[ROM] Ultimate Droid 3.3.0 on Nook Color (Gingerbread 2.3)

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
I downloaded 3.1.2 from the main link in the first post of this thread. Since then, I haven't changed/updated the kernel or installed a new "nightly". When I click "about" under UD settings, I see 2.6.29-omap1 as the kernel version (build# GRI54).

As I mentioned, at home, I am fine connecting to my network by entering my password only once. At work, I can't even get on open networks.

Thanks!

On that build I was fine - as I am on nightly # 4. I thought maybe it was an incompatibility issue with another kernel.
Slightly different take on this... at home I am always on, but at work I must re-enter my password every day (or 6 hrs of non-use) - so I go to my wifi, if needed, to turn it on (I read at night with it off to conserve some battery since I sync email and calendar and such), then I go to my browser, where I enter my credentials to access my network... does this help?

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
On that build I was fine - as I am on nightly # 4. I thought maybe it was an incompatibility issue with another kernel.
Slightly different take on this... at home I am always on, but at work I must re-enter my password every day (or 6 hrs of non-use) - so I go to my wifi, if needed, to turn it on (I read at night with it off to conserve some battery since I sync email and calendar and such), then I go to my browser, where I enter my credentials to access my network... does this help?

Thanks again for your reply (Thanks button is missing again from my browser).

Unfortunately, I can't even get to the step where I would launch the browser and hope that I'd be asked to enter username and password. It doesn't even connect to any of the networks. The status goes from "Scanning first, end the "Connecting-Disconnected" cycles regardless of what I pick...

Based on the performance of WiFi connection at home, I was hopeful that it was going to work better than the Nokie Froyo at work, but it turned out to be the opposite :(

EDIT: Just for fun, I started running JoikuSpot on my Nokia E71, which turns the phone into a little wireless router- and I was able to connect to it instantaneously. I'll try and see what the performance of UD-WiFi will be in a Starbucks, B&N, etc. Too bad that I wont be able to use it at work until I find a solution for this (if there is one).

Last edited:

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I cant seem to be able to connect via usb to move files onto nook? I remember the first time I did it, a UD window came up asking to connect as mass storage. No such window anymore?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I'm not trying to take any sides here, but there IS a lot of muddled history and I know that UD got banned from at least one forum for not properly giving credit to CM (that's some time in the past). But when I've occasionally gone to the UD site to see what they are doing these days, and doing a little digging, its not hard to find credit given for various features and tweaks. In fact, when I flashed UD for the NC, then going into Settings > Phone (or Tablet? ... I'm on CM7 n21 right now...hint hint hint), there is an extensive list of credits, with CM prominently listed and given credit for various features that are used in the UD ROM. My two cents is that UD flubbed bad in the past, but has shown their team is learning to properly give credit. Just saying and not defending anyone.

I am not personally familiar, but I know there is "history" between UD and CM. Regardless, I wish them both well, open source definitely pushes development. The advances we are having the pleasure of playing with would take YEARS from a paid source.

I had a similar experience ... more so on CM7 then UD. But nevertheless opted to have TiBu freeze SetCPU as otherwise it was chewing up my battery due to the conflict with the ROM's overclocking """feature""". Given my druthers, I wish both CM and UD would remove OC settings from their ROM or at least allow the option to turn off the built-in """feature""". Why? Built-in "generic" low-and-high-only, to me, is a big step backwards. SetCPU has profiles for a good reason that can be used effectively and is a proven app. Why create a 'crippled' form of overclocking in a ROM that does not allow CPU clocking at the higher end (screen on), clocking at the lower end (screen off), clocking down when battery is low, etc.? SetCPU already does all of that. That's just my two cents ... and don't flame me. The devs are doing a good job, just that I wish they'd nix trying to imitate SetCPU.

Have you tried out CPU Tuner? It has profiles similar to SetCPU but doesn't seem to peg the cpu in CM7 based roms. I have not had chance to test it out myself.

I would wager, and someone correct me if I am wrong here(and I know you will:)), that due to the fact that SetCPU is a paid app in order to effectively have OC capabilities on CM7 with dalingrins they have to bake it in since it is a free open source build. It would seem rather silly to have the oc kernal available for free but then force people to buy an app to utilize that particular option.

Just my 2 cents.

You and your pennies... what happened to the pics? SetCPU is a paid app, but there is also a free version that can be found if searched for my version number. Also, there is a different app (CPU Tuner) that has been recommended for profiles that don't peg CM7. Don't know much about it right now.

To my knowledge, the kernel installed on the UD roms (currently) comes with an upper clock limit of 925mhz but are not overclocked by default. One must set their cpu from 800 to 925mhz using SetCPU if they wish to overclock to 925mhz. If you wish not to use SetCPU, your cpu will be set at 800 mhz by default. Stock steppings will be the same as if stock NC kernel, 300/600/800mhz.

...nm, someone else answered this one.

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
I cant seem to be able to connect via usb to move files onto nook? I remember the first time I did it, a UD window came up asking to connect as mass storage. No such window anymore?

Try sliding the notification window down and click the USB connected notification. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
I would wager, and someone correct me if I am wrong here(and I know you will:)), that due to the fact that SetCPU is a paid app...

True that SetCPU is a paid app, but as long as I've been involved in Android rooting, its been made available for free by the dev over on XDA. All one has to do is register on the XDA forum (free) to see the download links for the various (free) versions -- tho the dev encourages satisfied users to buy it on the Market (one dollar and ninety-nine cents). Its a great app with a responsive dev, so seeing ROMs try to incorporate quasi-overclocking that can conflict with SetCPU just don't make sense to me.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Damn - you broke the code. Better call my witness protection contact ASAP!

Hey sorry about that I am a little homesick at the moment:(. I hope I didn't cause you any problems. Besides Mazo ain't exactly easy to find even if you already know where it is:p.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
True that SetCPU is a paid app, but as long as I've been involved in Android rooting, its been made available for free by the dev over on XDA. All one has to do is register on the XDA forum (free) to see the download links for the various (free) versions -- tho the dev encourages satisfied users to buy it on the Market (one dollar and ninety-nine cents). Its a great app with a responsive dev, so seeing ROMs try to incorporate quasi-overclocking that can conflict with SetCPU just don't make sense to me.

Kinda my point.

MazoMark

Mar 1, 2011
Hey sorry about that I am a little homesick at the moment:(. I hope I didn't cause you any problems. Besides Mazo ain't exactly easy to find even if you already know where it is:p.

No problems, just amazed anyone outside WI has heard of Mazo. Half the people in Madtown can't even pronounce the full town name.