Overall experience with the Viewsonic Gtablet...

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Okay, I'm bringing this thread back... had my gtab for a hot minute and figured I'd give you all an update. So far, I've flashed CM7Tab, Flashback7.2, Mountain Laurel, Brilliant Corners, VeganTab Ginger Edition (which I broke), Beasty 2.2.1 (somewhat glitchy but fast), and several resets back to zero via NVflash to get a fresh start. I've soft bricked 3 times (my own fault). Managed to get it back without issue every time. I've even rocked the stock ROMs 4349, 5274 for a day or two. This thing really flies with the Clemsyn Overclock Kernals installed. I know there are issues, but I can work around most of them. I use ADB to do much of anything with the tablet. I just got my computer rebuilt as a dual boot Ubuntu/XP machine. I don't really use the XP side, except for Photoshop, Illustrator. The Clemsyn port of the Adam ROM was impressive. Really fast too. I will not go back to HoneyComb unless the minor things get fixed. It's really irritating to get such a nice ROM that has little bugs. When they dump a Beta phase HC, I will be the first to review it, but until then, I will stick with the Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs.

sent from my Stockish 5274 running Clemsyn kernal Gtablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
It is still in my opinion one of the absolute best values in a tablet in terms of capabilities and forgiveness

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
It is still in my opinion one of the absolute best values in a tablet in terms of capabilities and forgiveness

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

+1 there. Hands down the best value. I couldn't be happier.

sent from my Stockish 5274 running Clemsyn kernal Gtablet using Tapatalk

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
Sharpe, The honeycomb rom im on is in beta it's the Gtabcomb beta 3.3 by Zyhong can only overclock to 1.4 though it has the pershoot's kernel vs the clemsyn, I do miss being able to rock it at 1.5 but 1.4 isn't bad at all.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Sharpe, The honeycomb rom im on is in beta it's the Gtabcomb beta 3.3 by Zyhong can only overclock to 1.4 though it has the pershoot's kernel vs the clemsyn, I do miss being able to rock it at 1.5 but 1.4 isn't bad at all.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that. Trying out Century Eyes right now. I love the GUI, but I can't get market working. :( I really want to figure out how to rewrite kernals. Then I can do whatever I want to OC any kernal.

sent from my Beast Gtablet using Tapatalk

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
I had that same problem with century eyes but the fix is easy
  1. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market.
  2. When taken to the Market page, Force Stop the Market and Google Services Framework.
  3. In Titanium Backup , go into ‘Backup/Restore’, look for ‘Google Services Framework 2.2’, tap on it and then choose ‘Wipe Data’.
  4. Go back to your home screen.
  5. Run Market on your device now. You should get an error. If you get no error, try the above steps again until you do. Getting that error is absolutely important.
  6. Once you get the error, reboot your device.
Wait for at least a minute after the OS has booted and then start Android Market again. You should notice all of your applications visible in the Market right now. You still have to do one more reboot to actually have the ability to download and install applications.

I found that somewhere, I saved it to my laptop, I had already had titanium back up so there was no need to download it I can verify it works on century eyes because I had to do it, It was my first rom lol that would be cool to tweak the kernel like that just be careful, dont wana fry anything lol

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I had that same problem with century eyes but the fix is easy
  1. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market.
  2. When taken to the Market page, Force Stop the Market and Google Services Framework.
  3. In Titanium Backup , go into ‘Backup/Restore’, look for ‘Google Services Framework 2.2’, tap on it and then choose ‘Wipe Data’.
  4. Go back to your home screen.
  5. Run Market on your device now. You should get an error. If you get no error, try the above steps again until you do. Getting that error is absolutely important.
  6. Once you get the error, reboot your device.
Wait for at least a minute after the OS has booted and then start Android Market again. You should notice all of your applications visible in the Market right now. You still have to do one more reboot to actually have the ability to download and install applications.

I found that somewhere, I saved it to my laptop, I had already had titanium back up so there was no need to download it I can verify it works on century eyes because I had to do it, It was my first rom lol that would be cool to tweak the kernel like that just be careful, dont wana fry anything lol

You know, I had no problem there... I just needed to enable sync in the settings. Lol.

sent from my Century Eyes Gtablet using Tapatalk

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
lol or that would work, it's amazing how the simple stuff can hang us up, then we go into fix mode when it takes just a simple touch and a click lol, glad you got it going, how are you enjoying the rom? I miss it from time to time. I liked the boot up on it. I was thinking of getting nvflash going and slapping it on my gtabcomb rom just because I could and really like it lol.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
lol or that would work, it's amazing how the simple stuff can hang us up, then we go into fix mode when it takes just a simple touch and a click lol, glad you got it going, how are you enjoying the rom? I miss it from time to time. I liked the boot up on it. I was thinking of getting nvflash going and slapping it on my gtabcomb rom just because I could and really like it lol.

Its sweet. I really love the GUI. I recommend changing the kernal to the updated Clemsyn Froyo Kernal (original seemed glitchy-- some SOD issues). I want to figure out how to add panes to interact with in the home app.

computerdoc

Sep 6, 2011
I followed the instructions about putting on CWR, you know Recovery folder and update.zip on my gTablet V1.2 first but all I get is a notice that says "Recovery key detected, Booting recovery kernal image".
It will stay that way forever. Nothing happens. Any suggestions are very welcome. I modded my NookColor 3x without problems but this one has me totally confused. Searching web some instructions require jumping from link to link [where some info is old] or following instructions step-by-step but results are not what I get.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I am tech savvy but not really mod-savvy.
Thanks!
-Charles
ComputerDoc
Computer Doctor Tips

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I followed the instructions about putting on CWR, you know Recovery folder and update.zip on my gTablet V1.2 first but all I get is a notice that says "Recovery key detected, Booting recovery kernal image".
It will stay that way forever. Nothing happens. Any suggestions are very welcome. I modded my NookColor 3x without problems but this one has me totally confused. Searching web some instructions require jumping from link to link [where some info is old] or following instructions step-by-step but results are not what I get.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I am tech savvy but not really mod-savvy.
Thanks!
-Charles
ComputerDoc
Computer Doctor Tips

If you can't get passed that screen, then you have the wrong clockwork installed. Its an easy fix. Search here for NVflash. Set it up on your PC and rewrite CWM recovery image. If you need more info, I can help more tonight.
-Mike