acquired android phone been also micro-USB equipped. I have any number of full size USB A and B cables, and remnants of a past career, weird crossover stuff, and a few minis, but I just now got into micro USB myself.

Fwiw, past experience has shown me that small, low-current chargers will sometimes shut down, or have their voltage pulled low enough by the for-them-excessive current draw, that they're unable to charge a heavily depleted device, but can top-up or keep a relatively fresh one running, somewhere around break-even, give or take. So, the little ones aren't necessarily useless, always. (but of course are, when you really need them ;)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I feel a bit silly for posting that USB diagram. You must have extraordinary patience with people. :)

-Matt

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I've noticed that the plug on the cable that came with my NC is longer than a typical microUSB plug. Based on that, I haven't tried using one with the stock charger or to sync with a computer.. Would it work? If so, I'm stoked because I have tons of those, and I've been wanting a second cable but BN has been sold out for a long time.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
I think I read somewhere that the NC uses a micro-B cable and that most are micro-A (whatever that means.) Matt you just think I've been here for a long time because I usually post such long messages! ;)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I think I read somewhere that the NC uses a micro-B cable and that most are micro-A (whatever that means.) Matt you just think I've been here for a long time because I usually post such long messages! ;)

Correct and you probably read it here. :) I believe we were talking about it on the Nook Color General Discussion" thread.

angelkissez

Jan 31, 2011
Just wanted to say Hi. Ive had my rooted nook color for a few weeks now and am loving it so far. Ive been reading on this forum all morning and am very happy to be a part of your community!