TF101 will not charge

sbh

Aug 29, 2011
Hello all if you are having problems with the OE charger here is a great option. Invest in one of these
Dynex Universal camera/ camcord Power adapter DX/DA - works great,charges awesome,long cord,no crappy cheap plug. you can buy at Best Buy for $30, or online amazon or ebay for around $7 or so. I bought 2 one for home and work. you still need you OE cable, but toss the plug.

lordofthering

Feb 26, 2012
Contact Asus support and get another charger from them. I posted a response to a problem with the cable end breaking in this forum. 2 days later, I got a response from Asus and they sent be a new cable without any fuss. I have been an Asus client for many years, and whenever I had a problem, they have always been quick to response without any hassle. Also, the label on the charging block says its 5 amps, but what is doesn't say is that it is usb 3.0. The cable that comes with the block for the transformer is a usb 3 cable. If you use an extension cable with it (as many have done because its so short) it must be a usb 3.0 extension cable; a usb 2.0 cable will not work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

I had similar problem and pins from charger came out. my TF101 is still under warrenty. ASUS is asking me to send charger back to them at my own shipping cost. Ridiculous...After 1/2 hour discussion they agreed that i can send pictures in and they will let me know. After sending picture, I called them and customer service had the same story of me sending charger back at my cost. They are saying they only cover one way shipping. I do not think I will ever buy a ASUS product regardless of what product is. Their customer service is like a 1st grader old school recruitment. Search for their customer service issue and you will find 1000s of people crying about their poor service. ASUS deserve to go out of business or fix their problem asap..

elm775

Mar 2, 2012
Ive joined this forum just to say thanks. I had a bit of a panic as tf101 not charging but read this thread and hey presto its now charging. I put the plug in a bag stuck it in the freezer for 5 minutes (im impatient) plugged it into socket held breath and plugged into tablet, eureka!!!!!!
So a huge thanks due.

whftom

Mar 25, 2012
I too just joined to say thanks. We have had our Transformer for about 25 days and it would not turn on--it would only show a mostly black battery with a bit of red (20%) upon hold power button down for about 5 seconds-then go totally black again. The ziplock/freezer trick worked! Thanks to the "nuts" guy who posted this trick.
tom

Tokyokid

Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the freezer trick. Worked without a hitch.

Got the wife's TF101 charging after a couple of frustrating days.

wendyace832

Apr 1, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the Forum and only a little tech-savy. My 2-month old Transformer 101 just stopped working. I've tried rebooting as suggested and the text appears but when I press the volume again, I'm still stuck at the Asus logo with a twirling circle...unendingly! A couple of times, the screen showed the little android symbol on his back with a red exclamation mark over his open stomach ???? I can't find out what that means... Has anyone had this happen? Thanks, Wendy

davee5250

Apr 30, 2012
My ASUS 16G tablet charges but very slow..when you plug in to charge table becomes very sluggish.. but unplug the power cord
and its normal speed... any ideas to what to try?
thanks in advance

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
My ASUS 16G tablet charges but very slow..when you plug in to charge table becomes very sluggish.. but unplug the power cord
and its normal speed... any ideas to what to try?
thanks in advance

That is strange. How are you charging it, with the included wall wart?

I would try a hard reset. Power down and then hold VOL DOWN and then POWER for 10-12 seconds until some small text appears. The next screen has 2 icons, the android on the right will be highlighted. Wait about 10 seconds and it will cold-boot linux.

This will NOT wipe your tablet (that is a factory data reset). This just clears out the cache and davlik cache which is not cleared on a normal boot.

davee5250

Apr 30, 2012
That is strange. How are you charging it, with the included wall wart?

I would try a hard reset. Power down and then hold VOL DOWN and then POWER for 10-12 seconds until some small text appears. The next screen has 2 icons, the android on the right will be highlighted. Wait about 10 seconds and it will cold-boot linux.

This will NOT wipe your tablet (that is a factory data reset). This just clears out the cache and davlik cache which is not cleared on a normal boot.[/QUOTE

I am charging it with the wall wart..it charges up in about 2 hours ...but when the charger is plugged into the tablet, it is no responsive..meaning it will not let you touch the shut down screen open screen or anything..but as soon as you unplug the cord the tablet works normally..and is fully charged.. dunno whats going on..i tried the hard reset several times, but the problem still continues..
thanks for your quick reply..

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I was going to suggest flipping the plug over (changing the polarity) as in the US the plug if flipped will cause a tingle on the metal parts of the TF since the plug is not properly polarized.

I see you are in AU, so if you have the AU plug it is polarized. If you are using an international adapter, try flipping the plug in the adapter if it is possible.

davee5250

Apr 30, 2012
I was going to suggest flipping the plug over (changing the polarity) as in the US the plug if flipped will cause a tingle on the metal parts of the TF since the plug is not properly polarized.

I see you are in AU, so if you have the AU plug it is polarized. If you are using an international adapter, try flipping the plug in the adapter if it is possible.

Sorry, its exactly the same..dunno..any other ideas please...
thank you for your time and patience

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I am out of ideas. I have not heard about a TF101 acting sluggish when it is plugged into the wall.

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
The only thing I can think of is a possible short somewhere. Sometimes when there is a short that isn't a complete short but enough to drain power by causing polarity feedback. I It's a long shot...

Mr3512

May 30, 2012
I've read a bit and maybe it's just the charger, but my tablet is not charging at all. I have almost no charge left now, and I did not check the specific number but I do have the latest firmware.

Actually, I just plugged it in, and it's starting again. But now that I see it, no it's not charging still.