Stuck on the future of reading

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you Vic,Jp...I,'m going to have to wait till Sunday to find a moment and I let you know if I need any more help.
Gg
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I fixed everything, JP was right, I like easy solutions if there are any and I found it on the dev forum.When I rooted my nook was 1.0.1 and according to the developers- the execution of the eight uninterrupted boots will result in a reboot loop.( that's exatly what happened to me) and the way out of this is to shut down the nook and perform the hardware key based reset. And that was really easy. Thank you everybody who tryed to help
gloria

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gg glad oyu got it fixed. I think the hard button rest is the last step of the 8 reboot thread. Not sure if you used the insturctions here or not. Do you know if the update that tried to install was the 1.1 update? What version do you currently show?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
What I basically did to fix it was the reset to factory that is is anyway what one has to do after the 8boots. But the only way I knew for doing that was through the setting in the nook and being stuck I couldn't get there.So I just pressed (following dev instructions) at the same time home and power button and a dialog came out asking if I wanted to reset and I pressed continue and it was as simple as that.
To come to your second question, the resetting took me back to 1.0.0, that,s what I had when I bought the nook but not when I rooted it because a week after I bought it , the update to 1.0.1 was due and I got it automatically, Now I was thinking....when the next update will come,do you think I can get it with my nook at 1.0.0 or I have to manually update it to 1.1.0 ?
GG
I MISS MY setCPU the most,

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think you'll get it no matter what you're at or can at least do the new one by side loading. I am sure B&N will let you know if you have to update to a certain point to get the new update bit probably not. You might as well go ahead and update to 1.1 though shouldn't hurt anything.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I doubt it Gloria as the 'update' will actually be changing out the OS on the NC. Its much more than some bug fixes/feature updates. So it shouldn't matter what version you are currently running.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Great, so I won't even bother to update to 1.1.0. I' ll just wait for the " big update". In the meantime I'm playing less and reading more, that' s good too . So many things one can do with the nook, rooted or not it' s a great gagdet!
Gg

Westcoastlady

Apr 17, 2011
I'm reading this thread and thinking that it applies to what I'm going thru right now....but I'm such a newbie, I'm not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

My situation:

I rooted my Nook using the directions from "Rooting Your NookColor" (that I purchased from the B&N website). Everything worked great and I was totally happy.

Then....I decided to upload the Zeam program. It showed on my apps page and everything seemed to be fine.

I turned off my Nook and now I can't get it to get past drawing the little Android guy - it just keeps drawing him over and over and over.

I have tried turning off the Nook, but it just keeps coming back on. I did get it to shut off last night.

My questions - how can I get past this un-ending loop?

Should I be starting it with the SD card in or not?

I know there has to be a solution - and although I don't know a lot about computer stuff, I have managed to figure out solutions (with online help!) in the past....

Can someone point me in the right direction???? Please????

Thanks!!!!

Update - I *finally* got it to power off, so I'll wait for any input you can give me before I try to go Round #3....

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should alwys take the SD card out that you used to auotnooter and should not use it again unless you reformat it. Did you do anything before it got stuck, like trying to install CWR? If all you did was in stall Zeam you should not have gotten stuck. In the mean time make sure you charge it so you have a full charge to work with going forward.

Westcoastlady

Apr 17, 2011
Update to my saga -

I was able to get back into the Nook. I can access my books and the internet.

The main problems I seem to be having now are:

When I go into "Device Settings/Device Info/About your Nook Color", it shows "Software Version - Unavailable"

When I also try to "Erase & Deregister Device", it just sits there saying "Deregistering...." and does nothing.

When I am in the Extras section and click on YouTube or Facebook (for example), the screen rolls to the left and then reverts back to the Extras section page.

Also, my "Market" app has disappeared, but my Zeam Launcher icon is still there (it doesn't do anything, but it's there)

I don't know enough about programs and fixes to know exactly what I need to do at this point.

HELP!!!! Please :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like you are either rooted incompletely or restored to stock incompletely. Not sure why you were trying to erase and deregister. At this point I would suggest restoring using the 8 boots method and rerooting. If you are looking for a shortcut you can probably try using the autonooter card again and see what happens but if you have issues it may not overwrite the bad files.

To get back on track start here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tock-rom-using-stock-nook-color-recovery.html

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to my saga -

I was able to get back into the Nook. I can access my books and the internet.

The main problems I seem to be having now are:

When I go into "Device Settings/Device Info/About your Nook Color", it shows "Software Version - Unavailable"

When I also try to "Erase & Deregister Device", it just sits there saying "Deregistering...." and does nothing.

When I am in the Extras section and click on YouTube or Facebook (for example), the screen rolls to the left and then reverts back to the Extras section page.

Also, my "Market" app has disappeared, but my Zeam Launcher icon is still there (it doesn't do anything, but it's there)

I don't know enough about programs and fixes to know exactly what I need to do at this point.

HELP!!!! Please :)

Sounds like you have a slightly screwed up operating system; it's stuck in between an auto update of either 1.0.1 to 1.1 or 1.0.0 to 1.1. This is due to a bad auto update failure.

The only fix is to do a factory reset: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tock-rom-using-stock-nook-color-recovery.html

I would advice you to backup your apps to your sd card with Astro file manager or Titanium Backup if possible.

Next time around, make some provision to stopping auto update, update to b&n software 1.1 or install Clockworkmod recovery.

Westcoastlady

Apr 17, 2011
It sounds like you are either rooted incompletely or restored to stock incompletely.

To get back on track start here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tock-rom-using-stock-nook-color-recovery.html

Thank you soooooo much!!!! This is exactly what I needed to see :) It worked!! It worked!!

Now can someone tell me where this mysterious "thanks" button is?? I don't see it...and you deserve thanks for guessing what my problem was and pointing me to the solution. (edit: found it!!! Thanks to all!!!!) I had already done the first part - just needed to do the "power + N button" reset to get back to stock....

Ahhhhh. Now to set about educating myself and re-rooting it :)

Last edited:

Westcoastlady

Apr 17, 2011
Okay, before I lose you guys and while you're still enjoying my lavish thanks - can you point me to the best way for a newbie to root the Nook?

I'm a big fan of the way the iphone is set up and I'm new to the whole Android thing. I'm open to all suggestions!!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Okay, before I lose you guys and while you're still enjoying my lavish thanks - can you point me to the best way for a newbie to root the Nook?

I'm a big fan of the way the iphone is set up and I'm new to the whole Android thing. I'm open to all suggestions!!!!

Sure, this one is easy. Here is everything you need to know about rooting (maybe even a little too much if that is possible).

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

In simplified terms:
Use your gmail for your B&N account.
Download the appropriate autonooter for your B&N version.
Unzip the file and burn the image to an SD card.
Power off your nook and insert the card.
Plug your nook into your pc via usb.
Let it autonooter, when done power down and REMOVE the autonooter SD card.
Boot up and install a home launcher (zeam for example).

JP