NOOKcolor Owners thread

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Back button? I still swipe from right to left at the bottom of the glass. That is my back.

That will work a good part of the time but many apps will go "full screen" and hide the stock nook bar. So for most of us, we us Button Savior or Softkeys for a back button in those cases.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, I finally got the basics (autorooting, contacts, astro, rom-mngr, cw, adb etc) all working, so I can now get back to this thread. I'm sure I'll improve this all later, but at least I have an avatar and a screenshot for now (can they be taken in landscape mode too, if that's ones primary orientation/useage?)

$11-02-04-4.png

P.S. Suggested good thread for a new who wants to really dive into improved contact management, even if it means something drastic like HoneyComb and a Powerdrill? Tips appreciated.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
P.S. Suggested good thread for a new who wants to really dive into improved contact management, even if it means something drastic like HoneyComb and a Powerdrill? Tips appreciated.

Wow, quite the saga (been following for sometime but didn't have anything to add to help). Glad you got everything worked out. I guess the bottom line is search, search, search when trying to eleminate the NC devices on the ADB install.

Here is a link to the thread re managing NC contacts http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/7288-lookink-functional-contacts-app.html

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Perfect, poked around there and got Bitzer running. Needs a lot of work but a step in the right direction. Thanks!

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Hoping some folks can show me the light. I just sold my Archos 101 for $300 and am looking at getting a replacement. I am heavily considering the Nook Color. Can someone give me some insight as to why I want to consider it? I like the fact that:

1. Price
2. Hackability
3. Community Support
4. Decent Hardware Specs for the $
5. ?????

Thanks guys!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, all of those reasons and all of the other 261 posts in this thread. Honestly if you are going to come to this forum consisting of Nook users, I don't think you will find anybody with a reason not to use one. So go ahead and do it, then come back post a screen shot of your Nookcolor and tell us what you think :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hoping some folks can show me the light. I just sold my Archos 101 for $300 and am looking at getting a replacement. I am heavily considering the Nook Color. Can someone give me some insight as to why I want to consider it? I like the fact that:

1. Price
2. Hackability
3. Community Support
5. ?????

Thanks guys!!

1. Mine was 259 when I got it
2. Easy and mostly unbrickable. But do your rooting research thoroughly.
3. We are here if u have questions. This forum has grown and is growing fast.
4. Specs are stickied somewhere in this forum. Similar to droid x I believe. No HDMI. Better screen and more ram than archos.
5. We should be getting custom roms soon. There is a good developer community behind us.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yes, all of those reasons and all of the other 261 posts in this thread. Honestly if you are going to come to this forum consisting of Nook users, I don't think you will find anybody with a reason not to use one. So go ahead and do it, then come back post a screen shot of your Nookcolor and tell us what you think :)
Anyone notice the S7 and iPhone in his signature? I think he could be a spy. :rolleyes: Well, even if that's true, I still think we can bring him around to the Nook!

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Anyone notice the S7 and iPhone in his signature? I think he could be a spy. :rolleyes: Well, even if that's true, I still think we can bring him around to the Nook!

-Matt

Exactly, deep down doesn't everybody want a Nook? ;)

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Hey just for the record my next phone is going to be Android based. I can't upgrade until May;-) I understand that the Nook is an eReader first, but how legit of a "tablet" is it compared the dedicated tablets (like the Archos 101)?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
hey just for the record my next phone is going to be android based. I can't upgrade until may;-) i understand that the nook is an ereader first, but how legit of a "tablet" is it compared the dedicated tablets (like the archos 101)?
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Are you trying to get banned??? :rolleyes: Oh how you like to stir the pot.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey just for the record my next phone is going to be Android based. I can't upgrade until May;-) I understand that the Nook is an eReader first, but how legit of a "tablet" is it compared the dedicated tablets (like the Archos 101)?
FYI, hope you know I'm just having fun with you. :)

We're actually a pretty nice group. Except when people come in and use the "eReader" WORD!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Seriously, drop into BestBuy tomorrow, push the gray-haired lady over to the Kindle, and spend 30 minutes playing with Nook. If you don't come away impressed with the screen, the form factor, and the responsiveness on a stock unit, this is probably not the right device/forum for you.

But I bet you'll be very impressed. It's smooth.

-Matt

PS Geez, I look like a post-wh*** tonight. ;)

Feb 4, 2011

1. Price
2. Hackability
3. Community Support
5. ?????

Thanks guys!!

Nook color specs here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/3483-nookcolor-full-specifications.html

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

I think what Matt is trying to say is that you have it backwards. In our opinion the Nookcolor is clearly a teblet first that also happens to make a great e-reader. Make no mistake the Nookcolor is a full fledged tablet and is competative with tablets 2-3 times its price. The only functions that may be considered lacking by some tablet standards are cameras and ports like hdmi. While a gps chip would also be nice it will eventually be a feature that can be enabled via the on board bluetooh to a gps device.

There is nothing this tablet can't do really. Heck it can even run Honeycomb already :)