Overall experience with the Viewsonic Gtablet...

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
You're right, sounds simple. :) But you decided not to stay stock for long. Oh hey, I have a dare: NOW do an nvflash back to stock 3588 (or did yours come with the 4349 firmware?). -Matt

Mine was 4349 to start on the 1.2bl. I don't think I have time to "crash" it back to stock right now. I haven't even gotten everything setup the way I want... Still waiting on Titanium backup to run. Besides, I have to work at the shop tomorrow. Yes, I know, mechanics shouldn't work on Sunday, but some do, and it sucks.

Also, don't forget, I believe in my OP I said I wasn't new to this. Now, I'm not bragging. Not by any stretch of the imagination. There are definitely more people that know a lot more than I do.

sent from my CM7 Gtablet using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Uh oh...you're not a "real" gTab owner if you use the phrase, "everything set up the way I want." ;) We're gypsies...always on the move. (Dave, can you back me up?!?!?) Not to jinx you, but if your experiences are typical at some point you'll run into something "funny"--maybe a boot loop, constant force closures on an app, battery life issues--and you'll need to back out and start over. So don't get too comfortable! -Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Everything how you want.....I don't understand....is that possible?! :)

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Uh oh...you're not a "real" gTab owner if you use the phrase, "everything set up the way I want." ;) We're gypsies...always on the move. (Dave, can you back me up?!?!?) Not to jinx you, but if your experiences are typical at some point you'll run into something "funny"--maybe a boot loop, constant force closures on an app, battery life issues--and you'll need to back out and start over. So don't get too comfortable! -Matt

LMAO ! Thanks for a good laugh.
Believe it or not, a gtab is like a young wife. Never know when she'd change her mood next. :)

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
LMAO ! Thanks for a good laugh.
Believe it or not, a gtab is like a young wife. Never know when she'd change her mood next. :)

Dave,

Yea, kinda *****y with the wifi connection. Lol.

95% full charge? Must need calibration.

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
so many wrong things with those comments :( but.....so many more too right things with those comments lol at least our tabs are trainable and only come with a one time fee upfront with a warranty !

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yea, kinda *****y with the wifi connection. Lol. 95% full charge? Must need calibration. sent from my CM7 Gtablet using Tapatalk
Oh Mike I should'a warned you. I think the vast majority of owners see upper 90's. I'm usually 95-96. My sincerest, best advice is to just ignore it. There was a long, futile conversation about it at slatedroid last week (NO FIXES worked). It ended up going nowhere. It's like a picture that hangs crooked, but can't be fixed... Dave, maybe you can mention if you've seen anything at XDA? On an unrelated note: played with the Thrive and Transformer yesterday at BestBuy. Was surprised to see that the "recent apps" list SCROLLS! Too bad ours doesn't work quite right. -Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
LOL. I figured that on there battery. It may just need to be learned. I know my little LG phone had to "relearn"the battery after I fired CM7 IHO into it. Can you reset the battery on these tabs like on my phone? Also, how many sensors do the batteries use (ie temp, volts, etc.)?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
LOL. I figured that on there battery. It may just need to be learned. I know my little LG phone had to "relearn"the battery after I fired CM7 IHO into it. Can you reset the battery on these tabs like on my phone? Also, how many sensors do the batteries use (ie temp, volts, etc.)?

Ah, you still sound hopeful. Oh well, I don't blame you.

All good questions. Here is what I know:

- Nobody runs the gTab on stock ROM, so hard to know if battery behaves correctly on stock
- On custom ROM (all, afaik), the usual experience is to max out in the hi-90s
- No attempts to fix have worked, including third party apps that claim to recalibrate battery, as well as CWM reset/recalibrate functions
- Many battery details do not show up (or viewing causes errors) on the custom ROMs--the only one I can see (Flashback 7.1) is temperature

Let me know when I've beat the last ounce of optimism out of you. ;)

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Ah, you still sound hopeful. Oh well, I don't blame you.

All good questions. Here is what I know:

- Nobody runs the gTab on stock ROM, so hard to know if battery behaves correctly on stock
- On custom ROM (all, afaik), the usual experience is to max out in the hi-90s
- No attempts to fix have worked, including third party apps that claim to recalibrate battery, as well as CWM reset/recalibrate functions
- Many battery details do not show up (or viewing causes errors) on the custom ROMs--the only one I can see (Flashback 7.1) is temperature

Let me know when I've beat the last ounce of optimism out of you. ;)

-Matt

No way to beat the optimism out of me. I'm very happy with this tablet (and the CM7Tab). You also need to remember that I came to this from a not-so-super SuperPad. That tab is a learning experience all in itself.
After you mentioned a long winded debate over the battery, I figured it may be a moot point.

The cover on the side of the tablet (over the micro SD slot and USB input)... can or have you ripped it off? I've been considering it. Especially seeing that I use my keyboard with the tablet a lot.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
LOL, I think that everybody is glad that all users are happy with their tablets, and a real good thing is that you're one of them. Congratulations. :)
Matt is right, users that have had gtab for a while tended to ignore some minor shortcomings of the gtab, until a newer user brings it up, and we debate it again. Let's the fun continue :)

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
All in all, the battery thing is extraordiarily minor thing. Honestly, the tab has a great, fast processor, a really nice multitap touch screen. The camera is crap, but I don't even use it. I even like the case, especially with the carbon fiber skin on it. Looks dead sexy. The screen protector was a pain to put on, but looks great now. I feel really confident that this tab is a heavy hitter in a flooded market. The price point is a nice touch. I bought on Amazon for $260 free shipping. I know others paid a little more or even a little less, but still cheap for the quality of product you get. The touch screen almost reminds me of a samsung device (for the buttons). The only thing there is that they do not illuminate. That would make the tab even better. Anyhow, I am very happy customer. It helps to be tech savvy, but it isn't all that hard to learn to do either.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Let me jump in for Matt here :p honeycomb has persistant soft keys to use in the dark

Edited for grammar

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Let me jump in for Matt here :p honeycomb has persistant soft keys to use in the dark

Edited for grammar

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Well, so does Gingerbread, or at least CM7Tab... You guys are trying to trick me into HC..... c'mon, admit it.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
We're not trying to trick you. We're trying to brainwash you! You will be an unusual owner if you end up sticking with one ROM for a while. :)

-Matt