Synrgic Dreambook W7

androidnoob

Aug 19, 2011
Hi,

I am running 2.3.3 version on my dreambook. But I am not able to connect to internet. Even WiFi was also not working but it's working now after setting WiFi sleep policies to NEVER.
Does anyone know how do I get the internet working in dreambook 2.3.3 version? Are there any settings to be done in order for internet to work flawlessly?

Thanks in advance.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
Hi,

I am running 2.3.3 version on my dreambook. But I am not able to connect to internet. Even WiFi was also not working but it's working now after setting WiFi sleep policies to NEVER.
Does anyone know how do I get the internet working in dreambook 2.3.3 version? Are there any settings to be done in order for internet to work flawlessly?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you got your WiFi internet working, are you now trying to get the 3G (moblie) internet working?

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
Here's how :
1. from stock firmware, upgrade to firmware v20. You still can download v20 from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11839213/V20.rar
2. after upgrading, see if you have HD105 or HD 104.
3. from then on, go to synrgic site and download the latest firmware based on you hardware version.
- latest version is v25. for HD104, it is still Android 2.2. for HD105, it is now android 2.3.
Just a couple of more questions for you kopeland:
1) Is one hardware version better than the other (HD104 vs HD105)? If so, which is better and in what ways?
2) Is the upgrade to V25 worth it for either or both of the hardware versions?
3) What problems am I likely to have with each (HD104 vs HD105) after the upgrade, and are there workarounds for all (or at least most) of them? Any problems with either version that can't be overcome or worked around? I know about the GPS speed indicator being double actual speed, but I'm not sure whether that appiles to both versions, or about which other issues haven't been resolved and which hardware version is affected with each issue.

I've read through this entire thread, and I know the answers to most of these questions are here, but its 49 pages, but I'm having trouble keeping it all straight (which issues aren't solved and which harware version they affect). Some kind of summary from one of you experts would be very beneficial to us noobs. That way we can go into the upgrade process with our eyes wde open and know exactly what to expect. I know there's nothing really "in it" for you, but if some kind-hearted soul with the knowledge could summarize it all that would be a great service to those of us who are new to the whole process.

Thanks for all your help so far and in advance for your future efforts. This kind of spirit is what makes forums like this worthwile.

Last edited:

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
Let's see if I can help (although I don't have my Dreambook anymore):
1) Is one hardware version better than the other (HD104 vs HD105)? If so, which is better and in what ways?
I've heard that HD105 is newer, battery has more capacity and "a few other issues corrected". I had a HD104, and all issues people talked about HD105 also applied to me, so I'd say there is no better hardware here... :)

2) Is the upgrade to V25 worth it for either or both of the hardware versions?
I tend to say yes. There are some issues with 3g on V25, so you may need to keep 3g enabled all the time. Other than this, V25 is the most stable version so far.

3) What problems am I likely to have with each (HD104 vs HD105) after the upgrade, and are there workarounds for all (or at least most) of them? Any problems with either version that can't be overcome or worked around? I know about the GPS speed indicator being double actual speed, but I'm not sure whether that appiles to both versions, or about which other issues haven't been resolved and which hardware version is affected with each issue.
Battery will be an issue for both, and I see no workaround. For the time I had Android 2.3 on my HD104 tablet, I've seen that the governor was smarter than in V25, but not enough to save battery power. Actually, the problem seems worse, according to testimonials.
The only workaround I found for the 3g issue was to keep it on all the time, but this makes the battery problem worse.
The radio issue on my HD104 was "solved" by updating to 2.3 and then back to 2.2. Actually, I just checked that radio started working after downgrade.

Due to lack of repeatablility, I don't know if all workarounds mentioned would work for everybody, even for those who have the same HD10_.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
I tend to say yes. There are some issues with 3g on V25, so you may need to keep 3g enabled all the time. Other than this, V25 is the most stable version so far.

Battery will be an issue for both, and I see no workaround. For the time I had Android 2.3 on my HD104 tablet, I've seen that the governor was smarter than in V25, but not enough to save battery power. Actually, the problem seems worse, according to testimonials.
The only workaround I found for the 3g issue was to keep it on all the time, but this makes the battery problem worse.
The radio issue on my HD104 was "solved" by updating to 2.3 and then back to 2.2. Actually, I just checked that radio started working after downgrade.
Can't you just turn the 3G off with airplane mode when you aren't using it to save battery - or is there a problem with getting it to turn back ON when you do that?

Radio problem? Are you talking about problems with the FM radio or with the 3G "radio"?

I'm not that concerned about 3G since I don't currently have a data plan and probably won't sign up for one right away - or at all if it doesn't work right. Though I did talk to an AT&T customer service rep the other day and found out I can sign up for a 200Mb a month "starter plan" for only $10 set up and $15 a month. They said that 200Mb is enough to view about 500 web pages.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
Does anybody else have any input or opinions on the questions I've posted?

