Questions

boeing777

Aug 22, 2011
Hi All,
Newbie and not a techie at that so please dumb it down! I have been searching through this forum for a bit but I have some questions that seem like pretty simple for some of you:
- What does it mean to root? What does it mean to tether?
- If I buy a 16GB Iconica and put in a 32GB SD card, will this allow me to operate like it was a 48GB machine? Are there any restrictions as to what I can store on the SD card? It seems like a dumb question but on my htc hero phone I am constantly running out of space on the internal space with apps cause I cant put them on the sd card. Same on this tab?
- I have read on here that the mic is really ****ty on the iconica. Can anyone confirm or deny this? One of the main reasons I want a tab is to skype my family on business trips so I want that to work well. Using a bluetooth mic is not an alternative for me.
- Is adobe reader or a suitable alternative available? I need to be able to read and search pdf easily.
-Is there a usable word processor and/or note taker?
- What is the battery life like? Average life with a mix or web/reading/media? I have seen a couple quotes but I would like to get some from those people who have used the iconica for a bit. Can the battery be easily replaced?
-where is the best place to buy an acer iconica?
Thanks in advance

mark57

Jun 29, 2011
Rooting= bypassing inbuilt control over some of the operating system limitations - like ability to uninstall some crapware the tablet comes preloaded with - not necessary for basic use

As far as i know, without rooting the tablet, you cant run apps from the sd card. You can store most everything else on it though. Ive dowloaded dozens of apps and i cant see that they will ever cause a problem space wise?

The mic is on the wrong side, and if you buy the acer sleeve dooby as a protective cover, it covers the mic up. Also, skype video doesn't work on a500s at present. I didnt find the sound recording that bad, but i only use skype as an intercom at home....

You can get a bunch of note/wp apps- I have "docs to go" which was $10 or something like that. Works fine.

I can watch hd video for at least three hours, and run kindle and music at the same time for at least 7 hours. I turn the screen brightness right down though. My battery is at 50% now and i watched video for two hours (the joys on train commuting), and have been on the web for an hour now.

Depends where in the world you are!

Hi All,
Newbie and not a techie at that so please dumb it down! I have been searching through this forum for a bit but I have some questions that seem like pretty simple for some of you:
- What does it mean to root? What does it mean to tether?
- If I buy a 16GB Iconica and put in a 32GB SD card, will this allow me to operate like it was a 48GB machine? Are there any restrictions as to what I can store on the SD card? It seems like a dumb question but on my htc hero phone I am constantly running out of space on the internal space with apps cause I cant put them on the sd card. Same on this tab?
- I have read on here that the mic is really ****ty on the iconica. Can anyone confirm or deny this? One of the main reasons I want a tab is to skype my family on business trips so I want that to work well. Using a bluetooth mic is not an alternative for me.
- Is adobe reader or a suitable alternative available? I need to be able to read and search pdf easily.
-Is there a usable word processor and/or note taker?
- What is the battery life like? Average life with a mix or web/reading/media? I have seen a couple quotes but I would like to get some from those people who have used the iconica for a bit. Can the battery be easily replaced?
-where is the best place to buy an acer iconica?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
I think you might need a laptop.
Tablet's are not laptop replacements for most people and from what you posted you're looking for a lower speced laptop i think.

boeing777

Aug 22, 2011
While I would eventually like a tablet to replace a notebook, I realize that it isn't at that level yet. The biggest thing I need it for is reading manuals in pdf, such a pain in the ass on my notebook. So I think a tablet should be ok but I just want to make sure it can do a few other things well, like skype (or another video chat thing) , web browsing (with flash.)

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
I just want to make sure it can do a few other things well, like skype (or another video chat thing) , web browsing (with flash.)

Yes you can do video chat with the a500. Download Tango & Fring from the Market both are Free. I suppose you have installed the Adobe Flash Player agin Free.