probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
What version of the remote control app are you using

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
I have had problems with the search function. After trying to go through different models it will say remote app has problem and will close. Where do you find the version #?

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
click menu-settings-applications then find the remote control app and it will tell you all about it. I havent updated and I am still stuck on the remote app that makes you manual click on each different model. If someone has the updated version of the remote app that searches models automatically for you i would love a copy of the apk

Bob_Michaels

Dec 21, 2011
Yes, on most of the devices that didn't have the model number in the preset database, attempting to do the "trial and error" method immediately resulted in that error. For the devices that are in the database I had no problems.

The claim to cover 95% of the CE devices has to be exaggerated - I have two radios, one stereo receiver and one CD player that aren't in the list. I was able to get most functions to work on the stereo by choosing a similar model number. I've only been able to get the play button to work on the Panasonic CD player to work (trying other models). I've found nothing to work on the two Sangean table radios. Luckily my TV, DVR and DVD player all are listed and working.

I just received my vtab last week and it auto updated as soon as I got the wireless working, so my use of the remote has been only WITH the latest update.

rakstr

Aug 5, 2011
Yes, on most of the devices that didn't have the model number in the preset database, attempting to do the "trial and error" method immediately resulted in that error. For the devices that are in the database I had no problems.

The claim to cover 95% of the CE devices has to be exaggerated - I have two radios, one stereo receiver and one CD player that aren't in the list. I was able to get most functions to work on the stereo by choosing a similar model number. I've only been able to get the play button to work on the Panasonic CD player to work (trying other models). I've found nothing to work on the two Sangean table radios. Luckily my TV, DVR and DVD player all are listed and working.

I just received my vtab last week and it auto updated as soon as I got the wireless working, so my use of the remote has been only WITH the latest update.

The remote is pretty much a joke. I've got many Vizio TVs, including the 65" 3D and my sole purpose for buying this tablet was to use as a universal remote in the game room with that TV. It doesn't even have all the controls needed for the TV let alone the other things like DVD/BR/AVR/DirecTV. Very annoying. HOWEVER, there is is a very cool remote app for DirecTV by cognitial that allows you to control any receiver in the house via your home network. Will run on many platforms. THIS APP is more what I was expecting. DO NOT BUY THIS TABLET IF THE VIZIO PROVIDED REMOTE IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, it falls WAY short of expectations

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
The remote is pretty much a joke. I've got many Vizio TVs, including the 65" 3D and my sole purpose for buying this tablet was to use as a universal remote in the game room with that TV. It doesn't even have all the controls needed for the TV let alone the other things like DVD/BR/AVR/DirecTV. Very annoying. HOWEVER, there is is a very cool remote app for DirecTV by cognitial that allows you to control any receiver in the house via your home network. Will run on many platforms. THIS APP is more what I was expecting. DO NOT BUY THIS TABLET IF THE VIZIO PROVIDED REMOTE IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, it falls WAY short of expectations

Sorry you feel that way. Remote works great for me. All of my devices in all of my rooms work just fine. But then I wasn't expecting the second coming with this remote. Just functionality

Bob_Michaels

Dec 21, 2011

I didn't get the tablet because of the remote app, just thought it might be an added benefit. I have Uverse TV, so the app you mentioned wouldn't be applicable. The really nice thing is that the VTAB remote does work for the Uverse (motorola) DVR/receiver. This is good because very few universal remotes work with that box (some Logitechs do) - even my Sony learning remote can't reproduce the signals. I was pleased that my Vizio TV could control the DVR and so does the VTAB. I do think it's silly that in the VIZIO VTAB remote app they have only partial functionality for their own TVs.

Added: I think the OP may be questioning whether the app crashes may be a result of the latest update.

Last edited:

sigel

Oct 28, 2011
To add in my cents.. I use the remote control app for all my devices and it works great.. love it... I would highly recommend it.

rakstr

Aug 5, 2011
Sorry you feel that way. Remote works great for me. All of my devices in all of my rooms work just fine. But then I wasn't expecting the second coming with this remote. Just functionality

It doesn't even include the most basic of buttons for their own sets. No second coming expected but a $10 OneForAll has the same capabilities and more. I expected things like the 3D button, VIA apps, ... at the VERY LEAST

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It doesn't even include the most basic of buttons for their own sets. No second coming expected but a $10 OneForAll has the same capabilities and more. I expected things like the 3D button, VIA apps, ... at the VERY LEAST

I agree but I wasn't expecting much. From Vizio we probably should though considering they are a tv company. I have heard some of the Market apps are quite nice for remotes though.

xkchief

Dec 8, 2011
I disagree w/ the Bad Mouthing of the VIZIO REMOTE it works perfect and I use it all the time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I disagree w/ the Bad Mouthing of the VIZIO REMOTE it works perfect and I use it all the time.

I wouldn't say it is bad mouthing, it is a simple functional remote that is easy to set up but nothing more. It's nothing like this though Samsung RMC30C2 3 Touch Screen Universal Remote and it could/should easily be that way considering Vizio is a tv manufacturer.

Personally I love that Sony and Vizio included this feature and wish it would become more standard since a tablet is sort of the perfect fit as a media consumption device.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I wouldn't say it is bad mouthing, it is a simple functional remote that is easy to set up but nothing more. It's nothing like this though Samsung RMC30C2 3 Touch Screen Universal Remote and it could/should easily be that way considering Vizio is a tv manufacturer.

Personally I love that Sony and Vizio included this feature and wish it would become more standard since a tablet is sort of the perfect fit as a media consumption device.

Wow, we have our own moderator now! :D

Vizio IR remote control app works.
Hovewer, it is nothing to write home about.
It would be great if we had full-blown IR remote control app. Such as RemoteControl II from wincesoft.
Unfortunately it is WinCE-only. I'd be glad to pay for such app had it be ported to Android.