Question about the MiniUSB port

Nov 6, 2011
I am thinking about buying a Vizio tablet. I went to look at one at a retail store and the mini-usb plug was very loose in the socket on the display. It was so loose that it wobbled when plugged in. I started to looking at reviews and a few talked about how fragile the mini-usb connection is. Has anyone here found this to be a problem? This connection is vital to charging and using this tablet. This tablet seems to have everything that i want but, if this connection is a weak spot that would send me looking for something else.

Thanks for any replies.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Yes, it is quite flimsy on mine as well. The problem appears to be with the way it is mounted. I just try to take care when inserting the micro-USB cable in and out of the port. Hopefully, I won't do anything bad.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Neither my wife's nor mine seem any flimsier than I would expect such a small, delicate connector to be. Connections to mine *click* into place with a bit more authority than hers, but they both seem fine.

That being said: I doubt those connections can take much abuse. I wish they'd used a different connection for the charging port.

Jim

Oct 10, 2011
After 5 weeks mine is still solid but I knew it was something I had to watch out for so whenever I charge or do file transfers I gently plug in the cable and lay the unit down so it is motionless. The ones in the stores are being demoed all day long, getting the attached cable jostled about day after day as everyone tests out the portrait / landscape feature. I imagine the store demo units get more stress on the USB port in one day that mine will see in a year.

GregRN

Nov 4, 2011
Mine is just as sturdy as any phone I have had. No complaints or problems with the port so far (knocking wood...). Good luck.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

imhumanoid

Nov 5, 2011
I noticed how fragile the Mini-USB connection is, due to the issue with my current phone.
I have a BlackBerry Curve 8530, and it also has had connection issues. the whole line. Many users on the BlackBerry forum complain about it, and alot of these phones have been returned due to the phone not being able to charge.

So yes, from the start I have been very careful with my tablet about using the USB port. For data transfer or charging :]

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
No issues here, mine has been secure, I have been careful due to some of the things I read though.

Nov 6, 2011
I went to another two stores and saw the same wobbling connector on the Vizio on display. I have several devices that use this same connector and none have ever been like what I am seeing on teh Vizio. This coupled with the inability to store anything of importance like apps on the SD card has me now looking at other tablets. It is hard to understand why a company like Vizio that has made a name for itself in good television sets, has put out something like this tablet with the problems that many are reporting. I am glad that I looked through this forum before putting out the cash - it may not be expensive but it is too expensive for something that is described as "just good enough".

claireh

Nov 17, 2011
I also purchased the Vizio tablet. We really liked it a lot (except that it would get really warm), but the micro-USB port was very loose from the beginning and did not survive but a few weeks. We ended up taking it back. I am currently considering the Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Here's a question: The battery on my Captivate seems to drain fairly quickly, so I purchased one of those external batteries. It's supposed to hook up to my phone via the micro USB port. However, the micro USB connector on the battery cable is different than the micro USB port on my Captivate. The Captivate port is narrower and longer. Are there different types of micro USBs?

Oct 10, 2011
The Captivate port is narrower and longer. Are there different types of micro USBs?

Unfortunately, yes. I have experienced at least 4 different types on digital cameras alone. I'm sure there are more and have no idea how to differentiate the types when ordering a cable or charging product.

Feb 24, 2012
My power connector eventually failed as the center conductor simply broke off in the end of the usb cable I was using. Now there is no way to charge the device. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty. The problem is not so much the mini usb jack itself, but the case around it. The shape of a mini-usb is like a trapezoid. the shape of the hole in the case is oval. So over time the metal outer shield bends out and no longer holds the connection firmly and offers wiggle room that eventually breaks the delicate plastic conductors inside the connector. Poor case design.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mini/micro usb has to be one of the poorest connectors in general. What a bad design for something that has become so common on all sorts of devices.

Sep 18, 2011
Narrower and longer is the Micro USB, the other style which is a tad bit thicker and a little shorter is called the Mini USB.​ Hope this information clears things up a bit for you...

Geof

Jun 16, 2012
The shape of a mini-usb is like a trapezoid. the shape of the hole in the case is oval. ..... Poor case design.

I contacted Vizio to ask if they had fixed this problem. They said they had "addressed it" Has anyone looked at a new one to see if this is true.