A couple of other questions about the V20 upgrade. If the HD104 and HD105 hardware versions have significant differences, is the V20 rom optimised more for one version than the other? Or does it work equally well (or poorly) on both?

Lastly, is there a way to back up the current ROM version before ugrading - just in case a person wants to go back?

Last edited:

androidnoob

Aug 19, 2011
Sounds like you got your WiFi internet working, are you now trying to get the 3G (moblie) internet working?

Thanks BobC. I can see the WiFi connected but I am not able to browse through any of the websites. Does it require 3G (mobile) internet working to browse through sites?

I am not getting even if wifi is in working state why am I not able to connect any of the websites?

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
Thanks BobC. I can see the WiFi connected but I am not able to browse through any of the websites. Does it require 3G (mobile) internet working to browse through sites?

I am not getting even if wifi is in working state why am I not able to connect any of the websites?
3G doesn't have to work to connect to WiFi. That sounds more like a WiFi access point configuration issue to me. Sounds like your tablet isn't getting a valid IP address, or the right gateway and DNS info from the access point.

Are you having this problem when connecting to your home WiFi network or is it happening when connecting to a public WiFi hotspot (like at a Starbucks)? If it is on your own home network it could even be a problem with the security key settings...

Last edited:

mightyiam

Mar 5, 2011
BobC, Backing up current ROM is possible via the ClockworkMod Recovery. It is called NANDROID. You'd have to replace the stock recovery with CWM Recovery.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
BobC, Backing up current ROM is possible via the ClockworkMod Recovery. It is called NANDROID. You'd have to replace the stock recovery with CWM Recovery.
Sorry I'm such a noob, but about half of that may (or may not) have gone right over my head.

What I think I understood from your post is that ClockworkMod Recovery is a separate piece of software that will read every byte of every memory chip on the board and store all the data in a recovery file so that the data it contains can later be re-written to all the original locations? And the program that does this is called NANDROID? And then after flashing if you wanted to revert back to your earlier ROM, you would replace the new ROM's recovery files in the root of the tablet's internal storage with the file you created using the NANDROID/ClockworkMod Recovery software?

Is that all correct? If so, where do I get this NANDROID/Clockwork Recovery software? Does it run on your tablet or on a PC connected to your table? Or am I all wrong in what I thought I understood?

Last edited:

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
Sorry I'm such a noob, but about half of that may (or may not) have gone right over my head.

What I think I understood from your post is that ClockworkMod Recovery is a separate piece of software that will read every byte of every memory chip on the board and store all the data in a recovery file so that the data it contains can later be re-written to all the original locations? And the program that does this is called NANDROID? And then after flashing if you wanted to revert back to your earlier ROM, you would replace the new ROM's recovery files in the root of the tablet's internal storage with the file you created using the NANDROID/ClockworkMod Recovery software?

Is that all correct? If so, where do I get this NANDROID/Clockwork Recovery software? Does it run on your tablet or on a PC connected to your table? Or am I all wrong in what I thought I understood?

You are getting there. The ClockworkMod Recovery is a... recovery software. You install it in your tablet (there is a guide for this some pages ago). Then, when you enter the recovery (Power up while pressing back+home), you'll see several options. One of them is Nandroid. And yes, it will backup every byte of the memory. Just be sure to copy your backup to a safe place (e.g. a an SD card), as the current firmwares will erase all data from the tablet. This may change when a custom firmware appears, but current firmwares from Synrgic will mostly wipe all data from the tablet.

For restoring the image, also use Nandroid.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
You are getting there...

...For restoring the image, also use Nandroid.
Cool! So once it is intalled is NANDROID in a protected portion of the root memory, where it will survive the upgrade to be able to do a restore later? Or would it be wiped out by the upgrade and have to be reinstalled before you can use it to restore the old ROM? Where to I get the magical little piece of software?

Last edited:

mightyiam

Mar 5, 2011
NANDROID is a name for a backup method which consists of dumping the filesystems' contents from the NAND to a directory on the SD. You can find CWM recovery for W7 somewhere a few pages back.

BobC

Aug 4, 2011
You are getting there. The ClockworkMod Recovery is a... recovery software. You install it in your tablet (there is a guide for this some pages ago). Then, when you enter the recovery (Power up while pressing back+home), you'll see several options. One of them is Nandroid. And yes, it will backup every byte of the memory. Just be sure to copy your backup to a safe place (e.g. a an SD card), as the current firmwares will erase all data from the tablet. This may change when a custom firmware appears, but current firmwares from Synrgic will mostly wipe all data from the tablet.

For restoring the image, also use Nandroid.
Felipe, you never did answer the questions I asked about the 3G and radio problems you mentioned a couple of posts back.