"Required" Reading for Android Owners

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I know this place is all you "really need" to learn yourself all about android tablets :D but for all the important basics, can anyone suggest some decent but comprehensive books? I was considering " Android for Dummies" to start, and then you could decide where to go from there, but I think some recommendations for an intermediate or advanced Android book might be good to keep in mind for later.

That is... until someone transcribes, condenses & publishes everything here :D

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I wish I could give you something more definitive, but this whole technology is moving so rapidly I am afraid anything that I would recommend is going to be hopelessly out of date before you have a chance to get to the bookstore, much less buy the book (even if you have a Nook and can just download it...). Other than that, the books are really geared so much more toward the application and utility programmers, not to the daily users.

Of course, just like telling my daughters anything, now I am hoping to hear from others how wrong I am....

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Very true...

When researching tablets (on eBay) I noticed that almost every day there were new models out wth the features I liked, and they got better every day (more memory, faster, more features) so maybe it's just too early to publish anything more than programming or price guides, and even the latter will change almost daily, like the auto-mart papers. the CES vendors promised to bring out significantly new models in the summer of 2011, so you 'd probably have to rewrite the book again anyway.

It's a Good thing we havethings like Internet discussion forums, so you can actually get the most up-to-date information, literally!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Well the stuff in my signature was my attempt to make sense of it all, but this gets outdated fast.

It makes more sense to keep track of all the tablets by chipset. Then you can group down to manufacturer and form factor.

That's how it all makes sense to me anyway.

I do not know what book to recommend, but you can read some user manuals like the one for the Nexus One... Otherwise I am not sure...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
It's good reading, just like you said, and answered many questions I looked into before I purchased my S7, and many other good things to know for later on. Maybe you could compile it into a document that you can upload to all the freeware websites or the Market even?

Come to think of it- is there anything on the Market that would be good to read?

thx

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi Music,
Beleive me, apart from being dumb, I am also only 74 yrs. YOUNG - with lots to learn. It was real hard going when I got my A81E in mid-Aug 2010. Then the SW was so brittle it took lots of patience to do anything. But with help from the wonderful people like Xaueious, pbrauer, gurgle etc... and lots of experimenting I am NOW quite confident of handling my gadget. So in short just play with your S7 and soon you too can help us out. I do hope I don't sound too professorial or patronising
Vijay