Root for MID7035

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It probably would work, but it's hard to tell as that model is not a US model, according to your other post. You'll have to try it and let us know.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
People generally purchase Coby tablets for one of the following reasons:

• They can't afford anything else.
  • They want a second tablet that can be "beaten" on while travelling to work.
  • They are tinkerers who focus on getting the most out of these tablets.

There are a fair number of tablets in the 7" size that are better than a Coby. However, to proclaim that one is better than another without acknowledging its shortcomings is rather...shortsighted? The Coby's major shortcomings are in its processor and its lack of Google Play support out of the box. The Nexus' major shortcoming is that you cannot expand the amount of storage space if you wanted to. If people are willing to put up with the inability to expand the storage then the Nexus is a great choice. If expanding storage is a must, then a Nexus is not in the cards. However, even with the MicroSD slot in the Coby tablets, it's better to spend a little extra money and get a tablet in this size like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0", with a dual-core processor, ICS with Google Play installed, and the ability to expand the storage using a MicroSD card.

EDIT: This post was a response to a now-deleted post from a person who said the Nexus 7 was better. While I agreed with the poster, it's only fair to mention the shortcomings of the Nexus 7 as well.

Last edited:

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
It probably would work, but it's hard to tell as that model is not a US model, according to your other post. You'll have to try it and let us know.

I am happy to try and let you know the outcome.
according to the box, it is a us model as it refers to cobyusa.com, but you would have guessed that it is nowhere on the website.
i remember rooting my htc wildfire some time ago, but I have seen many posts about bricked cobys that I don't want to do anything wrong.

From what I read, there is no official or non official dump of the firmware, which means that I will not try installing one.
as for the recovery, I am not too sure clockwork mod would work on it either, so I will leave it alone too.
adb is installed on the pc, the driver for the tablet too, install from untrusted sources is ticked and so is USB debugging.

So basically I need to run the script for the 7035 and see.
best case scenario is root.
Bad case scenario is that it will tell me some files cannot be modified and no root.

If you don't fiddle with recovery, is it possible to brick your tablet just trying to root it?

Thanks

Lala

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well, you may want to try my version of the script in the Development Index sticky; it's part of the root tool I make available in post 3 of that sticky. You'll need to download the tool anyway in order to make a dump.

It's not likely that you will brick the tablet if you attempt to root it, however bricking is always a possibility.

Quick question: capacitive or resistive screen?

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
Quick question: capacitive or resistive screen?

Resistive :( , but for what I do with it, thats fine,
The 7032 is the same as 7030 with capacitive screen, no idea of the price, did not see any.

Even this damn 7030 does not seem to exist anywhere except ebay.:p

Will give it a shot when I can find the cable & keep you posted.

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
Ok, did it on the 7030.

Threw up quite a number of error messages, but when it finally rebooted, superuser was there and working.
I am now installing google play so that I can download Titanium Backup which I know requires root, and will confirm that this works when I have the answer.

Thanks again.

Lala

Edit: Confirmed by Root Check Pro:

Congratulations! You have root access!

:p

Thanks for the guidance and the tool.

Last edited:

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
Hi again.

gapps-ics-20120429-signed

Can I please have a bit of guidance regarding the adb commands to 1) push the files and 2) set the perms?
I found one thread on this then I lost it and cant find it again.

Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
adb push [filename] [location]. Permissions are 644 (rw-r--r--). Location will be \system\app.

You will not be able to copy the entire package to your tablet. Search my posts, as I link to a blog in a couple of them which list the necessary files in bold. Be sure to copy phonesky.apk, as that is the Play Store app itself. The blog post doesn't mention the file as it predates the change from Android Market to Google Play.

dukie85

Nov 20, 2012
By chance, does anybody know if this would work for a 7036? I plan on getting one in the next couple of weeks and wanna try to get it rooted not long after I get it.

oosrhoO

Dec 16, 2012
ok i have the 7036 and need to know exctly what you did. i did manage to get the android market place installed aside.but i need to know if you can do this from the tablet itself and just edit or execute the script files or whst?
thank you. also if this helps the swapping the sd card memory for the internl i would like to know thank you

oosrhoO

Dec 16, 2012
Here is a zip that will hopefully contain everything needed to root the kyros 7035 tablet. Someone please let me know if it doesn't work as I wasn't 100% sure what files I needed to include (I had downloaded many things so I don't know what actually worked). https://rapidshare.com/files/890193604/kyros7035_root.zip

im gtting a error saying adb is not recognized as an internal or exrternalmcommand.
at the end it sayss its rooted butmy tblt didnt reset or anything

Dec 19, 2012
Here is a zip that will hopefully contain everything needed to root the kyros 7035 tablet. Someone please let me know if it doesn't work as I wasn't 100% sure what files I needed to include (I had downloaded many things so I don't know what actually worked). https://rapidshare.com/files/890193604/kyros7035_root.zip

Thanks man! It worked flawlessly on my Coby 7033! I've tried a lot of methods to root this tablet, however none of them worked. But your method worked like a charm on the first try!